By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The struggle of setting up my PS5

Conina said:
Rafie said:

Finally was able to procure a PS5 through Sony's invitation. It arrives Friday. Can't wait to experience everything you've covered. Oh and I have to go and buy a 4K tv now.

TL;DR:

If you want to transfer user data from PS4 to PS5: connect them with an ethernet cable directly... it can save you hours.

If you connect it to your new TV: be sure you are in game mode

Good looking out. I will for sure do it that way.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

IT's always so strange to hear all of this talk about how long it takes to set up a console anymore. I'm not sure if maybe I'm living in a fantasy land but hooking up my PS5 to my 4K TV took me like half an hour, tops. there was a bit of concern with the external hard drive for the first few months (it kept stuttering and freezing), but actual PS5 games were basically instant, and there were never any problems with any of the display features or details. I found it stunningly easy to handle. Again, the only issue I've regularly had with it was when I was trying to use a 4TB USB Passport hard drive instead of one of those ones you actually plug into the wall with its own power adapter. Ever since then, the console has basically been perfect.

That said, Astro's Playroom is an absolute gem of a game and everyone who gets a PS5 needs to play it, first.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Some of those issues suck, for sure.

I'm going to keep my PS4 Pro when I get a PS5. I'm also going to get new hard drives exclusively for use on the PS5. Any PS4 titles I want to play on PS5 I'll just download to storage on the PS5 (internal) instead of transferring.

Fingers crossed by the time I get a PS5 (probably 2023) Sony will have the no-brainer feature of expanding SSD storage that Microsoft has had since the launch of the Xbox Series S/X.

As others have said, the days of hooking up a console for the first time and jumping in within seconds are gone for good. That pretty much died with the Wii U, and then the Xbox One.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Today my first PS5 retail games finally arrived!

• Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (download code)

I paid €146 in total for these.

The digital PSN-versions of these four games would have costed €230 in total, so €84 more:

That brings down the price advantage of the “PS5 Digital” down from €100 to €16. Just another retail game cheaper than the digital version and the UHD-drive has paid for itself.

Currently I'm installing the three game discs and downloading their updates + Sider-Man Remastered in the background.

The PS5 versions of A Plage Tale, Destiny 2 and Hitman 3 (Starter Pack) already had to go, since I needed the SSD space for the new games. But these three games run even better on my PC, so it's okay. I downloaded the PS5 version of Destiny 2 mainly to check if the 120-Hz-mode works.

Spoiler!
It does!

P. S.: cute free R&C costumes for the Sackboy game... nice!

Last edited by Conina - on 20 July 2021

Certainly sounds like a pain so far. I sold my ps4 + couple games and I don't use external hard drive so my experience with my ps5 has been good so far. The look of it still hasn't grown on me and the absence of a number of HDMI 2.1 features like VRR is very annoying. Some of the backwards compatibility quirks are also weird like with the save transfer that you have to do between the FFVIIR ps4 version to the FFVIIR ps5 version.

Also the DS battery is quite short. Least the console is blazing fast and mine is pretty quiet... Outside of the Disk Drive that sounds horrific.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Okay, all is set up.

Greatness awaits!

Runa216 said:

IT's always so strange to hear all of this talk about how long it takes to set up a console anymore. I'm not sure if maybe I'm living in a fantasy land but hooking up my PS5 to my 4K TV took me like half an hour, tops. there was a bit of concern with the external hard drive for the first few months (it kept stuttering and freezing), but actual PS5 games were basically instant, and there were never any problems with any of the display features or details. I found it stunningly easy to handle. Again, the only issue I've regularly had with it was when I was trying to use a 4TB USB Passport hard drive instead of one of those ones you actually plug into the wall with its own power adapter. Ever since then, the console has basically been perfect.

That said, Astro's Playroom is an absolute gem of a game and everyone who gets a PS5 needs to play it, first.

from OP "Connecting the cables (USB-C for controller, HDMI2.1, power, ethernet,): took only a minute, everything works okay. To enable 4K 120 Hz HDR Adaptive Sync (for supported games) it is directly connected to my TV, the audio signals are sent via eARC to my amplifier."

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Yea I just found it quicker to redownload what I wanted. Games download much quicker.

kirby007 said:
Runa216 said:

from OP "Connecting the cables (USB-C for controller, HDMI2.1, power, ethernet,): took only a minute, everything works okay. To enable 4K 120 Hz HDR Adaptive Sync (for supported games) it is directly connected to my TV, the audio signals are sent via eARC to my amplifier."

I guess it's the move to digital that prompts all this transferring, external HDDs, pre-installing tons of games. I have a bunch of physical games at the ready for when I find a ps5. I'll just hook it up, put in a game and play. I can only play one game at a time, play one while the next is downloading, or simply pop in the next disc.

The only time it took forever to get going was I think the WiiU which needed a 2 hour day one patch before you could use the system. Hopefully there aren't too many, long stability updates by the time I get one!

Congrats on your new system.

I didn't bother transferring anything from PS4Pro to PS5 because I was aware of the wait. I just redownloaded from the cloud before playing that particular game when the desire arose.

4 ≈ One