By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is so bad about Nintendo's online service vs. the others (PSN, Xbox Live)

Chrizum said:
xPhenom08x said:

I asked because I was hoping for better and even acknowledged things I didn't remember like messages. Stop the ninty witch hunt and accept someone cam disagree for the reasons I mentioned. Not everything you list is valid just because you think so.

Thank you for proving my point.

Ok bud



Around the Network

All online services are bad as long as they paywall online gaming.
But in regards to Nintendo in particular:
-Price in relation to what it offers: even cheaper than others, the quality of the online and the features you get are paultry at best.
-The amount of services previously free now blocked to make the service more enticing:the VC in particular is egregious, since there's no way to purchase them individually, you have to keep paying them forever. Being unable to physically save your saved games is also bad, since now you're forced to rely on their online cloud (and even then, some games don't let you for arbitrary reasons).



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

GoOnKid said:

I'm with OP here, I never understood this either. Bad connection is not a Nintendo only thing, that happens on the other consoles as well, but this gets comfortably swept under the rug. That's a double standard that gets blindly repeated without any critical thinking.

Voice chat is insanely overrated and terribly unneccessary, I couldn't care less. However, like OP already mentioned, there are indeed many games that feature this, but let's ignore that for the sake of complaning.

Okay, some people love trophies, some people on the other hand look behind them and see no value at all. I am from the second group. To me, trophies are useless filler to stretch boring games that should rather stretch themselves naturally by good game design instead of obnoxious and out of bund tasks that no regular player would do otherwise. However, many games from Nintendo have some sort of in-game trophy system as well 'but, yeah, that's just not the same thing at all!'

Chats and communities were a thing with Miiverse, which was great and I loved it so much, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. However, Nintendo didn't end it just because, they ended it because trolls kept posting inappropriate shit and thought they were funny. Congrats, trolls! Let's thank these idiots for all the laughs, they sure make up for the removal of Miiverse. Bratty behavior like this is why we can't have nice things.

Do family plans, people. Even if you're only two members, you already save money. It's also really super simple.

@ZyroXZ2: '...and the mobile app also pales in comparison to the Xbox mobile app which DIRECTLY allows me to save screenshots and video captures to my phone if I want to just send it to friends privately. Yea, that means Xbox's servers also host your screenshots and video captures...'

You CAN transfer screenshots to your phone with the Switch, this was implemented in an update. So that means Nintendo's servers also host your screenshots and video captures.

I know I can transfer it to my phone, I've done it tons of times during MHRise to send videos to other people on weapon combo damage, and it is NOT hosted by Nintendo's servers: it's sent to your phone directly via the Switch through WiFi.

And clearly I was referring to the mobile app.  Did you know I DON'T need to pair my phone up briefly to download it from a browser with the Xbox app?  That when I hit the capture button on the controller, the Xbox auto-uploads it to their servers, and all I do is grab my phone, pull up the app, and everything is right there ready to download to my phone?  You might think you can take all the bullets to save Nintendo from this one, but you're seriously outnumbered.  And I'm not talking public opinion: Nintendo's "online" aspects are massively outpaced by literally every platform in gaming with the only exception being Miiverse, the one good online thing they did (despite its community being, erhm, a bit eccentric...) that they canned.  They literally do NOT understand online gaming at its core (friend codes, ANYONE?!), and then they also took away the VC which I literally am included in the many people that liked it.  Nintendo literally took away two of their good things and gave us... whatever the fuck NSO is lol

To whoever it was that said most Switch games are on cloud saves:

No, the cloud saves do not include most games, just the popular exclusives and bigger games.  I can literally point to games right now on my Switch that don't have it because the cloud saves are based on the game, not on the user profile.  Another backwards-minded "online" concept of theirs...



Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
GoOnKid said:

I'm with OP here, I never understood this either. Bad connection is not a Nintendo only thing, that happens on the other consoles as well, but this gets comfortably swept under the rug. That's a double standard that gets blindly repeated without any critical thinking.

Voice chat is insanely overrated and terribly unneccessary, I couldn't care less. However, like OP already mentioned, there are indeed many games that feature this, but let's ignore that for the sake of complaning.

Okay, some people love trophies, some people on the other hand look behind them and see no value at all. I am from the second group. To me, trophies are useless filler to stretch boring games that should rather stretch themselves naturally by good game design instead of obnoxious and out of bund tasks that no regular player would do otherwise. However, many games from Nintendo have some sort of in-game trophy system as well 'but, yeah, that's just not the same thing at all!'

Chats and communities were a thing with Miiverse, which was great and I loved it so much, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. However, Nintendo didn't end it just because, they ended it because trolls kept posting inappropriate shit and thought they were funny. Congrats, trolls! Let's thank these idiots for all the laughs, they sure make up for the removal of Miiverse. Bratty behavior like this is why we can't have nice things.

Do family plans, people. Even if you're only two members, you already save money. It's also really super simple.

@ZyroXZ2: '...and the mobile app also pales in comparison to the Xbox mobile app which DIRECTLY allows me to save screenshots and video captures to my phone if I want to just send it to friends privately. Yea, that means Xbox's servers also host your screenshots and video captures...'

You CAN transfer screenshots to your phone with the Switch, this was implemented in an update. So that means Nintendo's servers also host your screenshots and video captures.

I know I can transfer it to my phone, I've done it tons of times during MHRise to send videos to other people on weapon combo damage, and it is NOT hosted by Nintendo's servers: it's sent to your phone directly via the Switch through WiFi.

And clearly I was referring to the mobile app.  Did you know I DON'T need to pair my phone up briefly to download it from a browser with the Xbox app?  That when I hit the capture button on the controller, the Xbox auto-uploads it to their servers, and all I do is grab my phone, pull up the app, and everything is right there ready to download to my phone?  You might think you can take all the bullets to save Nintendo from this one, but you're seriously outnumbered.  And I'm not talking public opinion: Nintendo's "online" aspects are massively outpaced by literally every platform in gaming with the only exception being Miiverse, the one good online thing they did (despite its community being, erhm, a bit eccentric...) that they canned.  They literally do NOT understand online gaming at its core (friend codes, ANYONE?!), and then they also took away the VC which I literally am included in the many people that liked it.  Nintendo literally took away two of their good things and gave us... whatever the fuck NSO is lol

To whoever it was that said most Switch games are on cloud saves:

No, the cloud saves do not include most games, just the popular exclusives and bigger games.  I can literally point to games right now on my Switch that don't have it because the cloud saves are based on the game, not on the user profile.  Another backwards-minded "online" concept of theirs...

I'm not taking any bullets, I just can't figure out how something so insanely minor can be such a big deal. Moleholes and mountains. Alright I admit it, I was wrong, the images are not on Nintendos servers. So what? How does this matter? Genuine question, how many people even send screenshots around? Of course you will say a lot. Of course I will say a few.

The most important complaint I hear is bad connectivity, and I'd argue that this is probably the only relevant point at all in this entire discussion. But, shockingly enough, this problem exists with Playstation and Xbox as well, however only Nintendo gets dissed about it. Why is that? Because people are fooled into thinking that a high price must mean a high quality service. Dropouts, connectivity issues, wifi problems, lag, staggering and buffering, all this happens on all consoles. But shhhh, that's not what the crowd wants to hear.



I'm sure everything I'm about to say has been said already but,  here goes...

Also, I use Xbox online instead of Playstation so some of these may or may not apply to PSN. I also have Nintendo's online service. 

- If you see your friend playing online, you can't join request to join them. You can't message them. You basically know they're online and that's it. 

- You can't follow their "feed". Screenshots, accomplishments,  etc. You don't get thar.  Just a list of games that they play and how long they have played it. 

- On Xbox,  every game is automatically backed up.  No matter what you play on (console, PC, another console,  streaming) as soon as you log in, your save is there.  On Nintendo, it's a whole process of restoration that doesn't always work. My Bayonetta save is backed up but won't transfer to my Switch Lite. Animal Crossing wasn't supported and needed an entire transfer app.

- On Xbox, digital games are available on the primary Xbox whether online or offline. They're also available on a second Xbox as long as you're logged in. You can literally buy a game and play it on two different systems at the same time.

-Same thing applies to the Online service. You can use it on the primary system no matter what and on a secondary system as long as you're logged in. 

- You can message, follow, send friend requests to people who are not your friend. 

- You can "gift" games to other gamers as long as you know their name

- You can group chat, group message, send pics, and follow specific game communities 

- You can "co-pilot" someone else's game.  If you're watching them play (streaming) they can turn the controls over to you and you can play their game. 

-Leader boards for most games compare your scores, achievements, bullets fired, miles driven, etc to your friends 

- "free" Xbox 360 and Xbox One games every month. Some great. Some such.

- Monthly discounts for subscribers 

- Any game captures or screenshots are readily available at any time on your mobile device 

- even without subscription, you can stream/play on a PC as long as it's on the same network. Possibly a mobile device as well. 

-Full web browsers (a full and complete version of Microsoft Edge that allows you to save and download content to your system)

-Mod support for a handful of games

I know I'm missing a lot more features. And I know a lot of what I'm posting won't appeal to you but there you go.  Meanwhile, on Nintendo I've never successfully played with one of my close to 100 friends. On the Wii U (oddly enough), I have. I haven't played Mario Kart 8 online in a while but when I did, I always lost connection after a few games. I couldn't even log into Resident Evil's website without paying for the online service. $20 a year is basically nothing and I do have great nostalgia for the SNES Era...and great ptsd for the NES Era. I loathe the N64 and have no strong feelings for the Sega Genesis, either way.  Believe it or not,  Nintendo is my favorite gaming company but their service is not even on par with the original Xbox or PS2--systems that came out two decades ago!

Here's my Switch ID:SW-0666-6288-1304



Twitter: @d21lewis

Around the Network

Also, I THINK free to play online games are free on every system but part of me is saying Nintendo still requires you to have their service for free to play games. If so, they would be the only one who charges. Again, I have their service but I just don't play my Switch online. I haven't in months. I only resubscribed to transfer Animal Crossing and it wasn't supported at the time. I'm seriously debating canceling it when my subscription expires. 



Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:

Also, I THINK free to play online games are free on every system but part of me is saying Nintendo still requires you to have their service for free to play games. If so, they would be the only one who charges. Again, I have their service but I just don't play my Switch online. I haven't in months. I only resubscribed to transfer Animal Crossing and it wasn't supported at the time. I'm seriously debating canceling it when my subscription expires. 

That is false. You don't need NSO for f2p online games.

And why do so many people have issues with the cloud saves? I got a new Switch last year and had no issue transfering over 150 games to the new Switch. Only Splatoon 2 required me to transfer the save file manualy, but it only took like 10 minutes.



Kakadu18 said:
d21lewis said:

Also, I THINK free to play online games are free on every system but part of me is saying Nintendo still requires you to have their service for free to play games. If so, they would be the only one who charges. Again, I have their service but I just don't play my Switch online. I haven't in months. I only resubscribed to transfer Animal Crossing and it wasn't supported at the time. I'm seriously debating canceling it when my subscription expires. 

That is false. You don't need NSO for f2p online games.

And why do so many people have issues with the cloud saves? I got a new Switch last year and had no issue transfering over 150 games to the new Switch. Only Splatoon 2 required me to transfer the save file manualy, but it only took like 10 minutes.

Wasn't sure. I know Sony always had free to play games available with no extra cost and Microsoft just started the policy this year. I had Switch Online since the beginning and when it lapsed, I couldn't even go to RE.Net without the subscription. It's good that they're customer friendly in that regard. A lot of the most popular online games are free to play.

I have probably 60 games but I haven't really tried to transfer many of them. I rarely play the Switch Lite. It usually works pretty well but for some reason, Bayonetta 1 didn't cross. It says it's backed up on the primary switch but the second one doesn't recognize it.



Twitter: @d21lewis

They all suck. Making you pay for things that should have always been free and renting you crap that you barely play to make you feel like your money is not being wasted. That's it, somebody had to say it. PS Plus sucks, NSO sucks, Xbox Gold sucks. But hey, if you guys want to discuss that much which one is less bad, by all means, keep the conversation going.



Nintendo online service is horrible, you cant even compare it with others because its worse in everyway possible