By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2021: Los Angeles Rams Win Super Bowl LVI

Who will win Super Bowl LVI?

Kansas City Chiefs 2 9.09%

Buffalo Bills 2 9.09%

Baltimore Ravens 0 0%

Cleveland Browns 1 4.55%

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 7 31.82%

Green Bay Packers 3 13.64%

Los Angeles Rams 3 13.64%

New Orleans Saints 0 0%

Other (AFC) 3 13.64%

Other (NFC) 1 4.55%

Total:22

I have to agree with Michael Strahan that with five sacks against the Titans linebacker Chandler Jones had the most impressive performance in week one.

Around the Network

Well, this week sure sucked for me.

Man Stafford easily beat the Bears on the Rams team. I am very surprised. He couldn't do much on the Lions.

Yesterday I was too tired to watch a second game and I seemingly lucked out because Green Bay couldn't anything going, so I was spared the misery. Most certainly the biggest surprise of week 1, that the Packers got routed like that. Regardless, the Packers are tied for first place in a winless NFC North. As for other results...

I was skeptical that Houston would be really as bad as everyone acted like - even the prediction league had the Texans as the #1 choice for the #1 Draft Pick with a majority of the votes - but I picked the Jaguars in week 1 anyway. Turns out that Jacksonville sucks even more.

The Vikings falling to the Bengals was unexpected, so was the clear victory of the Cardinals over the Titans. I mean, it wasn't farfetched that Arizona would win, but not by this margin. Steelers vs. Bills was the game I watched yesterday and the first half of it was pretty much how I expected the Steelers to look like: Weak on offense, but with a defense that can keep them in the game. The Bills gave the game away in the second half.

Didn't take long to get reminded by the Falcons why you should hardly ever pick them. The Patriots suffered a close loss against the Dolphins.

All that being said, not much of what happens in week 1 actually matters going forward. Week 1 is infamous for having results and performances that don't get repeated. For example, last year we had the Jaguars win against the Colts which then ended up being their only win of the season.

In the prediction league we had 3 of the 8 hero pick games play out in favor of the underdogs, resulting in 6 of the 14 hero picks paying off in week 1. That's just a bit under 50%, so that's a rather high rate of success.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Could I change my MNF pick to the Raiders, please?

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

Sure. I suppose you are banking on another week 1 oddity to happen.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Shaunodon said:

Week 1 oddity? The Bills, Josh Allen in particular, are overhyped. The NFL pre-game analysts all said they thought it'd be a close game yet they all still picked the Bills. People just have a bizarre fascination with them and Josh Allen for whatever reason, so they get more credit than they really should. They were mostly crap against the Ravens, but Lamar scored more points for them than his own team so they snuck through those playoffs.

Steelers were worse than I thought they'd be on offense, but their defense is just as dominant as I'd expect. If their offense can somehow mold into something at least average, they're probably the only AFC team with a good chance to challenge Kansas City.

Ravens have picked up some big injuries lately and the Raiders are unpredictable with decent talent all-around. Gut feeling still likes the Ravens more, but it's close enough that I'm shocked no one else is picking the Raiders, and I assumed you were trying to encourage hero picks.

That Green Bay was a complete dumpster fire and Texans weren't are the real oddities of week 1 for me.

The Packers getting their ass beat like that was definitely the biggest surprise. Granted, I may have underestimated the Saints to some degree going into the season, but damn...

Everything else kinda makes sense to me.

Shaunodon said:
RolStoppable said:

Week 1 oddity? The Bills, Josh Allen in particular, are overhyped. The NFL pre-game analysts all said they thought it'd be a close game yet they all still picked the Bills. People just have a bizarre fascination with them and Josh Allen for whatever reason, so they get more credit than they really should. They were mostly crap against the Ravens, but Lamar scored more points for them than his own team so they snuck through those playoffs.

Steelers were worse than I thought they'd be on offense, but their defense is just as dominant as I'd expect. If their offense can somehow mold into something at least average, they're probably the only AFC team with a good chance to challenge Kansas City.

Ravens have picked up some big injuries lately and the Raiders are unpredictable with decent talent all-around. Gut feeling still likes the Ravens more, but it's close enough that I'm shocked no one else is picking the Raiders, and I assumed you were trying to encourage hero picks.

That Green Bay was a complete dumpster fire and Texans weren't are the real oddities of week 1 for me.

Yes, the Raiders pulling off a win would be odd. The hero picks are encouraged by the rules, not my personal feelings on any particular game. Given that I have an 8-7 record for week 1 so far, me having doubts about the Raiders shouldn't discourage you anyway.

By the way, Steelers vs. Bills isn't what I'd call an oddity. Sure, the Bills were the favorites, but it's not like a Steelers win could have only happened in a parallel universe where Big Ben is ten years younger.

What I am seeing is a week 1 where many participants of the prediction league are struggling (not going 10-6 or better), that's why it's fair to talk about a bunch of odd results. Last year's week 1 was without a doubt more predictable, hence the better results in the prediction league.

WHAT A GAME

...Short by inches. Good lord, not over yet. What drama.