By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is 1 million the garanteed number for a sequel?

I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that's sold a million, and hasn't gotten a sequel. I figure, if you spend a year or two making something that you love, and it strikes a chord with the gaming public, why wouldn't you want to make a sequel?

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I'm having a hard time thinking of a game that's sold a million, and hasn't gotten a sequel. I figure, if you spend a year or two making something that you love, and it strikes a chord with the gaming public, why wouldn't you want to make a sequel?

Brute Force never got a sequel , and I clearly remember that thye shipped a million copys to reatilers ... to bad , It was actually one of the rare Xbox games that I liked :?

Edit : post # 3k :D 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Brute Force? Yeah, I think you're right. It had a huge ad campaign, and shipped to Halo starved XBOX owners. I bought it last year, for my 360. That game REALLY SUCKED. That's an instance where I would take the money and run. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to that one!

d21lewis said:
Brute Force? Yeah, I think you're right. It had a huge ad campaign, and shipped to Halo starved XBOX owners. I bought it last year, for my 360. That game REALLY SUCKED. That's an instance where I would take the money and run. I don't think anyone wants a sequel to that one!

Man , our tastes are exactly the oposite :P You have to admit , it was looking amazing compared to other games back than ;) BTW : the game sold more first week than Halo did ;)

World of WarCraft has sold over 12 million copies and there has been no sequel yet. Four years since WoW was released.

Around the Network

^no but it got an expansion and blizzards been busy with a game (have they announced what it is yet?)

hunter_alien said:
d21lewis said:

Man , our tastes are exactly the oposite :P You have to admit , it was looking amazing compared to other games back than ;) BTW : the game sold more first week than Halo did ;)

I guess it's not fair to judge a 2002 XBOX 1 game against my 2007 XBOX 360 games, huh?  It did look good in those commercials, though.  But those were just cut scenes.

In todays gen, games making 50-60 million bucks isnt much but i depends on the developer if the sequel will sell more than the predessesor but IMO selling 1 mill still increases chance of a sequal since its still alot of copies that have been sold.

d21lewis said:
hunter_alien said:
d21lewis said:

I guess it's not fair to judge a 2002 XBOX 1 game against my 2007 XBOX 360 games, huh? It did look good in those commercials, though. But those were just cut scenes.

It was actually Digital Anvils last game , so it was a later 03 or 04 game ... I cant remember . Though it came out before H2 :)

Actually, it depends on the production costs of the game