By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90.

Dragon Quest series composer Koichi Sugiyama dies at age 90

The oldest game composer.

Around the Network

Lived a looong prosperous life. DQ12 was to be his final project. Hopefully he was able to compose some songs. I wish DQ11 was DQ12, because the DQ team are up there in age and they need to set standard before they pass the series on, which DQ12 is suppose to do. Very unfortunate that Sugiyama could make it through to the end.

Septic shock, that's a painful way to go.
His music was great.
Rest in peace.

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

That said, I think Shadow put it best: good artist, terrible political stances. Yes, mixed bag indeed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I have mixed feelings about him. but i did like much of his music especially from Dragon Quest 8. I guess this means we'll see a new composer now. Which i think is much needed seeing how the music in DQ11 was handled.

Around the Network

Sorry but good music does not forgive his horrendous ways. I won't miss him and it's Hayato's time to shine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

twintail said:
Mnementh said:

I see online people celebrating his death and this is bad. He was a bad person, probably even evil. But nobody deserves death wishes or the death being celebrating. Such actions make oneself a bad person.

You just compared someone who is anti-lgbt and a JPN war crime denier to ppl who are happy he's dead.

Not the hill to die on... 

And Sugiyama chose to die on his hill....but at least he's dead.

Hiyoooo!

CaptainExplosion said:
Leynos said:

And Sugiyama chose to die on his hill....but at least he's dead.

Hiyoooo!

They need to build a gay bar on that hill just to rub in his face that LGBTs are real people.

Isn't Pokemon a gay bar? Poke a mon? Poke a man?

I know denying war crimes is bad and disgusting, but putting him on the same level like the monsters who commited these crimes in the first place...

May he rest in peace.

EDIT: By the way, I read about the Nanjing massacre and it almost made me vomit, that's how horrible it is to me. But still, the man does deserve respect for his contributions to the medium.

R.I.P Koichi Sugiyama.
I enjoyed much of the music in DQ.