By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Minecraft just topped 238 million sales. Lifetime sales expectations?

Lifetime sales expectations?

300M 3 16.67%

350M 1 5.56%

400M 1 5.56%

450M 2 11.11%

500M 6 33.33%

550M 0 0%

600M 1 5.56%

More than 600M 4 22.22%

Total:18

so almost 200m sales since Microsoft bought them. Easily made back the $2.5bn in software sales alone. On top of that the billions and billions in revenue from in-game stuff, merch and other Minecraft games.

Around the Network

It just keeps selling. And there are some who have bought it two times or more. PS5 and Xbox Series S/X may be backwards compatible, but we might even get 9th generation versions of Minecraft at some point. They might even be available as a physical release, especially for Japan.

I think it's going to hit 600 million or more before virtually no one buys it anymore.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

To be clear, the average age of Minecraft players is not (necessarily) indicative of who is playing the game the most. I know lots of kids the sink lots of hours into the game. I know adults that play too, but most dono olay even a small fraction of the time the kids do. That's anecdotal evidence, obviously. But, it passes the smell test.

konnichiwa said:

I bought it in 2011 never 'had' to rebuy it :).

Obviously if you have it on PC, you wouldn't need to rebuy it unless you wanted it on different digital stores which would be absolutely silly.

But if you bought it on Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Wii U/New 3DS/Pocket Edition... Chances are if you loved the game you would have re-bought it on Playstation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch.

And often... If you own more than one platform... I.E. Switch, MacOS, PC, Xbox, Playstation you might have double dipped.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
konnichiwa said:

I bought it in 2011 never 'had' to rebuy it :).

Obviously if you have it on PC, you wouldn't need to rebuy it unless you wanted it on different digital stores which would be absolutely silly.

But if you bought it on Xbox 360/Playstation 3/Wii U/New 3DS/Pocket Edition... Chances are if you loved the game you would have re-bought it on Playstation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch.

And often... If you own more than one platform... I.E. Switch, MacOS, PC, Xbox, Playstation you might have double dipped.

Not silly at all.

Only the Win 10 version officially supports VR and RTX. Even more important, only the Win 10 version can be used for crossplay with other platforms.

Therefore, it's perfectly fine to own two versions on PC.

Around the Network

This is one of those games without a sales limit. It will keep selling indefinitely.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Not suprised. I still play the game and currently playing it. Got a massive realm called jacinda!

Barozi said:
Pemalite said:

Not silly at all.

Only the Win 10 version officially supports VR and RTX. Even more important, only the Win 10 version can be used for crossplay with other platforms.

As far as I know... And how it was with me, I got a free license transferal from my old Java edition to the Windows store edition.

To be far... I had been playing Java since the classic days in and around 2009~ before it got "big".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Barozi said:

Not silly at all.

As far as I know... And how it was with me, I got a free license transferal from my old Java edition to the Windows store edition.

To be far... I had been playing Java since the classic days in and around 2009~ before it got "big".

yes that was possible in case you bought the Java Edition before October 2018.

But owners of the Xbox One Edition were also eligible to get the Bedrock Edition for free.