By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Skyward Sword HD worth $60?

Tagged games:

Has Skyward Sword HD been worth $60?

Yes 23 38.33%

No 33 55.00%

I'm not going to bother to find out 4 6.67%

Total:60

I never played it on the Wii, though I could see myself eventually picking it up a few years down the line when it's happens to go on sale. It looks like a fun game. Considering it's just an HD port of a Wii game, granted with plenty of work going into mapping motion controls to button/stick controls and a few small QoL changes, I'd say my instinct is to say it should probably be $50 and drop to $40 within a year. But this is Nintendo so it'll be $60 forever or until Nintendo does the Nintendo Selects discounted games late in the Switch's life.

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:
mZuzek said:

I won't disagree that the quality and quantity of content are worth full price, but the truth of it is that this is a 10 year old game being released at a higher price than it sold for originally. I'm not even the kind of guy who thinks games must always go down in price over time, that's kind of a silly concept, but come on. This really should be selling for less. $40 would be fine. $50 would be tolerable. But $60 is just wrong.

Also I don't think the relatively low sales of the original are due to motion controls as that was the main reason Wii and its games sold by the dozens of millions. It was just released too late, at a time when the console was already fading in popularity, and if somehow the Zelda name would attract any casuals, they already had a cheaper game to go for (Twilight Princess also didn't do much compared to its install base).

As for your time with it, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Skyward Sword definitely gets a lot of unwarranted hate, even now. I thought we were past the days when people thought linearity in games is inherently a bad thing, but it turns out that is still the case. In my opinion it's easily one of the best Zelda games, personally it's my favorite. And I would disagree on Ancient Cistern being the best dungeon, although it is very good, the best one is yet to come.

Bolded I think Nintendo knows it'll sell like Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze etc. Even I Bought New Super Mario Bros U deluxe at 60$ :(

Agreed. But DK tropical Freeze is an excellent platformer, NSBU is an okish platformer. Skyward Sword it´s a polemical version of 3d Zelda. 

I don't like the game. Wouldn't pay more than 15 USD on it

If you have to really ponder that question to yourself for any game, the answer is probably (but not always) no.

I know that the OP's thread title is a rhetorical question, but I'm just speaking generally.

Agente42 said:

No. 

aonuma Style, go away!

Play BoTW and wait Aonuma crazyness don´t ruined BoTw2

I know this is a joke, but Aonuma is producer of Skyward Sword and BotW and Fujibayashi is director of both.

Around the Network

Yes

1doesnotsimply

Kakadu18 said:
Agente42 said:

No. 

aonuma Style, go away!

Play BoTW and wait Aonuma crazyness don´t ruined BoTw2

I know this is a joke, but Aonuma is producer of Skyward Sword and BotW and Fujibayashi is director of both.

for Fujibayashi it is. But since Aonuma is the director of the Zelda series, the series goes to more puzzles and less exploration/skilled action. The culmination of this is SS. After SS, Fujibayashi and other staff of Zelda Series, not Aonuma, came with an idea back to the roots of the series. The barebones project of Botw is a The Legend of Zelda classic with overworld effects and alterations.  

They make the prototype and after this approach Aonuma. Aonuma's influence in BotW is minimal, shrines and divine beasts. The exploration/systemic game is not Aonuma´s idea.

No, as a perverted wise man once said:

"$40 at best. The textures looks like upscaled dolphin and there's some QoL changes. The game itself might be fun enough but the port is certainly not worth the asking price. They did a pretty lazy job imo."

If they had included 2 - 4 other Zelda games (Windwaker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Ocarina of Time HD, Majora's Mask HD), I would have paid $60 - $70 for that "Zelda 3D All-Stars" collection.

Skyward Sword HD without additions shouldn't cost more than $30.

mZuzek said:
Agente42 said:

Agreed. But DK tropical Freeze is an excellent platformer, NSBU is an okish platformer. Skyward Sword it´s a polemical version of 3d Zelda. 

It's not about how good the games are. Tropical Freeze also released at $50 and is one of the most bullshit Switch re-releases, in not only being more expensive than the original at launch, but three times the price of the Nintendo Selects version that was on the Wii U until they removed it because they didn't want the 5 people who would buy it on the Wii U to cannibalize the Switch version's sales.

Skyward Sword also releasing at a higher price than launch is unacceptable. Again, not about the game's quality. The game is undeniably large with a boatload of content and lots of incredibly well-crafted dungeons and puzzles, high quality orchestral music, boss fights, polish, graphically, everything about the game is high quality. If you don't like the content it had, that's on you. Lots of people love it. But it shouldn't have been priced at $60.

New Super Mario Bros. U, funny enough, is the most acceptable one here because at least it's priced the same as it was originally, instead of having a price raise (price raise, there's something you won't read in any gaming discussion unrelated to Nintendo). But for the quality of content you get, it should've never been priced that high to begin with.

Agreed with all this. NSMBU at least also had the Luigi version of the game as well. It most reasonably should have been $60. Skyward Sword should have at most been $50 given that it's a Wii game but they did put a bunch of work into it to change all the controls and add a few QoL changes. DK should have been $40 at most. Or really, Nintendo should have a policy that HD ports of Wii games or Wii U games should be $50 at launch because people will buy at launch, and then drop to $40 a few months later once sales slow down. It makes no sense that ports/remasters/remakes that the market clearly says should be $30-$40 Nintendo just keeps at $60 forever despite sales dying off soon after release. Like, millions of more people would buy these games, and Nintendo would make more money, a win-win, if they would drop these old ported games to reasonable prices once their sales die off.