By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I like what i see however i hope they make an option to move the Task Bar. Being in the center will drive me crazy.



Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
HigHurtenflurst said:

The window management looks like a further improvement (something that has continually got better with each new Windows version) the rest of the stuff in the video is either visual fluff that makes little to no difference, or is adding additional hindrances to how I use Windows.

If they do indeed disallow local account & force a Windows account then thats the biggest reason I will be trying to avoid it for as long as possible.

For reference, I have never owned an Apple device, I have a 6y.o Android phone which of course had to have a google account created to use, something which I didn't know about till I got it, but it's an account that has never been connected to anything else & I don't keep significant data on my phone anyway... no banking, no significant web-browsing. Indeed apart from regular phone/text I only use it for news (BBC), weather (BBC until a month ago when their app stopped supporting KitKat), occasional Wikipedia/IMDB lookups & sometimes Youtube (through NewPipe, so never logged into Google)

I don't have a smart phone, intentionally, don't need, don't want. However it gets more and more difficult now everything wants to send text messages for 2 step verification. Most still have the option of calling your landline 'Your code is ..." in the worst electronic voice possible... However I've been locked out of my Dutch pension (still have some there from before I moved to Canada) now they're locking everything behind a DigiD, which A. only works via SMS and B. not available for non EU citizens. Back to paper.

So smartphone integration is the last thing I want! Same with tablet stuff, tiles (I never use the start menu in windows 10, it's a mess), news feeds (stop contaminating my taskbar) and notifications. And why does it ask every time what kind of device I plug in when I plug in my headphones. Older versions never asked that before. This constant nagging, what should windows do, when you plug something in. Windows should leave me .... alone :)

Hopefully USB management gets better, FS2020 is still prone to lock up and/or crash when you plug something in while the game is running. And maybe they finally fixed the bug that my laptop won't enter sleep mode when a controller is charging on USB or when I leave my flight stick plugged in over night. So annoying.

I do find the idea of a smartphone good, it's just the way the allyourdataarebelongtous attitude has become so prevalent that irks me, at least with my laptop I have more control & can block the majority of data collection (Windows 10 being the first backstep on that with it's "diagnostics" collection) I'll have to look into rooting android so I can avoid google as much as possible when I need a new phone.

Agreed on the smartphone becoming a requirement thing, in the UK at least I don't think it will be forced any time soon, the gov generally tries to keep services accessible to as many people as possible so things like pensions always have a paper & landline option... (I imagine it's still difficult for overseas expats though) but many busineses increasingly expect you to have one even if they can't force it.

I presume it's USB headphones you are plugging in, as I don't think I have ever got a device message from plugging in headphones to the audio jack. Also I thought there were options regarding USB & sleep in power settings, but it's not something I use much so maybe not working as intended?

Apart from the telemetry & the godawful updates, my main gripes with W10 have been odd nonconsistent things that don't make sense, mostly with the start menu eg:
In W7 the start menu I could very easily & quickly navigate with windows keyboard (tap windows key, navigate with arrows, tap enter), whereas W10 can't make up it's mind, each update seems to do something slightly different.
At the moment if I tap windows key I can then tap the down key to enter most used programs which is fine, but you can't navigate left (to power/settings) or right to the tiles menu, you have to use tab to switch between the 3 sections, and none of the sections loop so to get to the bottom you can't just press up, there's no reason behind why it wouldn't.
Previous updates have had different behaviours, and I think I must have had a bug at one point as there were a couple of times where I had to press windows key to open the menu, but was unable to use it until I closed & opened it again, & this behaviour stopped and restarted with alternating updates (thankfully last couple of years updates have not done this).
Then for touchpad/mouse use for some reason I can't use 2-finger scrolling or scroll wheel on the programs menu until you put the cursor over the tiny little scroll bar between programs & tiles, then it seemingly "unlocks" scrolling, again this has changed a couple of times during updates.

I'll admit they are minor inconveniences but when there is no reason why these features are not possible or that they keep changing it's annoying, it's like their developers are fighting each other, 1 group make an update only for another group to change things around the next update, & neither group knows how to use a keyboard & mouse.

All that just for the start menu, I think plenty of people have problems with the inconsistant mess that is the new settings vs old control panel stuff.



LurkerJ said:

I don't think anyone here praised Apple here but me lol, (..)

And me, I do that everywhere, but I'm not the "also a Sony fan", I think, so I don't know.



HigHurtenflurst said:

I do find the idea of a smartphone good, it's just the way the allyourdataarebelongtous attitude has become so prevalent that irks me, at least with my laptop I have more control & can block the majority of data collection (Windows 10 being the first backstep on that with it's "diagnostics" collection) I'll have to look into rooting android so I can avoid google as much as possible when I need a new phone.

Agreed on the smartphone becoming a requirement thing, in the UK at least I don't think it will be forced any time soon, the gov generally tries to keep services accessible to as many people as possible so things like pensions always have a paper & landline option... (I imagine it's still difficult for overseas expats though) but many busineses increasingly expect you to have one even if they can't force it.

I presume it's USB headphones you are plugging in, as I don't think I have ever got a device message from plugging in headphones to the audio jack. Also I thought there were options regarding USB & sleep in power settings, but it's not something I use much so maybe not working as intended?

Apart from the telemetry & the godawful updates, my main gripes with W10 have been odd nonconsistent things that don't make sense, mostly with the start menu eg:
In W7 the start menu I could very easily & quickly navigate with windows keyboard (tap windows key, navigate with arrows, tap enter), whereas W10 can't make up it's mind, each update seems to do something slightly different.
At the moment if I tap windows key I can then tap the down key to enter most used programs which is fine, but you can't navigate left (to power/settings) or right to the tiles menu, you have to use tab to switch between the 3 sections, and none of the sections loop so to get to the bottom you can't just press up, there's no reason behind why it wouldn't.
Previous updates have had different behaviours, and I think I must have had a bug at one point as there were a couple of times where I had to press windows key to open the menu, but was unable to use it until I closed & opened it again, & this behaviour stopped and restarted with alternating updates (thankfully last couple of years updates have not done this).
Then for touchpad/mouse use for some reason I can't use 2-finger scrolling or scroll wheel on the programs menu until you put the cursor over the tiny little scroll bar between programs & tiles, then it seemingly "unlocks" scrolling, again this has changed a couple of times during updates.

I'll admit they are minor inconveniences but when there is no reason why these features are not possible or that they keep changing it's annoying, it's like their developers are fighting each other, 1 group make an update only for another group to change things around the next update, & neither group knows how to use a keyboard & mouse.

All that just for the start menu, I think plenty of people have problems with the inconsistant mess that is the new settings vs old control panel stuff.

It's the audio jack, not USB headphones. Ahh there's a remember my selection option, I didn't notice that before, good gone.

The USB power & sleep is a long standing bug. MS keeps sending me email when there's another 'solution' in the bug thread, none of them work lol. It simply won't go to sleep with a game controller connected. The mouse is fine (I don't use the trackpad, it hates me) And yep, what's up with these thin scroll bars, bloody annoying. At least it's just a windows feature, everything else still has normal scroll bars.

I don't use the start menu anymore, it changes to much. I have all my shortcuts I need on the desktop and the search box does the rest.

Let's just say it keeps you mind young, having to relearn windows every couple years :p



Somewhat helpful article on TPM requirement and why
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

TPM 2.0 is officially required, yet still none the wise whether drive encryption is automatic and/or mandatory. As long as it leaves my external drives un-encrypted all is fine. New hardware will come with Windows 11, so of course compatible. I see no reason to upgrade my current working systems, so I'll wait with getting a new laptop until the dust settles after the windows 11 launch.



Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
LurkerJ said:

I don't think anyone here praised Apple here but me lol, (..)

And me, I do that everywhere, but I'm not the "also a Sony fan", I think, so I don't know.

Apple and Nintendo have a lot in common, actually. Both companies rely on carving success where competition is stiff & staying innovative, both become volatile if they "coast" on what they have. One can't say the same about the competition.



CGI-Quality said:

Make sure y'all can run it...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?OCID=1_pchc_windows_app_omc_win#question-19

I would on behalf of all the potato powered windows users on VGChartz like to thank you for the info, but after being told by those that live on the extreme edge of PC hot rodding like Big Daddy Pemalite, that not only are you living proof that Moore's law isn't dead, you also created your own hydroelectric scheme by using your Pipe Mania skills to divert the local water supply into your backyard dam built out of Lego, while at the same time using stolen blueprints from Subnautica to develop a nuclear power plant in the basement, finally giving you the equivalent output of your state's entire power grid enabling you to power your PC. without blacking out the whole state.

So the real question is why would someone who's very name makes Cray Supercomputers shake in fear, think that they needed to find out if their PC was capable of running windows 11.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 29 June 2021

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

LurkerJ said:

Apple and Nintendo have a lot in common, actually. Both companies rely on carving success where competition is stiff & staying innovative, both become volatile if they "coast" on what they have. One can't say the same about the competition.

That’s probably true, but I’m much more superficial.

Windows has annoyed me, with ups and downs, with it’s convoluted and messy ways since the 90s. There has been real, actual frustration from time to time over the years. Mac OS on the other hand has just clicked with me ever since just as long. To me the good-bad-good-bad cycle of Windows is real, and since 10 was decent enough (worse than 7 and XP, but still on the better half of the spectrum), I’m not having much hopes for 11.

With Nintendo it’s mostly that Nintendo has Zelda, and Zelda is the greatest thing ever so Nintendo every generation it is.

Though maybe subconsciously what you say still helps lol.



S.Peelman said:
LurkerJ said:

Apple and Nintendo have a lot in common, actually. Both companies rely on carving success where competition is stiff & staying innovative, both become volatile if they "coast" on what they have. One can't say the same about the competition.

That’s probably true, but I’m much more superficial.

Windows has annoyed me, with ups and downs, with it’s convoluted and messy ways since the 90s. There has been real, actual frustration from time to time over the years. Mac OS on the other hand has just clicked with me ever since just as long. To me the good-bad-good-bad cycle of Windows is real, and since 10 was decent enough (worse than 7 and XP, but still on the better half of the spectrum), I’m not having much hopes for 11.

With Nintendo it’s mostly that Nintendo has Zelda, and Zelda is the greatest thing ever so Nintendo every generation it is.

Though maybe subconsciously what you say still helps lol.

I'll agree with whatever you say, God



With so much focus on touch devices, Windows 11 is clearly not made with regular desktop use as a big priority. Between acquiring Nokia, going bananas to buy gaming studios and publishers, leveraging "as service" games and subscriptions more and more, and now releasing an OS with so much touch focus in the UI, I think MS is gearing for another go at the mobile gaming and device market in the near future.