By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts September 2021 Discussion Thread

dx11332sega said:

My scenario is they would still keep the Vanilla Switch at same price as always, it will sell another 4 to 6 years I predict the Oled would be omitted before vanilla Switch.

If anything I could see the OLED dropping to $300 in a years time and replacing the regular Switch model. If the regular Switch model remains in production I see its price dropping to $250 and Switch Lite to $170 or $180.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
dx11332sega said:

My scenario is they would still keep the Vanilla Switch at same price as always, it will sell another 4 to 6 years I predict the Oled would be omitted before vanilla Switch.

If anything I could see the OLED dropping to $300 in a years time and replacing the regular Switch model. If the regular Switch model remains in production I see its price dropping to $250 and Switch Lite to $170 or $180.

I would like that , But I have no faith in Nintendo to do that , they did on WII U launch because it was hemorrhaging Nintendo , vanilla Switch will not hemorrhage .

Cute and honest Sega Saturn fan, also noone should buy Sega grrrr, Sega for life.

dx11332sega said:
trunkswd said:

I would like that , But I have no faith in Nintendo to do that , they did on WII U launch because it was hemorrhaging Nintendo , vanilla Switch will not hemorrhage .

I don't see them dropping the regular Switch without dropping the price of the OLED. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Link to the article here.

PS5 vs Wii Sales Comparison - September 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and Wii.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the Nintendo Wii launched in November 2006. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. Wii Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 171,873 – PS5

Total Lead: 337,021 – PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales: 12,763,653

Wii Total Sales: 12,426,632

September 2021 is the 11th month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the Nintendo Wii by 171,873 units. The PlayStation 5 is now ahead of the Nintendo Wii by 337,021 units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 12.76 million units in 11 months, while the Nintendo Wii sold 12.43 million units. Month 11 for the PlayStation 5 is September 2021 and for the Nintendo Wii it is September 2007.

The Nintendo Wii crossed 20 million in month 15, 30 million in month 21, and 40 million in month 26. The Nintendo Wii sold 101.63 million units lifetime.

With PS4 sales dropping a lot faster than anyone expected, thoughts on dropping the "PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360" and "PS4 vs DS in Europe" comparison articles?

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

With PS4 sales dropping a lot faster than anyone expected, thoughts on dropping the "PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360" and "PS4 vs DS in Europe" comparison articles?

Sales comparisons only make sense as long as at least one of the involved consoles still sells an appreciable amount of units each month. That not being the case anymore in the above examples, it wouldn't be a loss to see these charts being gone for good.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

trunkswd said:

I forget, to what extent are these comparisons foregone conclusions at this point? I remember the former being a close call.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I forget, to what extent are these comparisons foregone conclusions at this point? I remember the former being a close call.

PS4 and Xbox One need to sell a little over 6 million to pass the PS3 and Xbox 360. PS4 in Europe needs to sell a bit over 3 million to pass the DS.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 and Xbox One need to sell a little over 6 million to pass the PS3 and Xbox 360. PS4 in Europe needs to sell a bit over 3 million to pass the DS.

PS4 will almost certainly fall short of DS in Europe then. As for PS4/Xbone vs PS360, it definitely looks unlikely the former will prevail, but not impossible.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

trunkswd said:

The latter would make sense to be dropped since the gap isn't gonna move much anymore though for the former I'd suggest keeping it for at least a few more months since 360 and PS3 will get close to overtaking soon.