By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo FINALLY adds Bluetooth audio!

wait...all it needed was a software upgrade?! I assumed this needed a hardware addition. Just a software upgrade, why the hell did it take them so many years??? I mean better late than never but that's ridiculous.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's mind-blowing it took so long to add such basic feature

Better late than never anyway 

I'm not surprised at all. It took us until 2021 to get Nintendo hardware with a built-in Ethernet port (the Switch OLED dock which can be bought separately as well). 

The frustrating thing about Bluetooth is that it's a software update. You're telling me they couldn't get it optimized back in 2017?

I really wish Nintendo would add folders and themes to the Switch OS. It's super easy. They could've had those at launch.

Nice to have Bluetooth, but it's about 4.5 years late.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Slownenberg said:

wait...all it needed was a software upgrade?! I assumed this needed a hardware addition. Just a software upgrade, why the hell did it take them so many years??? I mean better late than never but that's ridiculous.

Stay calm lol

It is a hardware and performance issue, the Switch's Bluetooth bandwidth is used for controllers, they had to drop 6 controller connections to get wireless audio to work, no bandwidth left for a mic as well, considering what Nintendo wanted for the Switch, to be a home console as well as portable with local-multiplayer being a big focus, so the number of controllers available is extremely important to them, now late in its cycle they are giving some the choice to gimp the number of controllers for wireless audio 

No other current gaming console uses Bluetooth headsets for a host of hardware/performance reasons  

Last edited by Rab - on 16 September 2021

Wman1996 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's mind-blowing it took so long to add such basic feature

Better late than never anyway 

I'm not surprised at all. It took us until 2021 to get Nintendo hardware with a built-in Ethernet port (the Switch OLED dock which can be bought separately as well). 

The frustrating thing about Bluetooth is that it's a software update. You're telling me they couldn't get it optimized back in 2017?

I really wish Nintendo would add folders and themes to the Switch OS. It's super easy. They could've had those at launch.

Nice to have Bluetooth, but it's about 4.5 years late.

people are already complaining about the quality and lag... so uh, might not have been a smart move TBH