By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 13-19 - Switch Outsells PS3 - Switch Sells 375K, PS5 Sells 203K, XS Sells 140K

DaxIthR said:

Hello, until a few weeks ago, there was a spreadsheet that was posted in the weekly global numbers that compared NSW 21 with the best weekly global numbers to date of other hardware, like NSW 20, NDS 07, and NDS 08. Wondering why those were discontinued and if they can be found elsewhere. Thanks.

That was a user posting those, mk7sx I believe. Those charts were most likely discontinued as he got bored with them or just couldn't come to the website anymore (last login was close to a month ago). Apart form another person having made them and willing to share them, I don't believe you'll be able to find them elsewhere unless you would be willing to do them yourself.

Around the Network

Outselling even a single Playstation home console is a feat that only a single Nintendo home console (Wii) has ever accomplished before, and which Xbox hasn't managed to do in nearly 20 years on the market.

It feels almost surreal to think that there are now more Switches in out there in the world than there are PS3s or Xbox 360s, when those systems were out for so long and became so prevalent.

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Outselling even a single Playstation home console is a feat that only a single Nintendo home console (Wii) has ever accomplished before, and which Xbox hasn't managed to do in nearly 20 years on the market.

It feels almost surreal to think that there are now more Switches in out there in the world than there are PS3s or Xbox 360s, when those systems were out for so long and became so prevalent.

Switch sales have been most impressive. We haven't seen a console sell like the Switch did in 2020 since the DS and Wii a decade ago. As for Xbox, the Series X|S needs to outsell the 360 to beat any PlayStation home console. Even if it doesn't the Series X|S will be far more profitable than the 360 due to more revenue from Game Pass and game sales on PC. 

Personally, I don't think its very likely that Xbox Series will manage to outsell PS3 or 360, but we'll see. The PS + Xbox total market is fairly consistent and PS is a lot stronger now than they were in the 7th gen.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Switch sales have been most impressive. We haven't seen a console sell like the Switch did in 2020 since the DS and Wii a decade ago. As for Xbox, the Series X|S needs to outsell the 360 to beat any PlayStation home console. Even if it doesn't the Series X|S will be far more profitable than the 360 due to more revenue from Game Pass and game sales on PC. 

Personally, I don't think its very likely that Xbox Series will manage to outsell PS3 or 360, but we'll see. The PS + Xbox total market is fairly consistent and PS is a lot stronger now than they were in the 7th gen.

This is pretty much my line of thinking, the two combined have been relatively stagnant since Xbox was first introduced, and after all

Once is happenstance

Twice is a coincidence

Three Times is a pattern.

@trunkswd Do you think PS5 & XS could reach a combined total of 200M? Really tall order, but I think that would be cool. The PS5 would have to outsell the PS4 (which itself would have to outsell Game Boy) and the XS would have to sell at least 70M). At the very least, I hope their combined sales surpass the combined sales of past PS & Xbox systems.

I do agree that it will likely be a closer race than PS4 & Xbox One, though I do think the PS5 will lead by at least 40M in the end.

Around the Network

All-Time Video Game Console Sales List:

1) PlayStation 2 (PS2) - 157,680,000 (155,000,000+ according to Sony) Mar. 31st, 2012

2) Nintendo DS (DS) - 154,900,000 (154,020,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

3) Game Boy (GB/GBC) - 118,690,000

4) PlayStation 4 (PS4) - 115,732,376 (115,900,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2021

5) PlayStation (PS1) - 102,500,000 (102,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2012

6) Nintendo Wii (Wii) - 101,640,000 (101,630,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7) Nintendo Switch (NS) - 87,433,421 (84,590,000 according to Nintendo) - Mar. 31st, 2021

8) PlayStation 3 (PS3) - 87,410,000 (87,400,000+ according to Sony) - Mar. 31st, 2017

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry this took so long, but yes, as it has been already noted, the Switch has surpassed the PS3 worldwide. And it now turns its sights towards a couple of clubs. First the 90M, then 95M, and finally the 100M clubs. Afterwards, it will finally target the Wii. Right now, the Switch is maintaining a steady baseline of 375-400k a week. With 375k being the low end and 400k being the high end, it would take the Switch the following weeks to achieve these following feats:

375k baseline:

90 million: 7 weeks.

95 million: 21 weeks

100 million: 34 weeks

Pass the Wii: 38 weeks.

-------------------------------------------

400k baseline:

90 million: 7 weeks. 

95 million: 19 weeks.

100 million: 32 weeks

Pass the Wii: 36 weeks

------------------------------------------

Obviously, we have this little thing called "the holiday season" to consider, which is going to make the last two milestones, (perhaps even the 2nd one) happen much sooner than this.

Kyuu said:
curl-6 said:

I only just noticed Xbox Series outsold PS5 in North America this week, is this the first time this has happened, in any region, since the two systems have both been out?

It outsold PS5 in January and April in the UK. And iirc, Series S was the best selling SKU for April.

I meant in the main regions VGChartz divides sales into, (NA/EU/JP/ROTW) but good to know.

I know, I'm trying to help.

curl-6 said:

I only just noticed Xbox Series outsold PS5 in North America this week, is this the first time this has happened, in any region, since the two systems have both been out?

On the Hardware by Date tool on this site, it shows US instead of NA. But in US, they show X/S narrowly outsold PS5 in the weeks ending April 10 and 17.  So at least in the US, this isn't the first time.  However, this week's was the largest margin.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish