By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite won't be having an XP progression system!?

FormerlyTeamSilent13 said:
shikamaru317 said:

4 had a better campaign than 5, way better. Multiplayer on 4 was meh though.

Both were awful coming from Bungie's games and the books. I did not really like Reach's story either, but it had great level design unlike Halo 4. Halo 4 is by far the worst Halo game because at least Halo 5's multiplayer was somewhat fun (although did not feel like Halo) while I think both campaigns are flawed. Warzone in particular was better than anything new Halo 4 tried. I was one of the top 50 players in Halo 4's multiplayer on halo charts and beat legendary solo blind with only 16 deaths (probably every death was to a promethean knight). It may seem strange to criticize a game you are good at, but I have done that among other games as well. The campaign wasn't challenging, the story was full of plotholes, and it sucked. I want Bungie's atmosphere of hope and actual consequences for humanity. I almost prefer Halo 5 just because I think Halo 4 is what led to Halo 5 and at least the giant Guardians were interesting. I maintain Halo 4 was the worst AAA game I ever purchased not just worst Halo game.

H4 is probably my favorite game in the entire series (atleast equal to H3). It has a story that draws you in, some amazing levels in terms of atmosphere and pacing, the new vehicles and weapons are great and the prometheans are and interesting enemy with a tragic backstory.

Around the Network

Halo 4 will forever be one of the most overrated campaigns in Halo in my opinion. The level design was super bland (the most narrow Halo campaign of the first 6 mainline titles, with its only competition maybe being Halo 2, which itself had some pretty damn open levels), the "press the button to do the thing" got old in the second level and then just went on from there. Cortana's rampancy was super over the top, it's the kind of writing that people only think is good because it's dramatic relative to standard video games, not because it's exceptional in its own right. It got cringy at points. And the other characters being both annoying and underwritten - I mean everyone knows about that now but it's worth mentioning again.

Honestly looking back at it, I think the biggest damnation about Halo 4 is that it was the Halo game that kind of tried to deliver on every Halo fans' wet dreams as far as set pieces go, yet aside from the general concept of them being pretty cool I can't seem to remember them being all that interesting. Flying the pelican? Cool idea. Boarding a Phantom? Cool idea. Using a successor to The Elephant in campaign? Cool idea. Adding a mission that's basically a successor to The Sabre stuff in Halo: Reach? Cool idea.

Was any of that actually that fun? Not really.

The most I can say about it is I like the ending dialogue (which everyone likes anyways) and the intro movie (which has almost nothing to do with the game and really just sets up Halo 5) is cool. Actually, the first level is pretty great, and there's parts of the second level I like. But overall it's very mediocre.

Nah, Halo 4 campaign was great. Action packed levels, great pacing, great weapons, amazing enemies.

People are really overblowing this, "No XP progression system." It's really not an issue, especially when the challenges are based on trivia things like winning matches, assist, kills, objective, etc. You certainly won't need to "be a god" to earn. There is a reason challenges are split between daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal, etc. This should also decrease the amount of idle players who just sit in lobbies to gain XP for doing nothing. At the very least, let's see how it plays out before asking for change.

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 30 August 2021

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Captain_Yuri said:

If this game flops, I really hope they fire 343. MCC, Halo 5 and possibly Halo Infinite? Time to give the franchise to a new studio that can actually handle a flagship.

Definitely my personal least favorite studio of all time, even if they've fixed most of MCC by now. The level of incompetence reaches to a point where I actively get annoyed at what used to be my favorite gaming franchise. There's definitely other franchises that have fallen out of my favor, but mostly because of stagnation/a lack of interest on my part. Halo just kept getting worse and while Infinite will almost assuredly be better than 5 I don't know if it will be "great" either at launch at this rate. 

I highly recommend checking out MCC if you haven't in the last 3 years. It's a night and day difference from when the game launched, and I would say one of the best supported games on the market today. In the next season they are adding Flood to Halo ODST firefight which was never in the original game. 

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:

Nah, Halo 4 campaign was great. Action packed levels, great pacing, great weapons, amazing enemies.

Enemies were by far one of the worst parts of Halo 4. The A.I. in that game is noticeably worse than any Halo game before it. I can't remember if they improved it in Halo 5 or not, but if they did Halo 4 is easily the Halo game with the worst A.I. out there. 

smroadkill15 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Definitely my personal least favorite studio of all time, even if they've fixed most of MCC by now. The level of incompetence reaches to a point where I actively get annoyed at what used to be my favorite gaming franchise. There's definitely other franchises that have fallen out of my favor, but mostly because of stagnation/a lack of interest on my part. Halo just kept getting worse and while Infinite will almost assuredly be better than 5 I don't know if it will be "great" either at launch at this rate. 

I highly recommend checking out MCC if you haven't in the last 3 years. It's a night and day difference from when the game launched, and I would say one of the best supported games on the market today. In the next season they are adding Flood to Halo ODST firefight which was never in the original game. 

I mean, I have checked it out and in fact have been playing it this week. I like the current version of MCC a lot, some issues withstanding. But that doesn't make me like 343. I'm really glad they're keeping these games alive. But it both took them too long to fix MCC, and MCC's content as a whole is only somewhat reflective on 343. 

I guess I could say that after years at work, many fixes, and tons of community angst, maybe 343 earns the title having the best remaster collection on the market. Actually, I agree with that a lot. But it's a very small part of what makes 343, well, 343. I still don't like them as a whole even if I like parts of them.

Agree to disagree. The enemies in Halo 4 might be my favorite. The level design was much better than Halo 5 imho. AI seemed fine to me. I was doing a play through of all the Halo’s, most of them for the first time, didn’t notice any big difference in AI.

If you’re ever wondering whether Halo 5 improved on something or not, just assume not, because it is the worst Halo in terms of campaign.

I get the concern but i honest don't really care if the XP is in the game or not. As long as its solid at launch and their is plenty to do, it wont affect me.