By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q4 2021 OpenCritic Prediction League - Final Results Posted!

Weird how Metacritic has Metroid Dread at 89 and Opencritic has it at 88. Isn't practically all the same critics?

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

Weird how Metacritic has Metroid Dread at 89 and Opencritic has it at 88. Isn't practically all the same critics?

Opencritic seems to normally take a few more reviews than MC. It has 104 reviews vs 100 on MC so that might be why. I also believe they aggregate their scores slightly different (ik Metacritic gives more weight to scores from certain publications at least)

TheWalrusCaesar said:
Kakadu18 said:

Opencritic seems to normally take a few more reviews than MC. It has 104 reviews vs 100 on MC so that might be why. I also believe they aggregate their scores slightly different (ik Metacritic gives more weight to scores from certain publications at least)

Metacritic has actually 109 reviews, but 9 of them don't rate the games with numbers, just recommend or not and call the games stuff like "essential". But those aren't counted into the score. Idk how Opencritic does it exactly.

Kakadu18 said:
TheWalrusCaesar said:

Metacritic has actually 109 reviews, but 9 of them don't rate the games with numbers, just recommend or not and call the games stuff like "essential". But those aren't counted into the score. Idk how Opencritic does it exactly.

I'm pretty sure it mostly comes down to the weight Metacritic gives to certain outlets which I'm not sure Opencritic does (or if it does it, they don't have the same weight for each).

Signature goes here!

I think y'all are a bit hard on MPS. Think it will score well since it seems like the first quality game since the MP8 and DS

Around the Network

Metroid Dread did great, I'm happy. I was honestly surprised that everyone seemed to be having high expectations for a 60 dollar side-scroller in 2021, so that's why I went with 86 and even then I thought it was super inflated. Granted, I didn't see anything of the game besides the debut trailer prior to release. And honestly? It deserves the score, it's an 8/9 game, and that's great, it's totally worthy of the pricetag and it even goes beyond that. I'll gladly eat that grilled crow.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

xMetroid said:

I think y'all are a bit hard on MPS. Think it will score well since it seems like the first quality game since the MP8 and DS

See I completely agree with you there. This is the most hyped Ive been for a game in years. But MP8 got like a 65 or smthn (on mc anyways), and Even though the core game will be much deeper and more fun than recent games for people who play more, for reviewers theyll probably dock it for less boards and modes than to look into that. Hope Im proven wrong tho

Hey y’all Advance Wars was delayed to next year so it will no longer be apart of this prediction league. I will keep the predictions there tho so I can add them to the league next year when I’ll likely do another

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1451533822022066179?s=21

Well it looks like I and many others may be wrong about the new mario party game’s average score with it currently sitting at an 80!!! Very happy I was proven wrong

Oof, I really lost that one. It's 79 on metacritic btw, tied for the highest rated Mario Party with the original. I was looking at what past Mario Party games had gotten, glad I didn't go with below 70.

Really weird how most MPs had gotten scores in the 50s, 60s or lower 70s and now SMP and MPS suddenly both get a positive score. What could be the reason for that?