By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your favorite feel good games?

Well, yesterday I recieved my second Covid shot and, as expected, today I'm sick at home with fever and aching limbs. Wasn't able to sleep all night, don't know why but somehow my brain just refused to send me to the Dream World. So I guess I'll be on the couch all day. What better time than now to play awesome video games! I'm going to make myself real comfortable with a lot of tea and snacks, but what to play? I have a hard time deciding how I want to spend my free time now. I want to play games that really make me feel good and cozy. First thing that comes to mind are the Zelda games, all of them. I think I'm gonna start with A Link to the Past. From the first time I played that as a kid to this very day I still love that game so much.

Or maybe a little bit of strategy game where I can truly invest a big chunk of time into, like Sim City on the SNES, that one is so relaxed and chill. I have Civilization 6, but unfortunately after trying to like it twice I'm sorry to say that it just doesn't click with me. Or maybe I'll start the Black Eagle campaign in Fire Emblem Three Houses. I finished the other two already, so that one is left and I think this is going to be the most interesting one.

I also enjoy many classic RPGs like Final Fantasy IV which I am currently playing peu à peu. Someone in the Final Fantasy thread suggested it because it's quite short and easy, so I am doing that every now and then. The last time I did that was more than ten years ago I guess, it feels quite nice again.

Now what do you play when you want to have it cozy? Maybe you have certain games that you can play over and over again, or that you have some sweet memories with. Please share, let's have a good time and enjoy our common hobby.

Around the Network

Sorry about your crummy covid shot feeling. I recently fell back into gaming and am looking at what games still have a spark for me.

I’m really enjoying AMR2 (Another Metroid Remake 2) and I figured out a way to make Halo Combat Evolved into a VR game. These two games are my feel good games, they make me feel great.

I decided I’ll try Symphony of the night next, and Half Life 2. I never played these, but on paper they fit what I like. I finally got Red Dead 2 to work on my phenom processor, so I will dabble in that as well.

That’s going to keep me busy for the summer! Happy gaming!

I find that anything from my childhood hits the spot when it comes to "feel-good" games. Doesn't matter how bad the day is going. If I pop one of those games into a retro console, I'm instantly transported back to a better time. It's some of the best medicine there is.

snyps said:

Sorry about your crummy covid shot feeling. I recently fell back into gaming and am looking at what games still have a spark for me.

I’m really enjoying AMR2 (Another Metroid Remake 2) and I figured out a way to make Halo Combat Evolved into a VR game. These two games are my feel good games, they make me feel great.

I decided I’ll try Symphony of the night next, and Half Life 2. I never played these, but on paper they fit what I like. I finally got Red Dead 2 to work on my phenom processor, so I will dabble in that as well.

Thank you, I appreciate!

I've heard so many good things about AMR2, I think it really is a great game. How do you do that with Halo? That's interesting, I can't imagine. Symphony of the Night is awesome,  love it. A couple of months ago I was doing a little Castlevania marathon and SotN was one of the highlights. Right now I am playing the PS2 classic Castlevania Lament of Innocence haha!

JackHandy said:

I find that anything from my childhood hits the spot when it comes to "feel-good" games. Doesn't matter how bad the day is going. If I pop one of those games into a retro console, I'm instantly transported back to a better time. It's some of the best medicine there is.

That's so true! Retro gaming is somehow like travelling in a time machine, isn't it. And which games do you pop in?

GoOnKid said:
snyps said:

Thank you, I appreciate!

I've heard so many good things about AMR2, I think it really is a great game. How do you do that with Halo? That's interesting, I can't imagine. Symphony of the Night is awesome,  love it. A couple of months ago I was doing a little Castlevania marathon and SotN was one of the highlights. Right now I am playing the PS2 classic Castlevania Lament of Innocence haha!

JackHandy said:

That's so true! Retro gaming is somehow like travelling in a time machine, isn't it. And which games do you pop in?

It really is true!

For me, there's tons of games that I can turn to when I'm in need of some comfort, but usually I'll turn to something in the 8 and 16 bit category over something 3D, simply because they are easier to jump in and out of. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a good one. Another is Contra. Ninja Gaiden. Any of the first Mega Man's is always a sure bet. Sometimes, if I'm really in the mood, I'll even pop in SM64, OOT or the first Banjo... but that is a rarity. 

But anyway, that's my advice. Go with something from your youth. It's always good for what ails ya! 

Around the Network
dx11332sega said:

My hobby sort - of stresses me , My feel good games are when I'm at the very top of the leaderboards preferably Sonic games. Maybe making combo content? Online gaming is really awful when you beat someone online they call me many names.

I have high respect for people who play on a competitive level like you, I would never have the patience and discipline to do that.

JackHandy said:
GoOnKid said:

Thank you, I appreciate!

JackHandy said:

It really is true!

For me, there's tons of games that I can turn to when I'm in need of some comfort, but usually I'll turn to something in the 8 and 16 bit category over something 3D, simply because they are easier to jump in and out of. Super Mario Bros. 3 is a good one. Another is Contra. Ninja Gaiden. Any of the first Mega Man's is always a sure bet. Sometimes, if I'm really in the mood, I'll even pop in SM64, OOT or the first Banjo... but that is a rarity. 

But anyway, that's my advice. Go with something from your youth. It's always good for what ails ya! 

Those are all excelent games!

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The whole experience of it is like being wrapped up in a warm, soft blanket drinking a mug of hot cocoa.

From its gentle difficulty and leisurely pace to its chill music and adorable visuals, it just overflows with that cosy, fuzzy feeling.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 July 2021

I mostly play the Switch at the moment, and out of the more recent games I'd say Spiritfarer really brings me calm and relaxation. No stress, no real dangers, just traversing this map helping people out.
And another fairly relaxing game is Figment, got it for next to nothing on a sale a couple of months ago. Really simple mechanics but it's so cozy walking around exploring that beautiful world full of whimsical characters and "children's books-visuals".

dan_banan said:

I mostly play the Switch at the moment, and out of the more recent games I'd say Spiritfarer really brings me calm and relaxation. No stress, no real dangers, just traversing this map helping people out.
And another fairly relaxing game is Figment, got it for next to nothing on a sale a couple of months ago. Really simple mechanics but it's so cozy walking around exploring that beautiful world full of whimsical characters and "children's books-visuals".

Spiritfarer is an excellent game and the gameplay is very relaxing and enjoyable, and it was the first game that come to my mind as well, but the core idea of the game can raise some existential feelings. I dont know how people would react to it, especially if they have lost someone close recently. 

curl-6 said:

Kirby's Epic Yarn.

The whole experience of it is like being wrapped up in a warm, soft blanket drinking a mug of hot cocoa.

From its gentle difficulty and leisurely pace to its chill music and adorable visuals, it just overflows with that cosy, fuzzy feeling.

Oh yeah, that's a great pick!

dan_banan said:

Nice, I don't know either of these. I might check out a video, thanks for the recommendations.