3 3 7.14%

4 to 6 11 26.19%

7 to 10 7 16.67%

11 to 14 9 21.43%

15 to 20 2 4.76%

21 to 29 1 2.38%

30+ 7 16.67%

Total:42

Hmm...1 tv, 2 laptops, a smart display, and a phone are my primary displays currently, though you could add another laptop, phone, tablet, and a couple handhelds in storage if you want to get technical. Maybe another tv and monitor soon, too.

Around the Network

3 phones
3 monitors
1 laptop
1 tablet
1 Switch
5 televisions

My computeur screen for home office
My smartphone
My macbook
My Switch
My gf's computer
My gf's phone

So 6

SvennoJ said:
JackHandy said:

This is a great question, and one that certainly highlights our collective obsession with technology. Like the OP, I too can count on one hand the amount of screens I had in my house as a child. Now? I literally would have to go around and count them... there's that many. Too many, actually.

I had to recount a couple times, forgetting about screens. I still forgot about the GBA, technically also a screen, but I haven't played on gameboy advance in years. My kids used mine and my wife's old ones when they were little. The battery life on those things is amazing by today's standards :)

Tech piles up. We have multiple old desktops I don't know what to do with. There's sensitive information on the HDDs, same as on all the old laptops. Two old desktops are still hooked up, running xp and windows NT. The XP one only turns on after a power failure (have to remember to turn it off again lol) and has a dead cmos battery. The NT one I still use for backups (backup drives attached to that one) and it's the only PC in the house that still has a disc drive! (both dvd and floppy disk)

Ahh, crap, another 2 screens in my 2 PSVR units!

Then there's the box of shame in the garage, 20 years worth of dead batteries. Even using rechargeable batteries as much as possible, it still piles up. Actually there are plenty dead rechargeable batteries in that box as well. Growing up, we had maybe a couple toys with batteries, now most things have them.

I've managed to stay clear of mobile phones since 2009 (my wife is always on hers), still read paper books and don't use a car nav system. 3 screens saved. However now back to the big tv for some more ghost of tsushima with a rechargeable controller, but wired headphones!

I also have a bunch of old PC's laying around. I think of them as time capsules. If you boot any of them up, you're instantly transported back to not only a particular year, but also everything I had been up to when I left. Sure, they mostly won't run anymore, but you'll find things like MSN messenger, Yahoo Pager, dial-up providers on the desktop, old favorites in the browser, old photos... it's really fascinating.

Oh, and Windows ME. Gotta love Windows Me. 

JackHandy said:

I also have a bunch of old PC's laying around. I think of them as time capsules. If you boot any of them up, you're instantly transported back to not only a particular year, but also everything I had been up to when I left. Sure, they mostly won't run anymore, but you'll find things like MSN messenger, Yahoo Pager, dial-up providers on the desktop, old favorites in the browser, old photos... it's really fascinating.

Oh, and Windows ME. Gotta love Windows Me. 

Haha yep, when I boot up the NT machine I get greeted with a MSN messenger login with my profile picture from 20 years ago lol.
The XP machine still has AOL instant messenger.

I have an older NT machine sitting in a closet. It's my old work PC and still has all the source code and old data on it from 1998 to 2002. The thing is built like a tank, when PC cases were still bomb proof. It had a ton of memory for the time (used to process large databases through the night). It should also still have Unreal Tournament and HL death match installed which we played at the end of the day in the office. Including our map of the office for HL, made by one of us. Nothing better than going postal in the office at the end of the day! Booby trap the boss's desk with a couple trip wires :)

I skipped Windows ME and my win 98 PC went to my dad's house who donated it later. My first couple laptops were through work so those were exchanged for newer versions. All the good stuff is on that old NT tank anyway. It's a heavy machine!

Around the Network

A lot lol. TV screens: three but portable devices make it so many more.

Let's see here...

65" 2020 TCL 6-series 4K TV

Switch

2021 10" Kindle Kids Edition (my kids first tablet)

2012 15" MacBook Pro (my main computer still! Still works like new! lol)

13" Acer laptop (wife's main computer)

24" Samsung monitor, generally hooked up to the Acer for dual-screen

iPhone 12 (my main phone)

Pixel 3a (wife's phone)

I am on the low side compared to lot of you guys!

I suppose DS and 3DS devices count as 2 screens each. I own several of these as well as several GBA devices. I just went ahead and clicked the last number, which I'm pretty sure I have when I add all of these screens to everything else I own.

SvennoJ said:

I grew up with one small tv in the house, black and white and later color. Nowadays everyone has multiple screens.

92" projector screen 1080p
65" 4K HDR living room
55" 4K smart tv basement
52" 1080p LCD living room (old tv used for racing)
50" 768p Plasma bedroom
2 42" 1080p smart tv kids rooms
34" CRT guest bedroom
20" CRT loft
2 19" LCD Monitor 1280x1024 (old desktops in the basement)
6 15.4" 1080p laptops in use
3 15.4" 720p old laptops (still working, not in use)
Switch
Switch-lite
WiiU gamepad
3DS
PSP (battery burst out of its cover, still works on power)
2 iPhone
iPad

That comes to 28 'screens' to watch. Excessive :/

Damn, did you say Household or Office? xD

eddy7eddy said:

Damn, did you say Household or Office? xD

Same thing nowadays :p
I started the trend early, been working mainly from home since 2002.

CaptainExplosion said:

I've lost count. Do phones or gaming handhelds count?

Everything that you work, watch, play, read on. Drawing the line at digital photo frames and information displays.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 09 October 2021