By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is so bad about Nintendo's online service vs. the others (PSN, Xbox Live)

ZyroXZ2 said:
GoOnKid said:

I'm with OP here, I never understood this either. Bad connection is not a Nintendo only thing, that happens on the other consoles as well, but this gets comfortably swept under the rug. That's a double standard that gets blindly repeated without any critical thinking.

Voice chat is insanely overrated and terribly unneccessary, I couldn't care less. However, like OP already mentioned, there are indeed many games that feature this, but let's ignore that for the sake of complaning.

Okay, some people love trophies, some people on the other hand look behind them and see no value at all. I am from the second group. To me, trophies are useless filler to stretch boring games that should rather stretch themselves naturally by good game design instead of obnoxious and out of bund tasks that no regular player would do otherwise. However, many games from Nintendo have some sort of in-game trophy system as well 'but, yeah, that's just not the same thing at all!'

Chats and communities were a thing with Miiverse, which was great and I loved it so much, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. However, Nintendo didn't end it just because, they ended it because trolls kept posting inappropriate shit and thought they were funny. Congrats, trolls! Let's thank these idiots for all the laughs, they sure make up for the removal of Miiverse. Bratty behavior like this is why we can't have nice things.

Do family plans, people. Even if you're only two members, you already save money. It's also really super simple.

@ZyroXZ2: '...and the mobile app also pales in comparison to the Xbox mobile app which DIRECTLY allows me to save screenshots and video captures to my phone if I want to just send it to friends privately. Yea, that means Xbox's servers also host your screenshots and video captures...'

You CAN transfer screenshots to your phone with the Switch, this was implemented in an update. So that means Nintendo's servers also host your screenshots and video captures.

I know I can transfer it to my phone, I've done it tons of times during MHRise to send videos to other people on weapon combo damage, and it is NOT hosted by Nintendo's servers: it's sent to your phone directly via the Switch through WiFi.

And clearly I was referring to the mobile app.  Did you know I DON'T need to pair my phone up briefly to download it from a browser with the Xbox app?  That when I hit the capture button on the controller, the Xbox auto-uploads it to their servers, and all I do is grab my phone, pull up the app, and everything is right there ready to download to my phone?  You might think you can take all the bullets to save Nintendo from this one, but you're seriously outnumbered.  And I'm not talking public opinion: Nintendo's "online" aspects are massively outpaced by literally every platform in gaming with the only exception being Miiverse, the one good online thing they did (despite its community being, erhm, a bit eccentric...) that they canned.  They literally do NOT understand online gaming at its core (friend codes, ANYONE?!), and then they also took away the VC which I literally am included in the many people that liked it.  Nintendo literally took away two of their good things and gave us... whatever the fuck NSO is lol

To whoever it was that said most Switch games are on cloud saves:

No, the cloud saves do not include most games, just the popular exclusives and bigger games.  I can literally point to games right now on my Switch that don't have it because the cloud saves are based on the game, not on the user profile.  Another backwards-minded "online" concept of theirs...

I'm not taking any bullets, I just can't figure out how something so insanely minor can be such a big deal. Moleholes and mountains. Alright I admit it, I was wrong, the images are not on Nintendos servers. So what? How does this matter? Genuine question, how many people even send screenshots around? Of course you will say a lot. Of course I will say a few.

The most important complaint I hear is bad connectivity, and I'd argue that this is probably the only relevant point at all in this entire discussion. But, shockingly enough, this problem exists with Playstation and Xbox as well, however only Nintendo gets dissed about it. Why is that? Because people are fooled into thinking that a high price must mean a high quality service. Dropouts, connectivity issues, wifi problems, lag, staggering and buffering, all this happens on all consoles. But shhhh, that's not what the crowd wants to hear.

Around the Network

I'm sure everything I'm about to say has been said already but,  here goes...

Also, I use Xbox online instead of Playstation so some of these may or may not apply to PSN. I also have Nintendo's online service. 

- If you see your friend playing online, you can't join request to join them. You can't message them. You basically know they're online and that's it. 

- You can't follow their "feed". Screenshots, accomplishments,  etc. You don't get thar.  Just a list of games that they play and how long they have played it. 

- On Xbox,  every game is automatically backed up.  No matter what you play on (console, PC, another console,  streaming) as soon as you log in, your save is there.  On Nintendo, it's a whole process of restoration that doesn't always work. My Bayonetta save is backed up but won't transfer to my Switch Lite. Animal Crossing wasn't supported and needed an entire transfer app.

- On Xbox, digital games are available on the primary Xbox whether online or offline. They're also available on a second Xbox as long as you're logged in. You can literally buy a game and play it on two different systems at the same time.

-Same thing applies to the Online service. You can use it on the primary system no matter what and on a secondary system as long as you're logged in. 

- You can message, follow, send friend requests to people who are not your friend. 

- You can "gift" games to other gamers as long as you know their name

- You can group chat, group message, send pics, and follow specific game communities 

- You can "co-pilot" someone else's game.  If you're watching them play (streaming) they can turn the controls over to you and you can play their game. 

-Leader boards for most games compare your scores, achievements, bullets fired, miles driven, etc to your friends 

- "free" Xbox 360 and Xbox One games every month. Some great. Some such.

- Monthly discounts for subscribers 

- Any game captures or screenshots are readily available at any time on your mobile device 

- even without subscription, you can stream/play on a PC as long as it's on the same network. Possibly a mobile device as well. 

-Full web browsers (a full and complete version of Microsoft Edge that allows you to save and download content to your system)

-Mod support for a handful of games

I know I'm missing a lot more features. And I know a lot of what I'm posting won't appeal to you but there you go.  Meanwhile, on Nintendo I've never successfully played with one of my close to 100 friends. On the Wii U (oddly enough), I have. I haven't played Mario Kart 8 online in a while but when I did, I always lost connection after a few games. I couldn't even log into Resident Evil's website without paying for the online service. $20 a year is basically nothing and I do have great nostalgia for the SNES Era...and great ptsd for the NES Era. I loathe the N64 and have no strong feelings for the Sega Genesis, either way.  Believe it or not,  Nintendo is my favorite gaming company but their service is not even on par with the original Xbox or PS2--systems that came out two decades ago!

Here's my Switch ID:SW-0666-6288-1304

Also, I THINK free to play online games are free on every system but part of me is saying Nintendo still requires you to have their service for free to play games. If so, they would be the only one who charges. Again, I have their service but I just don't play my Switch online. I haven't in months. I only resubscribed to transfer Animal Crossing and it wasn't supported at the time. I'm seriously debating canceling it when my subscription expires. 

d21lewis said:

Also, I THINK free to play online games are free on every system but part of me is saying Nintendo still requires you to have their service for free to play games. If so, they would be the only one who charges. Again, I have their service but I just don't play my Switch online. I haven't in months. I only resubscribed to transfer Animal Crossing and it wasn't supported at the time. I'm seriously debating canceling it when my subscription expires. 

That is false. You don't need NSO for f2p online games.

And why do so many people have issues with the cloud saves? I got a new Switch last year and had no issue transfering over 150 games to the new Switch. Only Splatoon 2 required me to transfer the save file manualy, but it only took like 10 minutes.

Kakadu18 said:
d21lewis said:

That is false. You don't need NSO for f2p online games.

And why do so many people have issues with the cloud saves? I got a new Switch last year and had no issue transfering over 150 games to the new Switch. Only Splatoon 2 required me to transfer the save file manualy, but it only took like 10 minutes.

Wasn't sure. I know Sony always had free to play games available with no extra cost and Microsoft just started the policy this year. I had Switch Online since the beginning and when it lapsed, I couldn't even go to RE.Net without the subscription. It's good that they're customer friendly in that regard. A lot of the most popular online games are free to play.

I have probably 60 games but I haven't really tried to transfer many of them. I rarely play the Switch Lite. It usually works pretty well but for some reason, Bayonetta 1 didn't cross. It says it's backed up on the primary switch but the second one doesn't recognize it.

Around the Network

They all suck. Making you pay for things that should have always been free and renting you crap that you barely play to make you feel like your money is not being wasted. That's it, somebody had to say it. PS Plus sucks, NSO sucks, Xbox Gold sucks. But hey, if you guys want to discuss that much which one is less bad, by all means, keep the conversation going.

xPhenom08x said:

I have Nintendo Online and Playstation Network, I seriously don't understand what I am being offered with Playstation Network that I should be taking advantage of. The usual complaints I see are bad connection/quality, the voice chat app, missing party chat, and bad value.

Bad Connection/Quality I guess must depend on the game. I have always used ethernet so I just don't see any difference when playing Overwatch on Switch and PS4. Visually yes but connection no. Paladins and Rogue Company also have great connection for me. Smash Bros I have experienced some lag. Sounds more like a Smash problem since other Nintendo games run great online like Splatoon. So I just don't see the issue here.

Missing party chat is legit, I personally am no longer a fan because I hate getting into lobbies of games and everyone is in party chat with friends. Kind of hard to cooperate with teammates when no one is talking. Miss the good old days of toxic talk in lobbies of Call of duty. The game starts and we go at it. So yes I don't care for it but Ninty should probably add it one day.

Bad value, I don't agree with this either. Alot of you ignore the family plan because you can't admit that would be an awesome feature if Sony added it. Ninty knows it exist so they have to keep it in mind when deciding what to offer in it. Everyone gets the same benefits so I seriously pay Ninty $5 a year(7 people on my plan) I'll take that over 60 a year with games I don't care for. They are usually old so if I wanted I would not have waited. Nintendo knows up to 8 different systems could pay less than 5 dollars a year for their service without discounts or finding it cheaper. Whom ever gets the closes to zero for online multiplayer is the best value to me. 

The voice app? Who even uses that? Some of the posters truly believe you can't even voice chat on Switch lmao. News flash, only Nintendo games and a select few third parties use that app. It's completely up to the developer on whether to use that app. Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Paladins, Rogue Company, Warface, Rocket League and nearly every other online multiplayer game on Switch supports just plugging in a headset and talk like every other system. 

In closing, I can understand someone that truly takes advantage of those free games could love Sony/Micro's value but I seriously doubt if both companies offered a lower multiplayer only plan people wouldn't jump for it. When PS3 had free online, Sonys subscribers for PSN was far lower. Online multiplayer is all the majority wants and Nintendo offers the closes to zero. So I personally don't see how they are better. 

You are totally rigth, in a family program you pay 10 bucks a year for the premium plan, no other company (Sony/MS) offer it.

34 years playing games.

Bandorr said:

Two prong reasons.
1) I'm not looking for 7 other people to split a plan with. The assumption that you can do this automatically and without hassle is insane.
2) I like those games. Some are old some are new. But at least they all came out this century.

Oh and 3 ) Proper cloud saves. It saves any game. None of this "pick and choose" crap Nintendo is pulling.

Oh and maybe 4) Does Nintendo give discounts based on having their service? I don't think so but I'm not 100% sure. The discounts PS and Xbox give are quite nice.

If i remember correctly, in another thread you said:

"That may be one of the quickest nopes I've ever done.

From $35 to $80. An additional $45 for a handful of N64, Genesis and WTF ever comes with Animal crossing. They are insane".

So your post in that thread imply taht you have a family subscription to NSO... so why are you now telling us that is not of your interest to look for people to get in your family plan?, i think you don't even have a Switch.

Link to the thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245335/what-the-literal-heck-nintendo/1/

34 years playing games.

Before I begin I don't claim to be an expert on this, I have a PS4 and have never paid for online either. 

From my perspective the quality of online play on Wii was pretty bad. I remember trying to play Brawl and giving up because the game lagged so much. I also recall painful match ups leading to large gaps between matches and a crashing system (when they drop out) - not necessarily Nintendos fault but there was no attempt to improve this. BUT it was free! So why complain? In addition I was allowed to pay for and download the odd classic game, fine by me.

Now we have Switch, I tried Ultimate using the online trial, my experience? Pretty much the same as the Wii days. Except now we pay... and I'm also asked to pay to store my Pokemon... oh AND again to transfer from previous generations. 

And then we have expansion passes, anyone remember this?:

"And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, ‘let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan. We're definitely not doing that" - 2012 Iwata

Im sorry but that is definitely happening nowdays, again Pokemon being a big culprit. 

If the service was more reliable and more was included I'd consider paying, but when the best they've got is "pay significantly more to not own these games"... I'm just not interested. 

Then I compare this to my online FREE experience on Steam? No competition.

Bandorr said:
Teriol said:

If i remember correctly, in another thread you said:

"That may be one of the quickest nopes I've ever done.

From $35 to $80. An additional $45 for a handful of N64, Genesis and WTF ever comes with Animal crossing. They are insane".

So your post in that thread imply taht you have a family subscription to NSO... so why are you now telling us that is not of your interest to look for people to get in your family plan?, i think you don't even have a Switch.

Link to the thread: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/245335/what-the-literal-heck-nintendo/1/

Shilling I get. You are getting paid "secretly" to advertise a product. What I don't get is this type of comment. You aren't being paid by Nintendo. You get nothing from this desperate fanatically defense of a company.  I also get nothing for "Defaming" a company and would get nothing from lying about having a switch. So getting this stupidity out of the way I'll move on.

I have three switches (OG, Animal Crossing, Lite).  I also have the Nintendo online family plan with one person.  Let's reiterate that part to be clear ONE person.  So my family plan is two.

35/2 = 17.5 80/2 = 40.

The original poster of this thread has a family plan with six other people.  That's 7 people.

35/7 = 5.  80/7 =  11 (ish)

So to take the argument "Everyone gets the same benefits so I seriously pay Ninty $5 a year(7 people on my plan)" you would need 6 other people. Of which I'm calling out that BS.  I'm not hunting down 5 additional people to make the fee lower. Thus my point of calling it insane.

To argue it is "$5" you also have to have 6 other people. If you don't - it doesn't. One requires the other.

I hope this very basic math lesson has solved the problem for you. If you need additional tutoring look elsewhere I will give such childish actions no more attention.

Just keep paying the basic plan, its more afordable, and by the things you are saying you dont want N64 or Megadrive, so keep paying 19.99 a year, see? Sony or MS don't offer you a basic plan like that, there are other people like me that see a lot of value on a 10 bucks or less for  the Premiun plan on a family plan and we dont have a problem looking for another people to join us, man its just send a f*** mail and done you are now in the family group.

34 years playing games.