By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Steam Deck 1 vs. Switch 2 - Which will be better?

Which will be a better overall device?

Steam Deck 1 11 28.21%

Switch 2 26 66.67%

I'm waiting for Steam Deck 2 0 0%

I'm waiting for Switch 3 2 5.13%

Total:39

So we already know Steam Deck specs and I'd like to see what you all think Switch 2 specs will look like. This is NOT a thread for comparing hypothetical Switch Pro or the real Switch OLED to Switch Deck. I'm talking about Nintendo's true next gen upgrade. Many of the rumors out there about Switch Pro could have been actually about Switch 2, so I'm including one of those beefier rumors as my prediction of what we can expect for Switch 2, but you certainly don't have to do so. What do you guys think specs will be for Switch 2 and which do you think will be a better device regardless of software?

Sources https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech
https://www.pocket-lint.com/games/news/nintendo/146899-nintendo-switch-2-release-date-specs-games
https://gamepedia.jp/archives/59732

My predictions (so far):

Steam Deck Switch 2
Resolution 1280x800 720p?
Screen Type LCD OLED
Display Size 7" 7"
GFlops 448 CPU/1.6 TFlops GPU
DLSS enhanced, who knows?
RAM 16GB DDR5 8GB
Internal Storage 64Gb+ 128GB
Brightness 400 nits typical
Refresh Rate 60Hz
Touch Yes Yes
Sensors Ambient light Ambient light
Bluetooth 5
Wi-Fi Dual band, 2.4-5GHz
Audio Jack yes yes
Power Supply 45w Type C/8Hour gameplay
microSD yes yes
Display port usb-c/Dock dock
TV resolution 8k@60Hz or 4k@120Hz
1440K/upscaled to 4k@120Hz
USB 3.2 gen 2
HDMI/Displayport HDMI 2/DisplayPort 1.4

Copy/Paste the below table to fill out:

Steam Deck Switch 2
Resolution 1280x800
Screen Type LCD
Display Size 7"
GFlops 448 CPU/1.6 TFlops GPU
RAM 16GB DDR5
Internal Storage 64Gb+
Brightness 400 nits typical
Refresh Rate 60Hz
Touch Yes
Sensors Ambient light
Bluetooth 5
Wi-Fi Dual band, 2.4-5GHz
Audio Jack yes
Power Supply 45w Type C/8Hour gameplay
microSD yes
Display port usb-c/Dock
TV resolution 8k@60Hz or 4k@120Hz
USB 3.2 gen 2
HDMI/Displayport HDMI 2/DisplayPort 1.4

Around the Network

If the Switch 2 is based on Lovelace and Nintendo didn't make any dumb decisions to cut out potentially good features in favor gimmicks, the Switch 2 should absolutely beat the Steam Deck imo. The rumored performance jump between Ampere to Lovelace is supposed to be massive and that should trickle down to the lower end parts as well to a certain extent.

But if the first Steam Deck is successful, I am sure Valve will make a second iteration by the time Switch 2 comes out similar to how Valve has a successor to the Vive VR headset called the Valve Index.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

The Switch is simple, it is fast, is flexible and it works.

Steam Deck is the secondary device for hardcore PC gamers, not more, not less. 

Steam Deck will not compete with the Switch. None of them will 'be better'. They cannot be compared that way. Specs simply do not matter.

Captain_Yuri said:

If the Switch 2 is based on Lovelace and Nintendo didn't make any dumb decisions to cut out potentially good features in favor gimmicks, the Switch 2 should absolutely beat the Steam Deck imo. The rumored performance jump between Ampere to Lovelace is supposed to be massive and that should trickle down to the lower end parts as well to a certain extent.

But if the first Steam Deck is successful, I am sure Valve will make a second iteration by the time Switch 2 comes out similar to how Valve has a successor to the Vive VR headset called the Valve Index.

Yeah I'm thinking Valve will release updated models way more frequently than a traditional console does, rather than new iterations that stick to the same capabilities. I'm thinking every 2 ish years we will get an updated Steam Deck? Just my prediction. Then again if they truly sell like crazy then Valve may stick to a traditional 6 year life and we may wait until 2027/2028 before we get Steam Deck 2, which means the Switch 2 will have been the best device on the market for a few years (if, when it launches, it is more powerful than Steam Deck 1).

holzi said:

The Switch is simple, it is fast, is flexible and it works.

Steam Deck is the secondary device for hardcore PC gamers, not more, not less. 

Steam Deck will not compete with the Switch. None of them will 'be better'. They cannot be compared that way. Specs simply do not matter.

The whole purpose of this thread, and I thought this was obvious, was to compare specs. I'm completely aware of both of these being targeted towards difference audiences and I think Switch 2 will be successful regardless of how Steam Deck does, but I still thought it would be fun to compare Deck 1 specs with hypothetical Switch 2 specs.

Around the Network

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM. So that of course is already one way the Steam Deck will be superior. Switch 2 will probably have 8 GB RAM, maybe 10 GB (like the Xbox Series S). Switch 2 will probably have a slightly faster CPU and slightly better GPU.

The resolution will probably be pretty comparable. I do see Nintendo going above 720p, but not sure if they will go for 1080p. Switch 2 will probably have a 800p or 900p screen.

Overall in terms of horsepower, Switch 2 will probably be a superior device. That will be even more likely if it doesn't release until 2024 or 2025.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Dulfite said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah I'm thinking Valve will release updated models way more frequently than a traditional console does, rather than new iterations that stick to the same capabilities. I'm thinking every 2 ish years we will get an updated Steam Deck? Just my prediction. Then again if they truly sell like crazy then Valve may stick to a traditional 6 year life and we may wait until 2027/2028 before we get Steam Deck 2, which means the Switch 2 will have been the best device on the market for a few years (if, when it launches, it is more powerful than Steam Deck 1).

Yea 2-3 years sounds about right. I think even if the Steam Deck sells crazy high, Valve will most likely release a new revision with every new GPU cycle which happens every 2 or so years. For better or for worse, Valve isn't limited in needing to sell a base version that developers can target their games around. That does mean the Switch 2 will age better than Steam Deck 1. But Steam Deck will still have the advantages of being a PC where you can tweak graphical settings and enabling mods to help it run games that say 3-5 years down the line, certain AAA games might be too much.

But since it's a first gen device, no one should be going into it expecting long term viability. That type of a person, if interested in a device like the Steam Deck, should wait for the second iteration if that ever happens as that will age far better.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM.

Why not?

Steamdeck is rocking :
CPU: 4c 8t Zen2 @ 3,5 ghz
GPU: 1,64 Tflop RDNA2
Ram: 16GB LPDDR5 (88 GB/s memory bandwidth)

Thats pretty solid by todays standards.
Remember the Switch is like 197 Gflops to 240 Gflops, in handheld mode.
This things GPU is 7 times faster than the Switchs.

I think Nintendo "could" offer just as much as this, with a Switch 2.
Hopefully they have nvidia working on makeing the chip already, and now they have a goal to aim for (beating the Steamdeck in hardware).

Wman1996 said:

Well, there's virtually no way Switch 2 will have 16 GB RAM. So that of course is already one way the Steam Deck will be superior. Switch 2 will probably have 8 GB RAM, maybe 10 GB (like the Xbox Series S). Switch 2 will probably have a slightly faster CPU and slightly better GPU.

The resolution will probably be pretty comparable. I do see Nintendo going above 720p, but not sure if they will go for 1080p. Switch 2 will probably have a 800p or 900p screen.

Overall in terms of horsepower, Switch 2 will probably be a superior device. That will be even more likely if it doesn't release until 2024 or 2025.

Does Nvidia have a arm cpu, able to do that?
Does anyone? even apple with their new "M1" chip, Arm cpu's cores, are weaker no?

Zen 2 cores at 3,5ghz are pretty strong for a handheld device.

GPU is the only area I can see, the Switch 2, really winning.
Nvidia could make a ~1,6 Tflop mobile chip in this power package, and due to DLSS 2.1, they would beat out the performance (visually atleast), of this steamdeck.

Also yeah...  2023-2024 is likely when we'll see a new Switch 2 model.

holzi said:

Specs simply do not matter.

There is truth to this as well.
Maybe Nintendo are complacent enough to not really care, about other handheld devices or phones on the market.
And are fine, even if their at the bottom of the barrel, in terms of hardware.