By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cloud Games + Fiber vs. Physical/Downloaded Games

What is better?

Native no matter what 30 81.08%

Fiber + Cloud 2 5.41%

I don't have Fiber so my ... 5 13.51%

Total:37

Not to get in the middle of ya'lls debate, but GameTap, OnLive, Sega Channel, and Nintendo Satelliview are 4 examples of streaming services where people can no longer play their owned content. If you want a another more infamous Sony example, then their PS Home platform/game could loosely count as well.

Yeah, there are bigger problems in the world, but lost media is a growing concern if you care at all about gaming history/culture. And it's not only software, as some hardware will be lost forever as well due to HDD encryption that hasn't been cracked yet (the PSX being an example of that. The consoles are ticking time bombs). 

Now, I will admit that preserving games is not as drastic of a concern nowadays as copies and multiple versions of those copies are backed up online, but there is still a lot of stuff out there that is in threat of being lost forever and I'm sure that stuff is always bound to slip through the cracks.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Captain_Yuri said:

That's a weird response... Cause when the power comes back... You can continue playing if it happens locally...

Compare that to when the cloud provider shutsdown their servers for good... You won't be able to play your game ever again.

Can you give a real example of when a cloud service shut down and the customers could no longer play what they owned?

Dont pay your phone bill, your phone no longer works

Dont pay your electricity, your electronics dont work

Dont pay your Netflix, you cannot watch your shows

Dont pay your Gaming Sub, cant play Multiplayer

Dont pay your Gas provider.. 

You get the idea.

Bigger problems to worry about than worrying about Billion dollar companies closing thier Cloud services. 

Yea it's called Onlive

Idk where the rest is coming from but why would I need to worry about those things when I can afford those things already thanks to my good paying job... I have no idea what you are trying to get across lol. If you don't want to have a proper discussion, maybe you should stop replying?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If I buy a game, I want to own a game. So physical copies all the way. Digital is ok, but you always need to make a backup copy of your game if you don't want to lose everything if the servers go down (not to mention having to deal with all the DRM there's around nowadays). No matter how pretty they present cloud gaming, it's an even less appealing proposition than the old renting system. At least with those I don't depend on my internet connection to do anything.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I would probably have been strongly in the camp that running the games on your local device is better. But, I playes Destiny 2 via XCloud streaming a couple of weeks ago, and I found it to be just as good and experience as running on my Series X. Now, it should be noted that I did not play any PvP content. Obviously, even tiny bits of lag in PvP could cause big problems. But, in terms of the PvE content that I played, I found the experience to be great. This is just one example. But, it's the only game that I have extensive experience in running on my local device that I have also tried via the cloud. So it's my only basis for comparison. Based on that experience, I am very optimistic about cloud gaming.

There certainly are some aspects of cloud gaming that are not currently equal to running games locally. But, I think the potential is there even now, and will be even more so over the next several years.

Strategyking92 said:

Not to get in the middle of ya'lls debate, but GameTap, OnLive, Sega Channel, and Nintendo Satelliview are 4 examples of streaming services where people can no longer play their owned content. If you want a another more infamous Sony example, then their PS Home platform/game could loosely count as well.

Yeah, there are bigger problems in the world, but lost media is a growing concern if you care at all about gaming history/culture. And it's not only software, as some hardware will be lost forever as well due to HDD encryption that hasn't been cracked yet (the PSX being an example of that. The consoles are ticking time bombs). 

Now, I will admit that preserving games is not as drastic of a concern nowadays as copies and multiple versions of those copies are backed up online, but there is still a lot of stuff out there that is in threat of being lost forever and I'm sure that stuff is always bound to slip through the cracks.

I don't mind you being involved. Its why we have these forums. To debate.

Those examples you gave me were either very new ideas at the time or experimental. The industry has evolved again and will continue to evolve until it gets it right.

Did you know that Digital media was getting the same amount of hate when it was first brought to the scene decades ago and many digital services have closed down due to the struggle of acceptance? Now digital is one of the best forms of playing media. Streaming is going through that same struggle, however its inevitable. Its going to happen weather its now or 10 years later.

When i was growing up with video games, i had to walk to the video store, pay a few dollars to rent a game, walk home and return the game after a couple of days. Streaming today is no different to renting games as a kid, except its a lot easier and tons more value is involved.

People complain about servers going down, sure it could happen (Doubt it since they are mostly run by Billion if not trillion dollar companies) yet no one complains when a generation is entirely extinct, like N64 physical games are no longer available to be purchase at stores, so if you missed it, you missed it. Some services allow you to own the digital game that can be streamed if you wanted to. Today's gamer's are way to entitled. What they have today are miles ahead of what a kid in the 90s had. I wish services like GP was around when i was growing up.

Captain_Yuri said:
Azzanation said:

Can you give a real example of when a cloud service shut down and the customers could no longer play what they owned?

Dont pay your phone bill, your phone no longer works

Dont pay your electricity, your electronics dont work

Dont pay your Netflix, you cannot watch your shows

Dont pay your Gaming Sub, cant play Multiplayer

Dont pay your Gas provider.. 

You get the idea.

Bigger problems to worry about than worrying about Billion dollar companies closing thier Cloud services. 

Yea it's called Onlive

Idk where the rest is coming from but why would I need to worry about those things when I can afford those things already thanks to my good paying job... I have no idea what you are trying to get across lol. If you don't want to have a proper discussion, maybe you should stop replying?

Okay let me make it simpler for you. 

Are you not worried that one day your phone provider will shut down its services, and you can no longer use your mobile device for calls and messages?

Simple solution: You jump on another service. See the point i am trying to make?

What are the odds of it all happening, pretty damn rare. So instead of me stop replying, how about stop trying to make something seem worse than it actually is.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea it's called Onlive

Are you not worried that one day your phone provider will shut down its services, and you can no longer use your mobile device for calls and messages?

Simple solution: You jump on another service. See the point i am trying to make?

What are the odds of it all happening, pretty damn rare. So instead of me stop replying, how about stop trying to make something seem worse than it actually is.

Why would I be worried about that? My phone provider holds no data from my phone. If my phone provider one day goes down, I can go to a different phone provider without any issue because the data is on my phone. My call history? On my phone. My text messages? On my phone. All my apps and such? On my phone.

The difference is with cloud games, all the data is on the cloud servers and none of it is on your device.

Again, you continue to make no sense... How about you start coming up with half decent arguments that actually make sense instead of replying with nonsense arguments?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I wouldn't bother.. he starts his debate with a strawman argument and then goes further into more strawman. It makes no sense comparing data from cloud servers/streaming to power. Not even sure how or why this was bought up xD

Captain_Yuri said:
Azzanation said:

Why would I be worried about that? My phone provider holds no data from my phone. If my phone provider one day goes down, I can go to a different phone provider without any issue because the data is on my phone. My call history? On my phone. My text messages? On my phone. All my apps and such? On my phone.

The difference is with cloud games, all the data is on the cloud servers and none of it is on your device.

Again, you continue to make no sense... How about you start coming up with half decent arguments that actually make sense instead of replying with nonsense arguments?

Gamers today are so entitled. I guess you hate Cloud saves to right?

If you don't like Streaming, than don't Stream the games, its an option. Buy the games digitally or Physically. Streaming is not going away, get use to it and stop pretending everything shuts down. Its misleading. 

Its as dumb as saying to someone that you hate renting games. Don't rent them.

Azzanation said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Gamers today are so entitled. I guess you hate Cloud saves to right?

If you don't like Streaming, than don't Stream the games, its an option. Buy the games digitally or Physically. Streaming is not going away, get use to it and stop pretending everything shuts down. Its misleading. 

Its as dumb as saying to someone that you hate renting games. Don't rent them.

How am I pretending when we have seen cloud streaming services going down in the past? I don't dislike cloud gaming as an option and you would know that if you read the entire original post.

Why do you keep moving goal posts? What does cloud saves have to do with anything? What does renting have to do with anything?

Cloud gaming is the future, it just is.

I was impressed with SONy’s buyout of gaikai, a future centered move that quickly was shelved for no reason. MS is pushing in the right direction.