By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is 1 million the garanteed number for a sequel?

Earthbound sold a Million right? It never got a sequel. Kid Icarus never got a sequel, Duck Hunt never got a sequal, Secret of Mana 2(SD 3) never got a sequel. BMX XXX never got a sequel : ).

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
hunter_alien said:
d21lewis said:
Brute Force? Yeah, I think you're right. It had a huge ad campaign, and shipped to Halo starved XBOX owners. I bought it last year, for my 360. That game REALLY SUCKED. That's an instance where I would take the money and run. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to that one!

Man , our tastes are exactly the oposite :P You have to admit , it was looking amazing compared to other games back than ;) BTW : the game sold more first week than Halo did ;)

I guess it's not fair to judge a 2002 XBOX 1 game against my 2007 XBOX 360 games, huh? It did look good in those commercials, though. But those were just cut scenes.

Crackdown sold about 1.4 million and never got a sequel.  Dead Rising sold 1.66 and still hasn't had a sequel announced although it's rumored to be in development.

bigjon said:
Earthbound sold a Million right? It never got a sequel. Kid Icarus never got a sequel, Duck Hunt never got a sequal, Secret of Mana 2(SD 3) never got a sequel. BMX XXX never got a sequel : ).

Earthbound sold a little under a million with 800K in Japan and ~200K in America.  It did get a sequel as Mother 3(which is what the Earthbound series is called in Japan) but it was only released in Japan.  Seiken Densetsu 3 did get a sequel in the form of Dawn of Mana(Seiken Densetsu 4 in Japan) which was a disappointment to fans of the series.

Legend11 said:
d21lewis said:
hunter_alien said:
d21lewis said:
Brute Force? Yeah, I think you're right. It had a huge ad campaign, and shipped to Halo starved XBOX owners. I bought it last year, for my 360. That game REALLY SUCKED. That's an instance where I would take the money and run. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to that one!

Man , our tastes are exactly the oposite :P You have to admit , it was looking amazing compared to other games back than ;) BTW : the game sold more first week than Halo did ;)

I guess it's not fair to judge a 2002 XBOX 1 game against my 2007 XBOX 360 games, huh? It did look good in those commercials, though. But those were just cut scenes.

Crackdown sold about 1.4 million and never got a sequel. Dead Rising sold 1.66 and still hasn't had a sequel announced although it's rumored to be in development.

Wellboth could still gte sequels IMO ... they are not that ld games :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Not necessarily a requirement for it to be a platinum seller to have a sequel. Look at Beyond Good & Evil. Commercial flop but gained such a hardcore status that a sequel has begun production at Ubisoft Montreal (I'm not sure if it's still in rumor stage or officially confirmed at the moment, but I know multiple sources say it's happening).

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be.

Around the Network

Not necessarily,exp:hevenly swordisn't million sellers first week,but the developers sayed thats it will be a trilogy

Crackdown sold 1.4 million and isn't getting one.

:(

Sad. Fun game.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?