By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft has to be one of, if not the most, out of touch gaming company

The company is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Ghost Recon franchise and they announce.......a FTP class-based Battle Royale.....something that couldn't be further away from what the franchise is. 

Ghost Recon Frontline - Full Announcement Video - YouTube

How Ubisoft thought this would be the best way to celebrate this storied franchise is beyond me.

Almost all their games are going FTP, and even their single player games have the FTP business model while still charging full price. On top of Assassin's Creed going full live-service next, Rainbow Six turned into a MP only hero shooter with Extraction next, Splinter Cell is straight dead, and now Ghost Recon is a Battle Royale. Then there's that FTP Tom Clancy's XDefiant, CoD clone crap. 

There's also the argument that all their games feel "samey" but that's subjective.

I have very little optimism for their upcoming Avatar and Star Wars games, either. 

Mario + Rabbids is one of the very few outliers because Nintendo is very strict in how their IP is handled.

Thoughts on this announcement?

Around the Network

It's tragic, really. Ubisoft have so much great IP to work with, and they're mostly just rotting away under their stewardship. I know people around here are touchy when it comes to acquisitions, but somebody really needs to buy Ubisoft, throw out current management, and empower those studios to get back to making unique games. Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, the various Tom Clancy games, etc. all deserve better.

I guess there is company even more out of touch, but well not good to piss off customer base, they probably think they will be lucky and earn even more than if they would make something similar to the previous titles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nah, Activision Blizzard exists.

Not that Ubi are out of touch but simply creating games that follows market trends. Battle Royale games are hugely popular right now as are live games. Ubisoft are just catching up to the rest of the industry. As much as I would like a new Splinter Cell and PoP, they weren't really big sellers for them. I just hope they don't ruin/or water down AC because that's the only franchise that interests me from them.

Last edited by hinch - on 05 October 2021

Was a big R6S fan earlier on, but what Ubi has been doing with it over time has slowly turned me off. Extraction doesn't entice me at all. Anything for growth anymore..

Around the Network

We need a new Rayman game badly!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Ubisoft has nothing on modern day Blizzard

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

ubisoft truly have lose their touch!
i miss the far cry 3 and assassin's creed iv black flag days

hinch said:

Nah, Activision Blizzard exists.

Not that Ubi are out of touch but simply creating games that follows market trends. Battle Royale games are hugely popular right now as are live games. Ubisoft are just catching up to the rest of the industry. As much as I would like a new Splinter Cell and PoP, they weren't really big sellers for them. I just hope they don't ruin/or water down AC because that's the only franchise that interests me from them.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time sold 14 million copies. It's baffling that they stopped making new games in that franchise.

gtotheunit91 said:

The company is celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Ghost Recon franchise and they announce.......a FTP class-based Battle Royale.....something that couldn't be further away from what the franchise is.

They don't care about celebrating the franchise, they just want to make money. They want a F2P money making machine like fortnite and their chances of success are very low but they'll keep trying.