Metroid Dread + Switch OLED 19 28.36%

Metroid Dread + Regular Switch 0 0%

Metroid Dread + Switch Lite 0 0%

Only Switch OLED 1 1.49%

Only Regular Switch 1 1.49%

Only Switch Lite 0 0%

Waiting for prime 4 6 8.96%

Total:67

I will own a Switch with an OLED screen... eventually. No need for a new model right now though, particularly when it's still at its premium price.

Buying Metroid day one.

Around the Network

100% getting the OLED model, and 70% chance of getting Metroid Dread.
I like that it's not empty/desolate like the Prime games.
I like that it's third person.
I like that it has an exploration focus - whether that means open world like the first Metroid, I'm not sure yet. Metroid Prime was far too linear.
I like the intense battle elements, the idea that danger could be anywhere. Stakes mean a lot. The first game had stakes, if you screwed up, it meant a lot of grinding to get back energy... how they could replicate something like that in a modern game, I'm not sure, grinding for HP is definitely not something I'd go for... some games like Dwarf Fortress, grand strategy games, and FTL manage to make stakes important in various ways that are more acceptable in modern gaming. I really enjoyed what Fire Emblem used to do, but have been bored of the series since they changed the formula with Awakening, I mean, they had an old formula version with Conquest, but it was so poorly balanced that it seemed they still designed it with the thought that people would play with permadeath off.
I'm not sure how I feel about the 2D, I'd much prefer a 3D approach with some 2D type stuff... in the way Super Mario Galaxy 2 did it. But it seems that they went in the opposite direction of that. Could be good, but it has a lot of competition on the Switch already in the 2D sidescroller exploration/action.

I love the original Metroid game to this day. It's still my favourite in the franchise - somehow even with all the massive upgrades in technology allowing for more variety, cosmetic improvements, and much higher production values, none of the later Metroid games quite give me that same sense of satisfaction as the first game. None of them have that feeling of losing yourself and slowly learning the layout of the land, the secrets, and also the fear that screwing up meant big consequences. None of them had a section as satisfying as meeting the Metroids in person for the first time, or a boss battle that gets my blood pumping like Mother Brain. This is my experience, and it's not going to be this way for everyone. I want a game that's like Mario Galaxy to Mario 1 and 3, or Breath of the Wild to Legend of Zelda 1. I want the Metroid game that is on that level, forget the Metroid Primes, the minimaps, tanky controls, empty environments, the "find the key" to proceed to the next area, the handholding no-consequence gameplay, and intrusive scanning stuff. Focus on what makes a Metroid game special: stakes that give reason for fear, a beautiful world to explore (and when I say explore, I don't mean, explore as in being lost in an area trying to find the key, scanning everything, etc.. but ACTUAL exploration like Breath of the Wild... that was Zelda 1 and Metroid 1 style exploration to the next level), keep the intense action - places where you're never quite safe. That's what I'd get excited for.

But in short, I'm interested, but not entirely sold on Metroid Dread. Realistically, I'm likely still buying it even if it doesn't tick a lot of the boxes. It's probably going to be the only Metroid game I play on Switch 1 as my level of faith in Retro for making something I'd enjoy is slim to none.

So yeah, just to reiterate, a sleek white Wii-looking Switch OLED is a yes, and Metroid Dread is probably yes.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Metroid Dread I'll rent first to see if I like it and if so, I'll buy it. Not getting the Switch OLED, I don't play in handheld mode so no point in getting one.

I'll definitely be getting Dread, hyped for the game though honestly also tempering my expectations because the little I've played of Samus Returns is just fine and that's about it.

The OLED model looks sexy (mostly because of the color scheme and smaller bezels), but I got the limited edition Monster Hunter Rise Switch earlier this year because my Switch was kind of acting up anyways (I did get it repaired, but the Rise Switch is just too cool anyways) and surprisingly ... I don't have Fear of Missing Out from the OLED Switch at all. Honestly, seems like a pretty MEH upgrade all things considered. I'll just wait for a Switch Pro if that's a thing, or a Switch 2 if it isn't.

Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

Even the Xbox Series S if I recall has a few games that are sub-1080P. Like Yakuza which drops to 900P/60fps.

All up to the developer, the hardware is capable if they make a few sacrifices.

You aren't understanding. I'm talking about compatibility, not about what developers can do with the hardware. 

Compatibility issues with newer hardware is generally a thing of the past.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

That's not true. You cannot just slap a new chipset into a "Switch Pro" and expect all games to run, run well without glitches, and run substantially better than the stock Switch. They'd have to customize an all new chipset that is still X1 based and even then heating issues would still be a barrier. Not to mention the fact that most games have capped frame rates and resolutions (even when dynamic), so most games would have to be patched. It's simply not going to happen, not with a revision. 

Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

That's not true. You cannot just slap a new chipset into a "Switch Pro" and expect all games to run, run well without glitches, and run substantially better than the stock Switch. They'd have to customize an all new chipset that is still X1 based and even then heating issues would still be a barrier. Not to mention the fact that most games have capped frame rates and resolutions (even when dynamic), so most games would have to be patched. It's simply not going to happen, not with a revision. 

Sure you can.

You see... Nintendo choose Tegra Maxwell, which eventually got ported to 16nm TSMC's process.

Nintendo could absolutely grab Tegra X2, which is feature-identical to Maxwell because it's based on Pascal, port it to 12nm... And enjoy 50% more performance straight out of the box.

Remember, Nintendo isn't using custom propriety hardware, it's off the shelf... And that comes with a plethora of benefits in regards to performance and backwards compatibility.

As for what Nintendo will/won't do... Nintendo tends to operate in it's own bubble... And will often buck market trends/demands... All I am indicating is what is possible, not what Nintendo will/won't do... That I don't care about.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--