By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy - The Definitive Edition Announced for PC, PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, NSW for 2021

Where Do Plan To Get Grand Theft Auto The Trilogy?

Switch 20 54.05%

PS4 0 0%

PS5 4 10.81%

Xbox One 1 2.70%

Xbox Series X 0 0%

PC 3 8.11%

Not Interested 7 18.92%

See Results 2 5.41%

Total:37
Bristow9091 said:

So they're doing enhancements but want them to retain the look and feel of the originals... why do I get the feeling they're just gonna' be upscaled and in widescreen? o.O

Yeah... it does sound like a quick cashgrab. If it would be anything more, we would have heard about it for at least a year now, just to generate hype.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Not sure if its considered a bold prediction but I think Switch will be the best selling SKU provided it holds up well performance wise.

I don't really need to play a remaster of PS2 game in 4k, but casually having it on the go will be a blast

Need to expand the options to include  PS6, Switch 2, and Xbox Series Y|Z.

Bristow9091 said:

So they're doing enhancements but want them to retain the look and feel of the originals... why do I get the feeling they're just gonna' be upscaled and in widescreen? o.O

Why do you think they're removing the original versions off all digital storefronts next week? lol

Of course this is a cash grab.

Angelus said:
Bristow9091 said:

Why do you think they're removing the original versions off all digital storefronts next week? lol

Damn... that's one shitty move on their part.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Angelus said:

Damn... that's one shitty move on their part.

It's also a very typical move, and one that makes me very reluctant to buy remastered version at any price. Most notably for me, Beamdog did the same with the original Baldur's Gate games (and other related D&D games). I haven't bought a thing from Beamdog and probably will not ever do so because releasing lazy remastered versions of old games just to multiply the prices is simply despicable. (That said, this is easier because I already owned the originals.)

I am not interested, but only because I own the originals on PS2 and prefer to play games as they were originally experienced. I suppose if I hadn't played them when they launched and were thus sentimentally attached in silly, superficial ways, I would jump all over this in a heartbeat. But I did, and so when I play them, I'm not just playing the games... I'm looking to relive those old times as well. And when you're looking to relive old times, you want things to be as close to those old times as humanly possible.

Heck no, don't want things to be as close to old times as humanly possible! I was in a pretty shitty place in my life when GTA 3 came out. During vice city I was too depressed to enjoy the game and gave up on it. I wouldn't mind replaying them in a different setting. But I fear it won't look all that good on 65" 4K tv.

I'll decide based on whether the soundtrack is left intact. If stuff got scrapped due to licenses being expired, then no thanks.

UPDATE: Insider reports now say the original late 2021 release date is for last-gen versions (PS4, XBO, and Switch) only. PS5 and XBX/S versions won't release until 2022.

Well, my anticipation just dipped a little with this news. I still plan on getting it when it does eventually hit PS5, whenever that may be. I love me my nostalgia and relive it whenever I can, especially when I have no way of playing the original PS2 releases of GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas, anymore.

But hopefully this means we're getting the "true" definitive versions that actually take advantage of next-gen hardware. That's what sets concurrent first-party exclusives (Sony exclusives also releasing on PS4: GT7, HZD2, etc.) from true next-gen first party exclusives: the PS5 versions are only upscaled versions. Games like Returnal, Demon's Souls remake, Marvel's Wolverine, etc. actually take advantage of the PS5's hardware and pushed to their full potential.

My toaster is disappointed and feels left out, it was really looking forward to joining in with all it's various console and PC mates around the house playing the GTA Trilogy, so it's back to Skyrim on toast.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot