By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware June 13-19 - Switch Outsells PS3 - Switch Sells 375K, PS5 Sells 203K, XS Sells 140K

I only just noticed Xbox Series outsold PS5 in North America this week, is this the first time this has happened, in any region, since the two systems have both been out?

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 July 2021

Around the Network
drkohler said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

The fiscal report is about money, the 3.3 million is the figure Sony counts as sold, manufacturing capability is an internal matter

No, the 3.3M number is the units manufactured. A qr/fj report is a lot more complex than you think. Sony has always reported manufactured consoles, though of course nobody forced them to reveal that unique number, MS hasn't for years now. Aa fj report essentially contains the value of everything down to the last screw manufactured). Sony simply reports this number for bragging against competition. 3.3M consoles were manufactured in the Jan to Mar quarter, end of story. How this number transfers into value in the report is impossible to tell. Certainly the manufacturing costs go into the - part of the report. Sold numbers go into the + part, unsold numbers probably are in the inventory part of the report (at what value is anyone's guess).

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q4_supplement.pdf

Go to page 9 "hardware unit sales" (this means sales from Sony to their customers, such as Amazon, Target, Game & other stores)

This is from the yearly supplemental material, it's mostly extra information that they are not legally required to report. (which is why MS don't have to give hardware sales figures)

And if you are wondering how that transfers into value, it's unfortunately not split by platform, but on the same page they include Yen figures for hardware.

If you can point me to somewhere in the FY report where it says manufacturing instead please do... if their manufacturing capability is truly only 3.3m then Sony are going to have a terrible Christmas period, or do you think every time Sony release a report they are able to magically double/triple their manufacturing capability in October-November?

Jumpin said:

Anyone remember all that talk about a cliff?

trunkswd said:

Looks like PS5 is soon to run into a cliff.

Switch’s first holiday. PS5 will have that as well a little later.

I can't wait to see what PS5 will do when it will have more stock.
It's doing very well even now.

Last edited by CloudxTifa - on 03 July 2021

curl-6 said:

I only just noticed Xbox Series outsold PS5 in North America this week, is this the first time this has happened, in any region, since the two systems have both been out?

No, it has happened in South Africa, India, the UK and other countries during some months this year.

Around the Network

To be fair, that's because the PS5 & Switch's holidays don't lineup, much like the PS4 & Switch. Considering how the PS5 has been slightly outselling the PS4 so far, it will look slightly worse for Switch until we hit March 2020 for comparisons. That's possibly when the real cliff kicks in for PS5.

Blood_Tears said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Bold: that's already enough to know what you mean. No real number or proof, all are meaningless.

The irony is that this very site is just one big assumption as well with no "real" number or proof unless taken from official sources, hence the constant adjustments month after month, quarter after quarter when real or more reliable data comes in. 

Based on all the adjustments in the last quarter, drkohler's estimate is entirely possible and is in no way better or worse than VGChartz estimates. There have been times when they even made adjustments in the multimillions. Either way, we will all find out in about a months time when Sony announces their quarterly numbers. 

So you also don't have the proof, got it.

Elputoxd said:
curl-6 said:

No, it has happened in South Africa, India, the UK and other countries during some months this year.

I was referring to the regions, not countries.

S.Peelman said:
Jumpin said:

Anyone remember all that talk about a cliff?

Looks like PS5 is soon to run into a cliff.

Switch’s first holiday. PS5 will have that as well a little later.

Holiday yes, but I don't think a cliff. PS5 will probably have a someone steepish hill, although something a healthy adult can walk up, though I’d caution those suffering from arthritic-osteoporosis to avoid the hill.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Hello, until a few weeks ago, there was a spreadsheet that was posted in the weekly global numbers that compared NSW 21 with the best weekly global numbers to date of other hardware, like NSW 20, NDS 07, and NDS 08. Wondering why those were discontinued and if they can be found elsewhere. Thanks.