By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your favorite feel good games?

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker!!!

Around the Network

Ori and the Will of the Wisps was that for me until I started speedrunning it. But I don't think I've ever had a specific "feel-good" game to turn on when in need, as no single game really fits all moods. I suppose the closest thing in that regard for me would be the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. But in terms of games, some that come to mind are, uhhh...

- Okami. Unfortunately I can't just randomly boot this one up if I'm not committing to a full playthrough, but it always succeeds at making me feel (a lot) better. It's not my favorite game without a reason.

- Both Ori games. They have their depressing moments, but for the most part, just happy beautiful games. Speedrunning changed WotW for me, but still.

- Most Pokémon games. For me I'd say Gold/Silver and X/Y as my favorite feel-good ones. But I'm not always in a Pokémon mood.

- Zelda... hasn't really been this for me for a while, but still, most Zelda games apply.

Lately one game that has definitely been a feel good time is Biomutant, and for a while it was really nice, but after 40+ hours I'm struggling to find motivation to get back to it and finish it. Think the game has run its course, unfortunately. But what has kept me going back to it is the feel good factor for sure.

TallSilhouette said:

I might have to agree with the Civ series. Come back a couple times a year to lose myself in a campaign or two. That sense of discovery and planning in the early and midgame are hard to beat, though the late game can drag a bit.

I certainly need to play it again.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

I have different games for different moods. 

I have my nostalgia based feel good games (Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World). I play and beat these games at least once every year. They've just been there for me since I was a kid so it kinda just makes me feel at ease. Some other examples are Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, and the recently rereleased Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Then I have my humor based games that uplift my spirit. Even if most of the jokes are cheesy, I still love going back to these games after a long time when I am feeling down and need a pick me up. (Ratchet and Clank series, Psychonauts, Borderlands 2, Portal 1+2, Super Mario RPG, Donut County, Katamari Damacy. Also, Paper Mario: The Origami King has been good for that as well. )

When I am stressed, I like games with superpowers in somewhat sandbox areas (Control, Spider-Man, inFamous, Crackdown). 

The last category used to make me feel good back in the day but now I don't really get too into them. They are the time sink games. Stuff like Minecraft and The Sims, that I would just sit there hours upon hours. I get frustrated because I just keep playing the games and don't really want to socialize afterward. The most recent example was Animal Crossing. But because I would generally actually play with people on that, I wouldn't get as cranky. 

Sad that you can't play Deus Ex anymore, that's a bummer. I have a version on the PS3, maybe you could go for that?

I have played it too many times.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy Tactics!

Mario Kart 8. Racing games in general have always been relaxing to me as long as I don't play in the highest difficulty.
Age of Empires II, though I haven't played it in a while.

I feel like the Bayonetta games can be really feel good if you're into hack n' slash.

Link_Nines.XBC said:

Mario Kart 8. Racing games in general have always been relaxing to me as long as I don't play in the highest difficulty.
Age of Empires II, though I haven't played it in a while.

There's pre-blue-shell Mario Kart and post-blue-shell Mario Kart. One is fairly relaxing. The other is like being blindfolded and tied to a chair without any shoes while hungry rats scurry about the floor. You may end up keeping your toes...

While not quite as good as Kirby's Epic Yarn, Yoshi's Woolly World and Yoshi's Crafted World from the same developer are also quite cosy and mellow.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker!!!

I second this, brilliantly whimsical, charming, and elegantly constructed little game.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 July 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.