By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft has to be one of, if not the most, out of touch gaming company

Kakadu18 said:
hinch said:

Nah, Activision Blizzard exists.

Not that Ubi are out of touch but simply creating games that follows market trends. Battle Royale games are hugely popular right now as are live games. Ubisoft are just catching up to the rest of the industry. As much as I would like a new Splinter Cell and PoP, they weren't really big sellers for them. I just hope they don't ruin/or water down AC because that's the only franchise that interests me from them.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time sold 14 million copies. It's baffling that they stopped making new games in that franchise.

14M was the Sands of time trilogy and PoP in total. Which is 4 games. Forgotten sands (the latest PoP) only managed an estimated 100K - https://www.ign.com/articles/2009/11/30/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands-announced

"Ubisoft also dropped some sales numbers during the call. The revamped, cell-shaded Prince of Persia title from 2008 moved 2.5 million copies worldwide, and when combined with the 'Sands of Time' series, sales reached upwards of 14 million units total. "

For comparison some of the Assassin's Creed games sold upwards of nearly 10M each and they released those annually. And now every few/couple years. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-10-assassins-creed-valhalla-gave-ubisoft-its-best-ever-financial-results I'm sure the suits and stuff knows their stuff and done the numbers otherwise they wouldn't go the F2P, or multiplayer route for some of their franchises.

Last edited by hinch - on 06 October 2021

Around the Network

Leaving aside how predictable their trend following is, they surely throw around the Tom Clancy name a lot, don't they? I mean, that's the name of an author, and we have to assume the games with that name attached are either directly based on his works, or set in his worlds. Since Tom Clancy died, I've seen his name used for all sorts of games, and I'm pretty sure he didn't envisioned most of those, I'm not sure how the family feels about the abuse of his name.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:

Leaving aside how predictable their trend following is, they surely throw around the Tom Clancy name a lot, don't they? I mean, that's the name of an author, and we have to assume the games with that name attached are either directly based on his works, or set in his worlds. Since Tom Clancy died, I've seen his name used for all sorts of games, and I'm pretty sure he didn't envisioned most of those, I'm not sure how the family feels about the abuse of his name.

Yeah...that's kind of one of the more damning things Ubisoft has done. Tarnishing the name, Tom Clancy. For years, when you saw that Tom Clancy name on a video game, you knew you were in for something unlike anything else in the gaming industry. You would be expecting something slower, tactical, stealth-like. It truly made you feel those tense situations you would be in. It also made you think of the political thriller movies. 

Now the Tom Clancy video games are either dead, a hero shooter, a looter shooter, a battle royale, or a CoD clone with some weird punkish aesthetic in the XDefiant title. No game with the name Tom Clancy resembles what made those different franchises so unique and memorable, and would rather chase trends. What a damn shame for sure. 

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 06 October 2021

Ubisoft is doing really well financially, so I'd say they're definitely not out of touch. I mean, their games are obviously selling very well, so they know what people want. That said, the situation is a pity though, since many of their games seem to feel very similar and I don't think they're really treating their franchises respectfully (unless you consider 'not treating with great disrespect' to be respectful).

halil23 said:

Nah that only belong to m$, who also is anti competitive and anti consumer.

Introduced pay online gaming.
Introduced charging for dlc/expansion pack
Buys up big publishers
Popularize money hat/bribe
Bribe game reviewers
Force kinect with every xbox
Popularize of desperate ads everywhere to sell their flops
Now they have rental pass of mediocre games!!
And there's more but all the dunning kruger here won't admit or believe it....
Plus there's also m$ as a whole, but we're talking about games here so I'll leave that out.

"There's also the argument that all their games feel samey"
halo, gears and forza says hi

Damn, that's some salt.