By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts September 2021 Discussion Thread

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

PS4 and Xbox One need to sell a little over 6 million to pass the PS3 and Xbox 360. PS4 in Europe needs to sell a bit over 3 million to pass the DS.

PS4 will almost certainly fall short of DS in Europe then. As for PS4/Xbone vs PS360, it definitely looks unlikely the former will prevail, but not impossible.

Norion said:
trunkswd said:

With PS4 sales dropping a lot faster than anyone expected, thoughts on dropping the "PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360" and "PS4 vs DS in Europe" comparison articles?

The latter would make sense to be dropped since the gap isn't gonna move much anymore though for the former I'd suggest keeping it for at least a few more months since 360 and PS3 will get close to overtaking soon.

Okay I will drop the PS4 vs DS in Europe one, but keep doing the PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 one. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

PS5 vs Switch Sales Comparison - September 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Switch.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

PS5 Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 384,648 – PS5

Total Lead: 1,314,122 - NS

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 12,763,653

Switch Total Sales: 14,077,775

September 2021 is the 11th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Switch by 384,648 units. The Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 by 1.31 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 12.76 million units in 11 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 14.08 million units. Month 11 for the PlayStation 5 is September 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is January 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 20 million units sold in month 19, 30 million in month 23, and 40 million in month 33. The Nintendo Switch has sold 91.59 million units through September 2021.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Looks like we may be seeing a similar double helix pattern to the Switch and PS4 for their first few years.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:

Looks like we may be seeing a similar double helix pattern to the Switch and PS4 for their first few years.

It does look like it. With shortages I don't see PS5 shipments having any chance to get ahead of the PS4 until late 2022 or sometime in 2023. PS5 shipment numbers are 400K behind PS4. But sell-through is similar as PS5 is selling out and PS4 was readily available.

curl-6 said:

The double helix will continue next year, because the Switch didn't really do that great in its second year.  Sometime in 2023 though, the double helix will permanently end.  That will correspond to when Switch sales really started to grow.  Meanwhile PS5 will peak in 2022.  It's all downhill from there.

Around the Network

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Sales Comparison - September 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Switch.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup.

XSX|S Vs. Switch Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 244,302 - NS

Total Lead: 6,355,139 - NS

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 7,722,636

Switch Total Sales: 14,077,775

September 2021 is the 11th month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Nintendo Switch when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox Series X|S by 244,302 units. The Nintendo Switch is currently ahead by 6.36 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 7.72 million units in 11 months, while the Nintendo Switch sold 14.08 million units. Month 11 for the Xbox Series X|S is September 2021 and for the Nintendo Switch it is January 2018.

The Nintendo Switch crossed 20 million units sold in month 19, 30 million in month 23, and 40 million in month 33. The Nintendo Switch has sold 91.59 million units through September 2021.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

The double helix will continue next year, because the Switch didn't really do that great in its second year.  Sometime in 2023 though, the double helix will permanently end.  That will correspond to when Switch sales really started to grow.  Meanwhile PS5 will peak in 2022.  It's all downhill from there.

I still think you're massively underestimating the PS5.

It's the fastest selling system ever even with severe supply constraints, and said constraints are apparently set to remain until 2023, so I can't see the system peaking while its held back by them, especially when a second year peak is not characteristic of a Playstation home console.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It's the fastest selling system ever even with severe supply constraints, and said constraints are apparently set to remain until 2023, so I can't see itthe system peaking while its held back by them, especially when a second year peak is not characteristic of a Playstation home console.

Don't believe the hype.  It is not the fastest selling system ever.  People keep repeating lies, and much of the internet keeps eating it up.  A post in this very thread proves it is not the fastest selling system ever.  Look how the Switch has sold more.  The Switch line is above the PS5 line.
https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9330901

More importantly, the PS5 is an incredibly frontloaded system.  Hardcore gamers eagerly buy it up, but when it comes time for the mass market to buy, they'll go more for Switch and X|S.  I really do expect it to peak in 2022.  In Japan, I expect this year is the peak.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

It's the fastest selling system ever even with severe supply constraints, and said constraints are apparently set to remain until 2023, so I can't see itthe system peaking while its held back by them, especially when a second year peak is not characteristic of a Playstation home console.

Don't believe the hype.  It is not the fastest selling system ever.  People keep repeating lies, and much of the internet keeps eating it up.  A post in this very thread proves it is not the fastest selling system ever.  Look how the Switch has sold more.  The Switch line is above the PS5 line.

More importantly, the PS5 is an incredibly frontloaded system.  Hardcore gamers eagerly buy it up, but when it comes time for the mass market to buy, they'll go more for Switch and X|S.  I really do expect it to peak in 2022.  In Japan, I expect this year is the peak.

It started off as the fastest selling system, but has fallen behind due to the supply shortages. PS5 shipment numbers are 400,000 behind PS4 as of September 30.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Why on earth would it be so front-loaded when its first few years are severely supply constrained, and in terms of appeal it's very much in line with the PS4 which wasn't front-loaded?