By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch OLED model just got announced.

tsogud said:
Cobretti2 said:

I personally feel that a mid gen upgrade would have been pointless because no one has ever been able to quantify what hardware it could use that would make it feel worth buying other the original console.  If anything it would have created a pain in the arse for those who have the original model as some games woudl not run on it well only for what maybe a 30% gain in performance on a mid gen upgrade? People keep spitting out DLSS 4K, cool but what hardware is available atm in small factor form that would achieve a true next gen 4K experience? It would be gimped at best upscaled to 4K.

I am glad they didn't do it because it now means whatever NVIDIA is developing in terms of CPU/GPU for Switch 2 has the potential to be a significant increase as new technology comes out. There is no reason than in 3 years time when the next console comes out that games cannot look close to PS5 level with DLSS support and better base hardware for 1080p

Some games already don't run well on it without a mid-gen upgrade... Nintendo published games to boot. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has performance problems and the resolution suffers, Age of Calamity is a mess both in performance and visual fidelity, even Bowser's Fury has frame rate dips (although it's very playable), Link's Awakening stutters and has frame rate dips as well as a lower resolution than expected. Some of these issues could just be issues of poor optimization but a lot are because of hardware limitations.

I primarily play portable only docked when playing Smash, Mario Kart, and Mario Party with family and friends so I don't care about 4K at all. I only want to be able to play Nintendo games at a stable performance and at least at a dynamic 720p but my original Switch can't even handle that. It's not an unreasonable request from Nintendo.

I don't expect a mid-gen hardware upgrade any time soon but judging by Nintendo's past with New 3ds, DSi and even GBA and GB it's highly likely it's going to happen and a lot of people, including me, will be glad to play Nintendo games at acceptable performances when/if it comes out.

I should have probably explained what I was implying better. People expected a significant jump i.e the 4K capable Switch Pro based on the rumours. I was happy that those rumours were not true as I cannot see what hardware currently available on the market that would fit inside a Switch case would achieve that without feeling gimped even with DLSS especially for a portable console. I would much rather see a real crack at fit for a next gen console so it is done properly.  A 3DS to new 3DS jump should have kind of been a given (i.e. reduce the fabrication from 20nm to 10nm to get a bit of extra out of the cpu), but looks like that did not happen.

Around the Network
ZyroXZ2 said:

If someone already said this, I apologize for not reading all 20 pages, but I recently tweeted this and wanted to say it here, too:

Wait, are Nintendo apologists proud of NOT expecting a more powerful Switch? Is your bar set so low that you expect virtually nothing and think that's a WIN?!

EDIT: I did NOT think the emoji was going to be that large on the copy-paste lmfao

EDIT2: Hold up, are emoji really THIS high-res this wholeass time?!?!

The entire premise of a more notably  powerful Switch was based off of Nintendo copying what Sony and MS did with the Pro and One X.  But when you stop and consider that Nintendo doesn't follow the strategies of the the other two, it should be no suprise that the rumors turned out to be...rumors.

So really, it has more to do with thinking logically instead of relying on rumors and getting caught up it hype than it does being an "apologist".  Especially when Nintendo's most successful devices have always been behind in power anyway, as is the case with Switch as well.

Now I am not saying it is wrong to desire a more powerful Switch, but to call someone an "apologist" for not getting their hopes up from rumors and remembering what company we are talking about is a bit much.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

mZuzek said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

Ohhhhh, you mean, like all console manufacturers, there will eventually be another, more powerful system?

Come on, man, you literally know that's not the point, here lol

In fact, let me change the frame of reference: the PS4 Slim released at the same price as the base PS4, the Xbox One S released at the same price as the base Xbox One.  If Nintendo was going to do a redesign/refresh, they could have simply replaced the normal Switch (or dropped the normal switch to $250 to slot this one at $300).

Instead, Nintendo fans have to defend this by saying, "well, it's got an OLED screen and it's for people who don't already own a Switch" in which a PSVita had an OLED 10 years ago so it's not "expensive" screen technology, it's 720p, and it's using hardware released in 2015.  The absolute MINIMUM logical choice was to price it as a replacement for the base Switch which would clearly follow in line with redesigns that have happened to other consoles as well.  You don't charge more if you aren't upgrading the core components that were already made in 2015 (two years prior to the release of the Switch itself), that's just pure greed and taking advantage of fan blind loyalty.

Why is it a matter of "defending" Nintendo? There is nothing to defend or attack here. They announced a new hardware revision that does not affect me or you or anyone. It has no effect. Wanna buy it, buy it. Don't want to, don't. I agree the price is too high but it does not matter to anyone because it doesn't change the price of the product that was already there.

Nintendo does a lot of anti-consumer shit, but this is absolutely not it.

Edit: what's funniest here to me is how your side of the argument, the "non-Nintendo apologists", is angry at the fact that Nintendo has not announced a product that'd make you give Nintendo money. Yet my side, who is apparently "Nintendo apologists", is happy that they've given me no reason to give them more money.

Therein lies the very issue with Nintendo (and Sony) fanbases: don't like it, don't buy it *then goes and buys it themselves*.  Maybe that's not YOU, or a smaller subset of more tech savvy people in gaming, but for some damned reason, it's always "it doesn't affect you".  Yes, yes it DOES affect me and all of us because it's basic supply and demand which includes pricing: if people are buying up the Switch OLED, it sends the message that Nintendo CAN do the bare minimum and still charge a premium.  What do you think happens if the Switch OLED sells well?  That Switch 2 is going to end up another overpriced, underperforming piece of hardware.  All because "it doesn't affect you", but it absolutely will.

This is the "a sucker is born every minute" sales approach, and I want people to NOT be that sucker.  Are YOU one of them?  Doesn't seem like it, and neither am I.  But is there a core message that Nintendo can sell weak hardware, market to casuals who are not tech savvy and do not understand, and sit back with their feet up on the table?  Absolutely.  That's the part that needs to change, and honestly, it's why Xbox is currently trying to work so hard.  When you are losing because people aren't buying your stuff, you start to think, "what am I doing wrong?".  Nintendo never figured that out from the Wii U, and instead targeted their OTHER large userbase: handhelds.  They've combined the two userbases into a larger one, but have not actually recognized that there is a "Wii" pattern going here, and the Switch 2 will end up another Wii U if suddenly we end up with a $500 Switch 2 barely doing 1TF outputting 1080p/60 as they all-too-late realize their lack of competitiveness is widdling away at the appeal of their hardware.  The Wii U had AMAZING games on it, but against the backdrop of the PS4 and Xbox One, it was vastly inferior (for $100 more, you could get a PS4 that was 5 times as powerful!).  The novelty of the Switch's handheld appeal will not carry the Switch 2, just like the novelty of the Wii's motion controls did not carry the Wii U.

They absolutely must understand why Sony and Microsoft sell their consoles at a loss for the first year (or two).  Aggressively priced, forward-thinking tech is why PlayStation quickly surpassed Nintendo.  Though it hasn't happened yet, Microsoft has grown their userbase substantially as well and at this rate, while Nintendo fans laugh at Xbox, they could end up surpassing Nintendo's core userbase as well.  I WANT Nintendo to be #1, I grew up on them, but they could end up #3 again like during the Wii U era, and possibly never crawl back out of the hole if Microsoft gets momentum and never lets up.  Nintendo needs to take that risk on the Switch 2, and come out swinging with one helluva handheld that's not priced for the uninitiated.  Otherwise, we'll just end up right back here with underpowered hardware for premium prices, saying "it's selling fine" without ever recognizing that WE are the problem and never seeing Nintendo be THE Nintendo we wish they were while watching Sony AND Microsoft steam ahead.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
Shiken said:
ZyroXZ2 said:

If someone already said this, I apologize for not reading all 20 pages, but I recently tweeted this and wanted to say it here, too:

Wait, are Nintendo apologists proud of NOT expecting a more powerful Switch? Is your bar set so low that you expect virtually nothing and think that's a WIN?!

EDIT: I did NOT think the emoji was going to be that large on the copy-paste lmfao

EDIT2: Hold up, are emoji really THIS high-res this wholeass time?!?!

The entire premise of a more notably  powerful Switch was based off of Nintendo copying what Sony and MS did with the Pro and One X.  But when you stop and consider that Nintendo doesn't follow the strategies of the the other two, it should be no suprise that the rumors turned out to be...rumors.

So really, it has more to do with thinking logically instead of relying on rumors and getting caught up it hype than it does being an "apologist".  Especially when Nintendo's most successful devices have always been behind in power anyway, as is the case with Switch as well.

Now I am not saying it is wrong to desire a more powerful Switch, but to call someone an "apologist" for not getting their hopes up from rumors and remembering what company we are talking about is a bit much.

I don't think that's a bit much at all, because I've seen (again, globally, y'all keep assuming I just mean here on VGChartz lol) tons of occasions where the people who expected nothing point and laugh saying, "see, that's what you get for having hopes and dreams!" as if somehow this whole thing is not Nintendo's fault.  It absolutely IS their fault for choosing already-dated hardware out the gate, people having hopes and dreams are the ones that want Nintendo to do better, and the apologists sit there happy with anything Nintendo does while being smug about it.  It's poisonous, honestly...  Accepting that Nintendo, the same people who brought us some of the most innovative games and hardware (I mean, come on, y'all know we owe controller vibration to the "Rumble Pak"), are not that Nintendo anymore should not be the "core" community.  That's... well, that's depressing, is it not?

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!
^^/
ZyroXZ2 said:
Shiken said:

I don't think that's a bit much at all, because I've seen (again, globally, y'all keep assuming I just mean here on VGChartz lol) tons of occasions where the people who expected nothing point and laugh saying, "see, that's what you get for having hopes and dreams!" as if somehow this whole thing is not Nintendo's fault.  It absolutely IS their fault for choosing already-dated hardware out the gate, people having hopes and dreams are the ones that want Nintendo to do better, and the apologists sit there happy with anything Nintendo does while being smug about it.  It's poisonous, honestly...  Accepting that Nintendo, the same people who brought us some of the most innovative games and hardware (I mean, come on, y'all know we owe controller vibration to the "Rumble Pak"), are not that Nintendo anymore should not be the "core" community.  That's... well, that's depressing, is it not?

Still waiting on Sony or MS to allow me to play my games portably and on a TV natively without the need of a second device or buying two versions of the same game.  It is the reason I got Fenix Rising on my Switch instead of my Series X as well as Outer Worlds on Switch over PS4 (waited for the patches).  It has never been about power for Nintendo, the last time that gave them true success was the SNES.  Doing better does not always equate to hardware power, which seems to be where some people fall short in understanding.

The way I see it, Nintendo gave us everything they promised.  If people want to listen to rumors and ignore the reality of the big picture, which is that none of this came from Nintendo, that is on the people who bought into it.  No one needs to apologize for a huge successful company like Nintendo, and just because they are happy with what Nintendo has been doing doesn't mean they are.

As for the examples of people gloating and being toxic elsewhere on the net, those are called trolls and many of them are not even Switch owners.  They just want to get a rise out of people, or take any shots at a company they don't like.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
Kwaidd said:

I'd be willing to sell my day 1 Switch and pay the diff for this one, even though I only play docked and have no broadband and there doesn't appear to be any internal hardware upgrades.

Color is sweet, imo

Well, technically you do get more internal memory.

ZyroXZ2 said:

Nintendo hasn't been about playing the graphics arms race in three generations, why would they start now? I am quite content with the power of my base Switch so I feel no need nor expectation for a midgen power upgrade.

IcaroRibeiro said:

OLED could easily be 300 USD and standard and Lite be lowered in price

Why on earth would any company in their right mind lower the price of a system that they can't even keep up with the demand for? 

Norion said:

Some responses I've seen do confuse me since I don't get being glad this isn't more powerful or chastising people feeling disappointed. Considering how poorly certain Switch games run not having to wait a minimum another two years to play them with resolution and/or frame rates that aren't bad would've been really nice for a lot of people.

Well, just personally, the reason I'm glad it's not a power upgrade is because I don't want devs having to optimize for more configurations or targeting the Pro model to mean that games are worse optimized for the base Switch I own, or just skip the base model altogether.

curl-6 said:

Why on earth would any company in their right mind lower the price of a system that they can't even keep up with the demand for? 

It was the standard modo operadis for Nintendo handhelds I think, they used to release an slightly updated version and then decreased the price of the more standard version. They did it even for DS in their peak and DS was selling over 30 million a year even more than Switch 

But this time my impression is they want to sell OLED as a premium version, you don't sell a perceveid more "premium" product with a standard price. They can still decrease Switch price anywhere in future anyways and make OLED 300 USD when they think it's the right time 

Edit: I think I also misunderstood Nintendo's strategy. I was sure they were going for a very long console lifestyle, 7 to 8 years and they were willing to make early adopters to purchase another version, of you sell a cheaper product you can keep new model sales high for years. But maybe Switch life won't be that big and they are satisfied with people buying only one copy, after all the true money is on software and people won't buy the same software twice just because they got a new Switch 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

It was the standard modo operadis for Nintendo handhelds I think, they used to release an slightly updated version and then decreased the price of the more standard version. They did it even for DS in their peak and DS was selling over 30 million a year even more than Switch 

But this time my impression is they want to sell OLED as a premium version, you don't sell a perceveid more "premium" product with a standard price. They can still decrease Switch price anywhere in future anyways and make OLED 300 USD when they think it's the right time 

Edit: I think I also misunderstood Nintendo's strategy. I was sure they were going for a very long console lifestyle, 7 to 8 years and they were willing to make early adopters to purchase another version, of you sell a cheaper product you can keep new model sales high for years. But maybe Switch life won't be that big and they are satisfied with people buying only one copy, after all the true money is on software and people won't buy the same software twice just because they got a new Switch 

Yeah I think Nintendo is treating the Switch somewhat differently from their past handhelds, as evidenced by them launching it at console price point. If people are still more than happy to buy 350-400k base Switches a week at $300 a pop more than four years after launch, Nintendo apparently figures a version with several improvements can do well at $50 more.

We'll see; maybe even once the OLED is out most people will still opt for the base model, just like most people still choose the base model over the Lite in spite of the latter being $100 cheaper.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 July 2021

BraLoD said:
Shaunodon said:

Switch is already the cheapest current-gen system, with by far the best library of games. No idea why it needs to be cheaper still, but this is obviously just relative to you and your subjective needs/wants.

Subjectively speaking for myself, someone could just hand me a PS5 right now, and I'd still be 50/50 on whether I'd want to clear the one spot on my media shelf it could actually fit comfortably, or if I'd just flog it off to a family member that would get more from it.

If only Sony could release a PS5 model that's more practical...

LOL, trying to bring Sony into a Nintendo thread to defend it seems like a common play right now.

It's ok, the Switch Oled being priced over a Series S makes complete sense, right? :D

Nintendo has really no reason to pursue better pricing policies indeed, some will defend everything they ever do instead of wanting them to do better.

I mean, you were the person who first mentioned the PS5 and pricing. Whichever thread you go to, Sony just seems to naturally follow.

I only pointed out that the price issues were all relative to you and your interests, and that relatively for me, a PS5 could be $500 or $1 and it wouldn't have much effect on my desire to get one right now.

Maybe you're concerned about the next Switch model (a Switch Pro is very unlikely) or Nintendo system being priced like a PS5, but there's no reason anyone should until we actually know what the system is or offers. The Xbox One X as a mid-gen upgrade was priced high but offered a substantial increase in performance compared to PS4 Pro, just for example.

But there's no reason to think Nintendo would try to enter the power race with the twins, or price their next system to match, so that was just a phantom concern made so you could arbitrarily mention the PS5 here, along with generic complaints about Nintendo's pricing and policies.

ZyroXZ2 said:
mZuzek said:

Why is it a matter of "defending" Nintendo? There is nothing to defend or attack here. They announced a new hardware revision that does not affect me or you or anyone. It has no effect. Wanna buy it, buy it. Don't want to, don't. I agree the price is too high but it does not matter to anyone because it doesn't change the price of the product that was already there.

Nintendo does a lot of anti-consumer shit, but this is absolutely not it.

Edit: what's funniest here to me is how your side of the argument, the "non-Nintendo apologists", is angry at the fact that Nintendo has not announced a product that'd make you give Nintendo money. Yet my side, who is apparently "Nintendo apologists", is happy that they've given me no reason to give them more money.

Therein lies the very issue with Nintendo (and Sony) fanbases: don't like it, don't buy it *then goes and buys it themselves*.  Maybe that's not YOU, or a smaller subset of more tech savvy people in gaming, but for some damned reason, it's always "it doesn't affect you".  Yes, yes it DOES affect me and all of us because it's basic supply and demand which includes pricing: if people are buying up the Switch OLED, it sends the message that Nintendo CAN do the bare minimum and still charge a premium.  What do you think happens if the Switch OLED sells well?  That Switch 2 is going to end up another overpriced, underperforming piece of hardware.  All because "it doesn't affect you", but it absolutely will.

I'm pretty sure most of the people you're arguing with here had already stated they're not buying one. For the record, neither am I.

If anything, a lot of the people in this thread have been glad they don't have to think about upgrading or buying new hardware. I'm somewhat in that camp, as after Xbox and PS failed to really sell me on their next-gen status at E3, I figured the only system I'd be tempted to upgrade to this year was a theoretical 'Switch 4k'.

curl-6 said:
Norion said:

Some responses I've seen do confuse me since I don't get being glad this isn't more powerful or chastising people feeling disappointed. Considering how poorly certain Switch games run not having to wait a minimum another two years to play them with resolution and/or frame rates that aren't bad would've been really nice for a lot of people.

Well, just personally, the reason I'm glad it's not a power upgrade is because I don't want devs having to optimize for more configurations or targeting the Pro model to mean that games are worse optimized for the base Switch I own, or just skip the base model altogether.

For exclusives I don't think that's something to be worried about too much since the New 3DS didn't get many exclusives though it is more of a concern than for the other two since they mandate that everything has to run on all versions. I could see a scenario where a more powerful model would get native ports of big games more often instead of a cloud version but games like that generally skip the Switch anyway due to how weak it is so it's not really a case of losing out. It's like how base 3DS owners weren't missing out when Minecraft wasn't playable on their 3DS version since it was too weak for it anyway.

For games potentially being worse optimized on the base Switch as a result I doubt that'd be a significant thing since the weaker models would make up the vast majority of Switch owners and I don't think late 8th gen games would've ran much better on the base PS4 and Xbox One if the Pro and X didn't exist.

In my view the benefits of it existing would outweigh any potential negatives like how the Pro and X existing was overall positive but I can understand wanting to avoid a feeling of being left out if there was no chance you'd buy a more powerful revision.