By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is 1 million the garanteed number for a sequel?

This is  a question that I am pondering about. Do games that reach 1 million garanteed to have a sequel or is it dependent upon the developers choice?

I need responses.

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Around the Network

They dont have to, but it would be a good idea to make a sequel to it.

Look at halo. The first one sold 5 mil, halo 2 sold 8 mil.

Developpers choice.

1mil seems to be the achievement of most games. Anything higher is a bonus.

(I don't apply this to mario games or gta. Games like these need to hit at least 5 mil to get a sequel imo.)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

True Genius
CaptainPrefrences said:
They dont have to, but it would be a good idea to make a sequel to it.

Look at halo. The first one sold 5 mil, halo 2 sold 8 mil.

Ohh, not even close.

If we're talking about games intended to have a sequel, then yes. Mass Effect still hasn't broken 2 million and the developers are talking about a trilogy (yes, the sales are good, but I was really expecting more considering how absolutely massive the hype was). 

Around the Network

Developers choice. Xenogears sold over 2mil, (Vgchartz only had JPN number) and i never got a sequal, only a spinoff.

There are other examples but this one really pisses me off.

Okay, maybe I exaggerated on that last post of mine. But, games like Mario, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, and Halo will get sequels nontheless. They all get past 5 mil anyways.

True Genius

it depends on how much you spend on the title. Games like Halo 3 and MGS4 need to sell 1 million on day 1 to even debate about the possibility of a sequel while Carnival Games can get way with a lot fewer sales.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

No, please don't make a sequel to carnival games.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger