By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
HigHurtenflurst said:

I do find the idea of a smartphone good, it's just the way the allyourdataarebelongtous attitude has become so prevalent that irks me, at least with my laptop I have more control & can block the majority of data collection (Windows 10 being the first backstep on that with it's "diagnostics" collection) I'll have to look into rooting android so I can avoid google as much as possible when I need a new phone.

Agreed on the smartphone becoming a requirement thing, in the UK at least I don't think it will be forced any time soon, the gov generally tries to keep services accessible to as many people as possible so things like pensions always have a paper & landline option... (I imagine it's still difficult for overseas expats though) but many busineses increasingly expect you to have one even if they can't force it.

I presume it's USB headphones you are plugging in, as I don't think I have ever got a device message from plugging in headphones to the audio jack. Also I thought there were options regarding USB & sleep in power settings, but it's not something I use much so maybe not working as intended?

Apart from the telemetry & the godawful updates, my main gripes with W10 have been odd nonconsistent things that don't make sense, mostly with the start menu eg:
In W7 the start menu I could very easily & quickly navigate with windows keyboard (tap windows key, navigate with arrows, tap enter), whereas W10 can't make up it's mind, each update seems to do something slightly different.
At the moment if I tap windows key I can then tap the down key to enter most used programs which is fine, but you can't navigate left (to power/settings) or right to the tiles menu, you have to use tab to switch between the 3 sections, and none of the sections loop so to get to the bottom you can't just press up, there's no reason behind why it wouldn't.
Previous updates have had different behaviours, and I think I must have had a bug at one point as there were a couple of times where I had to press windows key to open the menu, but was unable to use it until I closed & opened it again, & this behaviour stopped and restarted with alternating updates (thankfully last couple of years updates have not done this).
Then for touchpad/mouse use for some reason I can't use 2-finger scrolling or scroll wheel on the programs menu until you put the cursor over the tiny little scroll bar between programs & tiles, then it seemingly "unlocks" scrolling, again this has changed a couple of times during updates.

I'll admit they are minor inconveniences but when there is no reason why these features are not possible or that they keep changing it's annoying, it's like their developers are fighting each other, 1 group make an update only for another group to change things around the next update, & neither group knows how to use a keyboard & mouse.

All that just for the start menu, I think plenty of people have problems with the inconsistant mess that is the new settings vs old control panel stuff.

It's the audio jack, not USB headphones. Ahh there's a remember my selection option, I didn't notice that before, good gone.

The USB power & sleep is a long standing bug. MS keeps sending me email when there's another 'solution' in the bug thread, none of them work lol. It simply won't go to sleep with a game controller connected. The mouse is fine (I don't use the trackpad, it hates me) And yep, what's up with these thin scroll bars, bloody annoying. At least it's just a windows feature, everything else still has normal scroll bars.

I don't use the start menu anymore, it changes to much. I have all my shortcuts I need on the desktop and the search box does the rest.

Let's just say it keeps you mind young, having to relearn windows every couple years :p

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
zero129 said:

Bolded: Needing the MS account is only for the Home version and im pretty sure you only need internet on setting it up.

All other versions dont need an MS account or an internet connection to set up. But if your running windows why wouldnt you have an MS account anyways?.

Why would you have an MS account? I have one, just because I still have a hotmail email account since the 90s and it automatically got changed or integrated into a MS account. However my wife doesn't have one, doesn't want one either. It was already a pita to get her new laptop working as at first it would not continue installation without a MS account. (You need to be disconnected from the internet to get around it)

Anyway, the only 'good' thing about my MS account is that it forces me to type in my password every day to wake up my laptop. So I'll never forget my email password. Other than that, no use for it.

I just got used to the convoluted menus and searching for settings in Windows 10, not looking forward to start over again.

By your other dramatized post i dont even know if you have been gaming on PC for so long.. Noticed how fudge is been trown in here and when pointed out the original post still isnt fixed but instead all we get is a "Sorry didnt know". Why leave the original post untouched or fixed is it to make someone just browsing who looks at your post and then thinks all them things a true??. Thats what it seems like.

Like what was said to you already TPM Bitlocker isnt a big deal. Needing an MS account isnt too as you know and anyone with the pro version still wont need one.

Why i have an MS account? i ended up getting one like you then i started using it for gamepass and then i linked my windows 10 pro key to my account so it makes it super easy for me to change hardware and made it so easy for me to install windows 10 on my new pc and continue just like i had it on the old one. I really dont know why a person who has windows 10 wouldnt have an MS account but thats just me. I really cant help people that love every chance they can to complain about MS so sorry.

Last edited by zero129 - on 27 June 2021

S.Peelman said:
LurkerJ said:

I don't think anyone here praised Apple here but me lol, (..)

And me, I do that everywhere, but I'm not the "also a Sony fan", I think, so I don't know.

Yes your the odd one out the nintendo fan who is also an apple fan...Ok maybe your not so odd xD

Somewhat helpful article on TPM requirement and why
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

TPM 2.0 is officially required, yet still none the wise whether drive encryption is automatic and/or mandatory. As long as it leaves my external drives un-encrypted all is fine. New hardware will come with Windows 11, so of course compatible. I see no reason to upgrade my current working systems, so I'll wait with getting a new laptop until the dust settles after the windows 11 launch.

SvennoJ said:

Somewhat helpful article on TPM requirement and why
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

TPM 2.0 is officially required, yet still none the wise whether drive encryption is automatic and/or mandatory. As long as it leaves my external drives un-encrypted all is fine. New hardware will come with Windows 11, so of course compatible. I see no reason to upgrade my current working systems, so I'll wait with getting a new laptop until the dust settles after the windows 11 launch.

Ya know what with how much complaining you do about windows even down to the most silly things (Just look at your post history). Why dont you just get a Mac or switch to Linux and be done with it, Clearly you are not happy with windows you always have problems with drivers and connecting things its like nothing ever goes right for you so just switch...

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
LurkerJ said:

I don't think anyone here praised Apple here but me lol, (..)

And me, I do that everywhere, but I'm not the "also a Sony fan", I think, so I don't know.

Apple and Nintendo have a lot in common, actually. Both companies rely on carving success where competition is stiff & staying innovative, both become volatile if they "coast" on what they have. One can't say the same about the competition.

CGI-Quality said:

Make sure y'all can run it...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?OCID=1_pchc_windows_app_omc_win#question-19

I would on behalf of all the potato powered windows users on VGChartz like to thank you for the info, but after being told by those that live on the extreme edge of PC hot rodding like Big Daddy Pemalite, that not only are you living proof that Moore's law isn't dead, you also created your own hydroelectric scheme by using your Pipe Mania skills to divert the local water supply into your backyard dam built out of Lego, while at the same time using stolen blueprints from Subnautica to develop a nuclear power plant in the basement, finally giving you the equivalent output of your state's entire power grid enabling you to power your PC. without blacking out the whole state.

So the real question is why would someone who's very name makes Cray Supercomputers shake in fear, think that they needed to find out if their PC was capable of running windows 11.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 29 June 2021

LurkerJ said:

Apple and Nintendo have a lot in common, actually. Both companies rely on carving success where competition is stiff & staying innovative, both become volatile if they "coast" on what they have. One can't say the same about the competition.

That’s probably true, but I’m much more superficial.

Windows has annoyed me, with ups and downs, with it’s convoluted and messy ways since the 90s. There has been real, actual frustration from time to time over the years. Mac OS on the other hand has just clicked with me ever since just as long. To me the good-bad-good-bad cycle of Windows is real, and since 10 was decent enough (worse than 7 and XP, but still on the better half of the spectrum), I’m not having much hopes for 11.

With Nintendo it’s mostly that Nintendo has Zelda, and Zelda is the greatest thing ever so Nintendo every generation it is.

Though maybe subconsciously what you say still helps lol.

S.Peelman said:
LurkerJ said:

That’s probably true, but I’m much more superficial.

Windows has annoyed me, with ups and downs, with it’s convoluted and messy ways since the 90s. There has been real, actual frustration from time to time over the years. Mac OS on the other hand has just clicked with me ever since just as long. To me the good-bad-good-bad cycle of Windows is real, and since 10 was decent enough (worse than 7 and XP, but still on the better half of the spectrum), I’m not having much hopes for 11.

With Nintendo it’s mostly that Nintendo has Zelda, and Zelda is the greatest thing ever so Nintendo every generation it is.

Though maybe subconsciously what you say still helps lol.

I'll agree with whatever you say, God

With so much focus on touch devices, Windows 11 is clearly not made with regular desktop use as a big priority. Between acquiring Nokia, going bananas to buy gaming studios and publishers, leveraging "as service" games and subscriptions more and more, and now releasing an OS with so much touch focus in the UI, I think MS is gearing for another go at the mobile gaming and device market in the near future.