By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 38, 2021 - (13th Sept - 19th Sept)

tbone51 said:
Otter said:

The fact that the PSVita outsold the N64/Gamecube and was able to reach 50% of PS4's LT sales without any major exclusives or IPs is very telling. No Final Fantasy, no Dragon Quest, no Monster Hunter etc

Another thing that’s telling is the fact none of y’all want to shout out no home console and say NSW is portable and that’s what sells in japan..... then wake up to see that argument is flawed due to NSW lite vs the original sku

This is you arguing with someone else. Who is y'all? The Switch Hybrid is still portable and that can never be taken away, you're not comparing sales of the lite to sales of a TV only Switch. nowhere am I arguing their is no appeal to TV and local multiplayer play when the PS4 still sold 10m units, and local multiplayer games do exceedingly well on the Switch. In any case spending a bit more to get that added benefit and the bigger screen is probably a no brainer for most Japanese gamers.

Its wild anyone is trying to underplay the preference towards portable play in Japan. I have no ears for it. If people defensively feel that means people are undermining Nintendo's success or dismissing Sonys failings then that is an argument they can have with someone who is actually making it... 

Last edited by Otter - on 29 September 2021

Around the Network

There is no Switch TV, IE: a Switch that can only use TV.

PS Vita TV was a thing, it bombed.

src said:
Otter said:

The fact that the PSVita outsold the N64/Gamecube and was able to reach 50% of PS4's LT sales without any major exclusives or IPs is very telling. No Final Fantasy, no Dragon Quest, no Monster Hunter etc

Pretty much.

Even Nintendo with all its IPs could not make a mark in the home console sector with the failure that was the WiiU so they bowed out.

Again, this is obvious, everyone in the industry knows this for the past decade.

Only those with some narrative to spin, say things like its because Japan doesn't like Playstation.

Playstation is the last home console only system that can sell well in Japan. Playstation would never do a hybrid console as they employ top of the industry hardware, chip, software engineers to make cutting edge consoles and software. This is the right strategy, especially with AR/VR coming soon, Playstation is poised well to lead on the all new platform.

With the variability of games also coming back, Steam deck, shows that a portable Playstation that shares its library with the home console could happen sooner than later. If not then by then, 5G and streaming tech could allow a better streaming product.

I'm also glad SE and Capcom have completely retooled their pipelines to become AAA powerhouses. Namco Bandai is slowly starting as well. This is great for the Japanese industry as its been behind the West in software dev for a long long time.

Before anyone points out the far-too-obvious hypocrisy and disingenuous nature of your statements, would you care to reference where anyone has said 'Japan doesn't like Playstation'?

Otter said:
tbone51 said:

Another thing that’s telling is the fact none of y’all want to shout out no home console and say NSW is portable and that’s what sells in japan..... then wake up to see that argument is flawed due to NSW lite vs the original sku

This is you arguing with someone else. Who is y'all? The Switch Hybrid is still portable and that can never be taken away, you're not comparing sales of the lite to sales of a TV only Switch. nowhere am I arguing their is no appeal to TV and local multiplayer play when the PS4 still sold 10m units, and local multiplayer games do exceedingly well on the Switch. In any case spending a bit more to get that added benefit and the bigger screen is probably a no brainer for most Japanese gamers.

Its wild anyone is trying to underplay the preference towards portable play in Japan. I have no ears for it. If people defensively feel that means people are undermining Nintendo's success or dismissing Sonys failings then that is an argument they can have with someone who is actually making it... 

Again, Switch Lite (smaller and cheaper portable) sold more than Switch and Ring Fit Adventure (requires TV screen) sold terrible, said no one ever.

Otter said:

You compared Vita to two struggling home platforms though I don't think you can act like your argument was a fair comparison either, PS2 outsold GBA and also the PSP even in Japan in its era when the GC was around while PS1 was only outsold by the GB due to the GBC it still however hit 21m and blew away all other portables in the era of the N64 which makes your Vita argument something of a cherry pick to go for GC and N64 when they weren't even the leading platforms back then. Vita didn't have the games you say but it did get a number of games the region liked such as P4 Golden, Atelier games, Disgaea series, Dragon Quest games in builders and heroes, Vanillaware titles like Dragon's Crown, numerous Warriors titles etc... Now compare that to what the N64 and GC got in the region and you'll see that the Vita did as well as it did because it still had the software the region likes which brings up the next point.

The success of portables isn't a regional preference thing on hardware as consoles and portables where at one point blow for blow in the region and portables are still doing the same numbers they did before the true reason for the change in home platform performance is that the leading home platform moved away from the games the region like, the PS3 began shifted to a more western style approach Rol pointed it out just fine that the games the region liked weren't being focused on as much or pushed and this has only increased in the following gens. You can call people defensive and say you won't have ears all you want but these are legitimate factors in the market as when you don't cater to a market's preference you begin to fall out of favour no matter what hardware you release this even applies to software itself as seen in games like Final Fantasy which followed suit in being more suited to western tastes and has dropped significantly in presence in the region portables however kept pushing the same type of games the region liked so the result is people migrated more towards them it's not a preference for portable play its the software.

The result is the market defaulted to buying portable platforms as that was where most of the games they preferred were on.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

You compared Vita to two struggling home platforms though I don't think you can act like your argument was a fair comparison either, PS2 outsold GBA and also the PSP even in Japan in its era when the GC was around while PS1 was only outsold by the GB due to the GBC it still however hit 21m and blew away all other portables in the era of the N64 which makes your Vita argument something of a cherry pick to go for GC and N64 when they weren't even the leading platforms back then. Vita didn't have the games you say but it did get a number of games the region liked such as P4 Golden, Atelier games, Disgaea series, Dragon Quest games in builders and heroes, Vanillaware titles like Dragon's Crown, numerous Warriors titles etc... Now compare that to what the N64 and GC got in the region and you'll see that the Vita did as well as it did because it still had the software the region likes which brings up the next point.

The success of portables isn't a regional preference thing on hardware as consoles and portables where at one point blow for blow in the region and portables are still doing the same numbers they did before the true reason for the change in home platform performance is that the leading home platform moved away from the games the region like, the PS3 began shifted to a more western style approach Rol pointed it out just fine that the games the region liked weren't being focused on as much or pushed and this has only increased in the following gens. You can call people defensive and say you won't have ears all you want but these are legitimate factors in the market as when you don't cater to a market's preference you begin to fall out of favour no matter what hardware you release this even applies to software itself as seen in games like Final Fantasy which followed suit in being more suited to western tastes and has dropped significantly in presence in the region portables however kept pushing the same type of games the region liked so the result is people migrated more towards them it's not a preference for portable play its the software.

The result is the market defaulted to buying portable platforms as that was where most of the games they preferred were on.

Its not cherry picking or unfair. The Vita's best selling game barely passed 300k in Japan, its also a re-release. We can't compare the likes of Disgaea, Dragon Crown, Persona 4 Golden and Hiku to the far bigger titles we saw home platforms like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario etc. The gamecube also had plenty of niche titles. I'd also argue that many of the niche games like Hiku that flourished on the Vita would struggle far more on a home console. There's inherently different appeal to certain games and play styles, animal crossing for example excels in portable format. 

If a home console was limited to PSVita's library, it would of sold abysmally in Japan. That was the telling thing from the hardware comparison

As far as comparing the likes of PS2 to GBA there's obviously a limit to the kind of games a GBA/16bit device can offer, once the handhelds moved to realising 3D worlds it was a wrap. PSP was literally neck and neck with the PS2 sales wise but we can see that the inidvidual selling power of PSP games were far behind their PS2 counterparts. Japanese developers preferring to develop on portable/low spec machines doesn't negate the fact that portables have an advantage in the market, in fact it only reinforces it. The only reason why this is misunderstood is because its being perceived in a Sony vs Nintendo lens.

Otter said:

Its not cherry picking or unfair. The Vita's best selling game barely passed 300k in Japan, its also a re-release. We can't compare the likes of Disgaea, Dragon Crown, Persona 4 Golden and Hiku to the far bigger titles we saw home platforms like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario etc. The gamecube also had plenty of niche titles. 

If a home console was limited to PSVita's library, it would of sold abysmally in Japan. That was the telling thing from the hardware comparison

As far as comparing the likes of PS2 to GBA there's obviously a limit to the kind of games a GBA/16bit device can offer, once the handhelds moved to realising 3D worlds it was a wrap. PSP was literally neck and neck with the PS2 sales wise but we can see that the inidvidual selling power of PSP games were far behind their PS2 counterparts. Japanese developers preferring to develop on portable/low spec machines doesn't negate the fact that portables have an advantage in the market, in fact it only reinforces it. The only reason why this is misunderstood is because its being perceived in a Sony vs Nintendo lens.

Except we can compare the games Vita got because as a collective library it very much caters to the region better than the two consoles you cherry picked those two platforms only sold what they did because of the first party offering look at platforms that didn't have Nintendo's first party like the DC that only could reach 2.2m for reference, GC didn't have plenty of niche titles that catered to the region it just had general niche titles, games like Doshin the Giant aren't the same as what I named.

Vita sold abysmally though it's competitor outsold it 4 times over and it's only compared to struggling or failed platforms that says it all the comparison basically is telling of nothing but cherry picking.

GBA also sold less than the SNES and NES so your 3D argument doesn't fly here, PSP had rampant piracy on it why do you think third parties outside of Capcom's MH team avoided it you could buy a PSP then buy a memstick off ebay with all the games loaded on it along the homebrew app to run them, this is the same platform that had PS1 games running on it before official PSN releases so they would be behind their PS2 counterparts.

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

Its not cherry picking or unfair. The Vita's best selling game barely passed 300k in Japan, its also a re-release. We can't compare the likes of Disgaea, Dragon Crown, Persona 4 Golden and Hiku to the far bigger titles we saw home platforms like Smash Bros, Mario Kart, 3D Mario etc. The gamecube also had plenty of niche titles. 

Except we can compare the games Vita got because as a collective library it very much caters to the region better than the two consoles you cherry picked those two platforms only sold what they did because of the first party offering look at platforms that didn't have Nintendo's first party like the DC that only could reach 2.2m for reference, GC didn't have plenty of niche titles that catered to the region it just had general niche titles, games like Doshin the Giant aren't the same as what I named.

Vita sold abysmally though it's competitor outsold it 4 times over and it's only compared to struggling or failed platforms that says it all the comparison basically is telling of nothing but cherry picking.

GBA also sold less than the SNES and NES so your 3D argument doesn't fly here, PSP had rampant piracy on it why do you think third parties outside of Capcom's MH team avoided it you could buy a PSP then buy a memstick off ebay with all the games loaded on it along the homebrew app to run them, this is the same platform that had PS1 games running on it before official PSN releases so they would be behind their PS2 counterparts.

Pikmin alone sold more than any PSVita game in Japan (at retail). How else do we decipher how well a niche title appeals to the market other than looking at its sales? The Vita has a lack of notable sellers. To compare the collective library as a whole I'd have to see them and their sales in front of me, which I do not. Do you? 

SNES/NES do not need to be outsold by the GBA in order for my argument to hold. Both systems for their time represented the full scope of what was possible and appreciated in Japanese gaming with no portable platform to compete with. The GBA did not represent scope of Japanese gaming tastes in 2001 and was limited in what it could offer gamers. 

Edit: Those loopholes existed in every region for the PSP but we see its sales are disproptionately high in Japan. In no other market is the PSP neck to neck with the PS2.

Beyond that the industry and tastes are not fixed and is allowed to evolve in time. What's clear is that the tastes of market favour lower spec portable machines, making it harder for home consoles to succeed when very capable portable machines exist alongside them. That's it from my contributions to this thread.

Otter said:

Pikmin alone sold more than any PSVita game in Japan. How else do we decipher how well a niche title appeals to the market other than looking at its sales? The Vita has a lack of notable sellers. To compare the collective library as a whole I'd have to see them and their sales in front of me, which I do not. Do you? 

SNES/NES do not need to be outsold by the GBA in order for my argument to hold. Both systems for their time represented the full scope of what was possible and appreciated in Japanese gaming with no portable platform to compete with. The GBA did not represent scope of Japanese gaming tastes in 2001 and was limited in what it could offer gamers. 

Beyond that the industry and tastes are not fixed and is allowed to evolve in time. What's clear is that the tastes of market favour lower spec portable machines, making it harder for home consoles to succeed when very capable portable machines exist alongside them. That's it from my contributions to this thread.

Guess what Pikmin is? A first party title from Miyamoto that was pushed as his new IP at the height of his career which backs my whole point, do you see releases of games like Disgaea, Persona, Warriors and so on on GC? No because all those games were on another platform, PS2, which outsold two of the 3 portables in its era.

Your logic is portables were only being outsold by PS2 and PS1 because of 3D so under that chain of thought GBA still should have outsold both those platform with your stance but as we can see that's not the case meaning the is a lot more to it than whether a bit of hardware is portable. Japanese gaming tastes is the whole point PS2 outsold portables because it had the full range to cater to the regions preference something the PS brand no longer did from PS3 onward.

The tastes of the market don't favour lower specs portable machines they're simply just not dictated by fidelity the is a big difference, if the platform can't think beyond the realms of pushing power as a draw for its games while releasing games that aren't that interesting to the region then it's not a case of the region favour any type of specs it's a case of the platform holder failing to cater to the region. To the Japanese it's like ok you've got power what are you doing with it that builds on what we like and they're not getting any answer to this question instead they're seeing it build on what other regions like.

As for the PSP edit it's sales are consistent across each region averaging about 20m meaning for a non Nintendo portable it punched well above its weight outside of Japan and is the only portable to do so that isn't from Nintendo. The PSP's library ended up catering more to the Japanese audience with strong support from Level 5 as well as titles from NiS, Capcom's MH team, imagePoch, Koei etc...

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 29 September 2021

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

Pikmin alone sold more than any PSVita game in Japan. How else do we decipher how well a niche title appeals to the market other than looking at its sales? The Vita has a lack of notable sellers. To compare the collective library as a whole I'd have to see them and their sales in front of me, which I do not. Do you? 

Guess what Pikmin is? A first party title from Miyamoto that was pushed as his new IP at the height of his career which backs my whole point, do you see releases of games like Disgaea, Persona, Warriors and so on on GC? No because all those games were on another platform, PS2, which outsold two of the 3 portables in its era.

Your logic is portables were only being outsold by PS2 and PS1 because of 3D so under that chain of thought GBA still should have outsold both those platform with your stance but as we can see that's not the case meaning the is a lot more to it than whether a bit of hardware is portable. Japanese gaming tastes is the whole point PS2 outsold portables because it had the full range to cater to the regions preference something the PS brand no longer did from PS3 onward.

The tastes of the market don't favour lower specs portable machines they're simply just not dictated by fidelity the is a big difference, if the platform can't think beyond the realms of pushing power as a draw for its games while releasing games that aren't that interesting to the region then it's not a case of the region favour any type of specs it's a case of the platform holder failing to cater to the region. To the Japanese it's like ok you've got power what are you doing with it that builds on what we like and they're not getting any answer to this question instead they're seeing it build on what other regions like.

Not being dictated by fidelity and holding up sound on devices that you can also take on the go, is inherently favouring portability in a market well portability is appreciated. This is also why Switch is doing so well with indies in the west. 

With the bolded you've completely missed my logic and invented your own. The point is about scope of existing tastes the platforms could cater to at the time, the GBA was limited and couldn't fulfil many of the kinds of games that were popular at the time. This does not apply to the NES/SNES.