By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is so bad about Nintendo's online service vs. the others (PSN, Xbox Live)

IcaroRibeiro said:
xPhenom08x said:

Oh really now? What makes it so bad?

Your thread revolves into listing features Nintendo don't have and then proceed saying they are either bad, irrelevant or you simply don't like them. Your final conclusion is "I don't know why people are complaining"

So maybe, just maybe, they are complaining because they actually wants the features you are saying that don't matter? I personally find the lack of chat annoying and the experience of needing a phone terrible to say the least. I can't just directly join a friend in a game coming from SO like I do with Steam, or with PS4.

Cloud save is an awful experience, I got a new Switch and lost my saves from Splatoon and Animal Crossing, games I've spent over 300 and over 600 hours in, my progress puff, gone. I've tried to play them again, but it's not the same anymore, probably will just stop them, at least Splatoon have a new one coming next year, as for Animal Crossing, guess I will need to see people enjoying the new features and DLC and never enjoying it myself 

And yes, I used the save data cloud for Animal Crossing. It simply didn't worked, no new island was found when I tried to restore it, life sucks, but Nintendo saves sucks harder

Stardew Valley save also got corrupted, fortunately I play it mostly on PC, not even 10 hours spent on Switch was a life savior decision 

And connection IS bad. I should have documented the amount of time I've seen a Splatoon teamate leaving the party during a game. I've tried Smash for 3 days and then given up because the online sucks hard, I'm comparing it with Street Fighter 5 and... there is no comparison, really. Not that I've liked Smash in first place, so I'm not losing anything 

The only game I have no complaints about multi-player is MK8, never really dissapointed me. It has some lags but it does not happen often so I believe when it happens is just my connection 

And family plan? Here I agree it's an excellent payment model... for those who have a family. I think the difference between this and, let's say, Netflix is the potential numbers of devices you can make use of it. Anyone with a PC, Tablet, console (that's not a Switch), TV or Smartphone can make use of Netflix screens. Even my grandfather can make use of my Netflix account. For gaming it's a little bit more complicated, to make use of it you need to first buy a 300 USD dedicated hardware.

I also find the process of finding someone to share the bills tiresome and unnecessary.  With Spotify I use the family subscription, but it's because I have cousins to share it (I pay it for them as they are all minors), but keep it mind it's a liability, not an advantage as in fact I'm paying more not less. Only one of those cousins have a Switch and he's 7, his mom does not allow online play yet, not reason for me to subscribe for a family that I simply don't have 

That was not my conclusion, I even mention people liking those free games. I'm free to have an opinion just like you. Just because you like those features and I don't care for them doesn't mean Nintendo has to add them. If I had to choose between paying 60 and no family plan or 5 dollars with a family plan then I'll take the 5 dollar plan. If Nintendo added those features then they would likely jack up the price and no the expansion is not jacking up the price since it's optional.

The lack of chat can be annoying but personally I can't say I'm willing to pay more for it. Whom am I talking to? Someone I know personally I can call lol, they then don't have to be tethered to their console. Teammates I can use the in game chat. 

Game invites exist on Switch and no I don't want the ability to just join a friends game lol. That is so invasive it's embarrassing, why can't you wait for my invite? Don't just join my game like playstation allows. Nintendo better never add that nonsense, improving the game invites function would be better. 

Not going to speak on your experience with the cloud saves for those games. Cloud saves works for like every other game, just cherry picking the handful for your arguement doesn't help. Also your experience could be due to user error so that's not on Nintendo. 

Connection issues exist for all of them. I see just as many disconnects in Overwatch on Playstation. People leaving matches isn't on Nintendo. Smash I have experienced the same but again cherry picking one game is nonsense, it's the game and it's servers not Nintendos entire network. Mario Kart works great.

Your family plan excuses are bullshit, I can literally take your email right now and add you. You could easily join a family plan and it truly is why I prefer Nintendo over them.  Sony doesn't have the balls because they saw what happened with free online multiplayer vs all that "value" you got with paid psn. No one cared because no one cares about that stuff you guys claim has so much value. That's why Sony had to highjack online multiplayer. Remove online multiplayer and watch psn drop users like no tomorrow. 

Around the Network
xPhenom08x said:

That was not my conclusion, I even mention people liking those free games. I'm free to have an opinion just like you. Just because you like those features and I don't care for them doesn't mean Nintendo has to add them. If I had to choose between paying 60 and no family plan or 5 dollars with a family plan then I'll take the 5 dollar plan. If Nintendo added those features then they would likely jack up the price and no the expansion is not jacking up the price since it's optional.

The lack of chat can be annoying but personally I can't say I'm willing to pay more for it. Whom am I talking to? Someone I know personally I can call lol, they then don't have to be tethered to their console. Teammates I can use the in game chat. 

Game invites exist on Switch and no I don't want the ability to just join a friends game lol. That is so invasive it's embarrassing, why can't you wait for my invite? Don't just join my game like playstation allows. Nintendo better never add that nonsense, improving the game invites function would be better. 

Not going to speak on your experience with the cloud saves for those games. Cloud saves works for like every other game, just cherry picking the handful for your arguement doesn't help. Also your experience could be due to user error so that's not on Nintendo. 

Connection issues exist for all of them. I see just as many disconnects in Overwatch on Playstation. People leaving matches isn't on Nintendo. Smash I have experienced the same but again cherry picking one game is nonsense, it's the game and it's servers not Nintendos entire network. Mario Kart works great.

Your family plan excuses are bullshit, I can literally take your email right now and add you. You could easily join a family plan and it truly is why I prefer Nintendo over them.  Sony doesn't have the balls because they saw what happened with free online multiplayer vs all that "value" you got with paid psn. No one cared because no one cares about that stuff you guys claim has so much value. That's why Sony had to highjack online multiplayer. Remove online multiplayer and watch psn drop users like no tomorrow. 

I think there is a lot os misconceptions going on here: There is no reason to increase the price over features because their costs are mainly from development, not maintenance. It's basically the costs of minor software development and is like a grain of sand in a beach compared to true development costs, if they use some standard features as a reason to increase the prices I will but laugh at the excuse to fool anyone who doesn't understand a thing about software development. Seems exactly the kind of thing Nintendo would do though I digress

Seems like you are mixing the prices with PSN and NSO because you somewhat thinking the costs to hold multiplayer servers and develop multiplayer features is the reason why they are asking additional money. You are fatally wrong, PSN prices are set mainly to recover the money they spend for performance rights for the games they add monthly, you are seeing Nintendo suffering from this with their new plan that also include Sega Games, although the value proposition of new subscription upgrade is indeed laughable compared to PSN. Granted both Sony and Nintendo are just exploring their fans because in the end of day there is no reason to charge for online, Sony at least give us a quality connection and some free games I would otherwise not play

Great they worked for "every other game", but when I needed them, It didn't worked for me period (and in the games I found the most important, because they were infinite games, not single player campaigns you cannot retain or progress), it's totally unacceptable there is no easier and seamless cloud save for games that are BUILD on time progression and do not reset, why can't I just download an Animal Crossing save from cloud like I do with most of games? 

I can only cherry pick games I've played because that's on what my experience is based. I play Crash Team Racing, Street Fight V, Dark Souls 3, Monster Hunter World and Civ VI. All them works well and smooth, the only Nintendo games that works as well is, as I said, Mario Kart 8, Among Us and Fortnite (ok, this one I've played for only 6 hours, but was nice still). The games that annoyed me with bad online on PS4 were FF XIV and Dauntless, that games that annoyed me in Switch where Smash, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and Ninjala. So far my multiplayer experience with PS4 has been comfortably better, and that's it. I tried CTR on Switch to compare how it plays compared to PS4, but unfortunately I've not found any match. Maybe I should try Dauntless, it's also free on Switch

As for family plan, dude, do you want me to find random people online and give my email so we can share bills? Seems like you have a weird standard of what you find intrusive

- Joining your gamming session? Totally intrusive 

- Sharing a subscription account with people you only know online? Oh that's neat, count me in

Nintendo Switch Online wouldn't be so poorly received if it came out around the same time PSN was free & XBLG was the dominant online service. What Nintendo is offering right now has more value proposition than XBLG on the 360 but that was nearly two decades ago. Currently, their online membership doesn't compare to the value proposition that PS+/XBLG currently offer, and Microsoft has essentially shifted all their focus onto GamePass.

Maybe if the ACH DLC was a monthly thing, and next month you get some Pokemon DLC, than a small indie game the month after, and so on, than it would be much better received.

This thread basically boils down to:

TS: why do you think Nintendo's online service is bad?
Users: list reasons
TS: but I don't care for those things and my opinion is just as valid as yours so there's no need for Nintendo to improve anything!

Like, why are you asking us this question then, my dude?

Chrizum said:

TS: but I don't care for those things and my opinion is just as valid as yours so there's no need for Nintendo to improve anything!

I asked because I was hoping for better and even acknowledged things I didn't remember like messages. Stop the ninty witch hunt and accept someone cam disagree for the reasons I mentioned. Not everything you list is valid just because you think so.

Around the Network
xPhenom08x said:
Chrizum said:

I asked because I was hoping for better and even acknowledged things I didn't remember like messages. Stop the ninty witch hunt and accept someone cam disagree for the reasons I mentioned. Not everything you list is valid just because you think so.

Thank you for proving my point.

IcaroRibeiro said:
xPhenom08x said:

I think there is a lot os misconceptions going on here: There is no reason to increase the price over features because their costs are mainly from development, not maintenance. It's basically the costs of minor software development and is like a grain of sand in a beach compared to true development costs, if they use some standard features as a reason to increase the prices I will but laugh at the excuse to fool anyone who doesn't understand a thing about software development. Seems exactly the kind of thing Nintendo would do though I digress

Seems like you are mixing the prices with PSN and NSO because you somewhat thinking the costs to hold multiplayer servers and develop multiplayer features is the reason why they are asking additional money. You are fatally wrong, PSN prices are set mainly to recover the money they spend for performance rights for the games they add monthly, you are seeing Nintendo suffering from this with their new plan that also include Sega Games, although the value proposition of new subscription upgrade is indeed laughable compared to PSN. Granted both Sony and Nintendo are just exploring their fans because in the end of day there is no reason to charge for online, Sony at least give us a quality connection and some free games I would otherwise not play

Great they worked for "every other game", but when I needed them, It didn't worked for me period (and in the games I found the most important, because they were infinite games, not single player campaigns you cannot retain or progress), it's totally unacceptable there is no easier and seamless cloud save for games that are BUILD on time progression and do not reset, why can't I just download an Animal Crossing save from cloud like I do with most of games? 

I can only cherry pick games I've played because that's on what my experience is based. I play Crash Team Racing, Street Fight V, Dark Souls 3, Monster Hunter World and Civ VI. All them works well and smooth, the only Nintendo games that works as well is, as I said, Mario Kart 8, Among Us and Fortnite (ok, this one I've played for only 6 hours, but was nice still). The games that annoyed me with bad online on PS4 were FF XIV and Dauntless, that games that annoyed me in Switch where Smash, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing and Ninjala. So far my multiplayer experience with PS4 has been comfortably better, and that's it. I tried CTR on Switch to compare how it plays compared to PS4, but unfortunately I've not found any match. Maybe I should try Dauntless, it's also free on Switch

As for family plan, dude, do you want me to find random people online and give my email so we can share bills? Seems like you have a weird standard of what you find intrusive

- Joining your gamming session? Totally intrusive 

- Sharing a subscription account with people you only know online? Oh that's neat, count me in

What makes your first paragraph truly hilarious is that is exactly what Sony did. Took the primary reason for people to connect online(online multiplayer) and put it behind a paywall and add a bunch of bull to justify highjacking the primary want. Yet of course let shit on Nintendo for atleast giving me the cheapest way possible to pay for something I shouldn't. Psn is not some savior for charging me 60 for nothing I want. Psn existed on Ps3 with free online and no one cared. People don't want a pay wall no matter the nonsense Sony adds to justify it. Nintendo atleast gives me an option to Payless than 5 dollars a year. 

Sony also doesn't give me a better connection because these companies most of the time host their own servers. No matter the console I am connecting to the SAME server. 

Your experience may very well be due to user error because those games do allow transfers. Maybe read carefully next time? 

People can freely join your games but exchanging emails is intrusive? And bills lmao? If 5 dollars a year is a bill then I don't know what to tell you? 

I'll finish with this, I completely understand what you are saying eventhough I think some of it is bull. I personally think ninty could do better but my point is so can the others. I see no reason for Sony to not have a family plan or even a plan that separates the multiplayer & games. I get sick on the shit that gets flung at Nintendo but Sony doesn't get that same treatment for nonsense.

Chrizum said:
xPhenom08x said:

Thank you for proving my point.

Ok bud

All online services are bad as long as they paywall online gaming.
But in regards to Nintendo in particular:
-Price in relation to what it offers: even cheaper than others, the quality of the online and the features you get are paultry at best.
-The amount of services previously free now blocked to make the service more enticing:the VC in particular is egregious, since there's no way to purchase them individually, you have to keep paying them forever. Being unable to physically save your saved games is also bad, since now you're forced to rely on their online cloud (and even then, some games don't let you for arbitrary reasons).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

GoOnKid said:

I'm with OP here, I never understood this either. Bad connection is not a Nintendo only thing, that happens on the other consoles as well, but this gets comfortably swept under the rug. That's a double standard that gets blindly repeated without any critical thinking.

Voice chat is insanely overrated and terribly unneccessary, I couldn't care less. However, like OP already mentioned, there are indeed many games that feature this, but let's ignore that for the sake of complaning.

Okay, some people love trophies, some people on the other hand look behind them and see no value at all. I am from the second group. To me, trophies are useless filler to stretch boring games that should rather stretch themselves naturally by good game design instead of obnoxious and out of bund tasks that no regular player would do otherwise. However, many games from Nintendo have some sort of in-game trophy system as well 'but, yeah, that's just not the same thing at all!'

Chats and communities were a thing with Miiverse, which was great and I loved it so much, but sadly it doesn't exist anymore. However, Nintendo didn't end it just because, they ended it because trolls kept posting inappropriate shit and thought they were funny. Congrats, trolls! Let's thank these idiots for all the laughs, they sure make up for the removal of Miiverse. Bratty behavior like this is why we can't have nice things.

Do family plans, people. Even if you're only two members, you already save money. It's also really super simple.

@ZyroXZ2: '...and the mobile app also pales in comparison to the Xbox mobile app which DIRECTLY allows me to save screenshots and video captures to my phone if I want to just send it to friends privately. Yea, that means Xbox's servers also host your screenshots and video captures...'

You CAN transfer screenshots to your phone with the Switch, this was implemented in an update. So that means Nintendo's servers also host your screenshots and video captures.

I know I can transfer it to my phone, I've done it tons of times during MHRise to send videos to other people on weapon combo damage, and it is NOT hosted by Nintendo's servers: it's sent to your phone directly via the Switch through WiFi.

And clearly I was referring to the mobile app.  Did you know I DON'T need to pair my phone up briefly to download it from a browser with the Xbox app?  That when I hit the capture button on the controller, the Xbox auto-uploads it to their servers, and all I do is grab my phone, pull up the app, and everything is right there ready to download to my phone?  You might think you can take all the bullets to save Nintendo from this one, but you're seriously outnumbered.  And I'm not talking public opinion: Nintendo's "online" aspects are massively outpaced by literally every platform in gaming with the only exception being Miiverse, the one good online thing they did (despite its community being, erhm, a bit eccentric...) that they canned.  They literally do NOT understand online gaming at its core (friend codes, ANYONE?!), and then they also took away the VC which I literally am included in the many people that liked it.  Nintendo literally took away two of their good things and gave us... whatever the fuck NSO is lol

To whoever it was that said most Switch games are on cloud saves:

No, the cloud saves do not include most games, just the popular exclusives and bigger games.  I can literally point to games right now on my Switch that don't have it because the cloud saves are based on the game, not on the user profile.  Another backwards-minded "online" concept of theirs...

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/