By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Skyward Sword HD worth $60?

Tagged games:

Has Skyward Sword HD been worth $60?

Yes 23 38.33%

No 33 55.00%

I'm not going to bother to find out 4 6.67%

Total:60
Leynos said:
Link_Nines.XBC said:

The public said YES!

And this is not the only chart it topped but it's the biggest market.

Because as often the case people reward mediocrity and want the same shit over and over. Neo The World Ends With You is better than some of games on that list and feels very fresh. Def better than SS. People rarely want imaginative and new. They want more of the same as always.

Most people weren't even aware of NEO TWEWY and maybe most people like SS more than you do.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

$60 in 1996 would be $104 today roughly. Many games were sold for more than $60 in 1996, some as high as $75-80 each in USA. So, $60 today would be at most $35 in 1996. Just for context.

To be fair though, our pricing expectations have also changed.. You wouldn't get away with selling a game at $104 USD today.

A game release also doesn't exist in a vacuum... They need to release with competition in mind... So you can't go silly with pricing.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a remaster done right, with the right price... And it included THREE games that helped defined the Xbox 360 and the Sci-Fi RPG genre, not just one... Compared to that? Skyward Sword is overpriced and under-featured.

Of course, I bought it anyway... But I will grumble about the Nintendo tax.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well, the original game on Wii was 50$, but you also needed to buy either the motion+ accessory or a new wiimote with motion plus inside in order to play it.
So, a minimum of 70$. Unless you have already spent 20$ on an accessory or even more on a new controller.
Now is 60$.

Value is always relative to the buyer. But in this case, I would say it depends on whether or not you like Zelda and whether or not you have played the game before. If you've played it before, then doubling dipping at a price that is actually higher than the one you paid for the original is probably a bit much. If you haven't, however, then I don't think many people would mind because for them, this might as well be a brand new Zelda game.

Pemalite said:
Dulfite said:

$60 in 1996 would be $104 today roughly. Many games were sold for more than $60 in 1996, some as high as $75-80 each in USA. So, $60 today would be at most $35 in 1996. Just for context.

To be fair though, our pricing expectations have also changed.. You wouldn't get away with selling a game at $104 USD today.

A game release also doesn't exist in a vacuum... They need to release with competition in mind... So you can't go silly with pricing.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition is a remaster done right, with the right price... And it included THREE games that helped defined the Xbox 360 and the Sci-Fi RPG genre, not just one... Compared to that? Skyward Sword is overpriced and under-featured.

Of course, I bought it anyway... But I will grumble about the Nintendo tax.

People who cite inflation always forget about value-perception. When people think of new, physical games, they think of fifty or sixty dollars. It's an intrenched, psychological value that's been around for twenty years and has nothing to do with the relation between the price of a new game and their personal income. 

Last edited by JackHandy - on 16 August 2021

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:

Well, the original game on Wii was 50$, but you also needed to buy either the motion+ accessory or a new wiimote with motion plus inside in order to play it.
So, a minimum of 70$. Unless you have already spent 20$ on an accessory or even more on a new controller.
Now is 60$.

Well, the original game on Wii was $50, but you also needed to buy the motion+ accessory for $20 and a Wii console for $150 to play it (official price in 2011): https://methodshop.com/nintendo-drops-wii-price/
So, a minimum of $220.

The remaster on Switch is $60, but you also need to buy the Switch console for $300 to play it (still no official price cut).
So, a minimum of $360.

Or you play it on a Switch Lite... but for motion control you need a pair of JoyCons then. So $60 for the game + $60 for the joycons + $200 for the Switch Lite handheld (still no official price cut).
So, a minimum of $320.