By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which Final Fantasy game deserves a remake?!

Which FF deserves the remake?!

Final Fantasy II 3 5.08%

FF III 1 1.69%

FF IV 1 1.69%

FF V 1 1.69%

FF VI 34 57.63%

FF VIII 8 13.56%

FF IX 7 11.86%

FF X 3 5.08%

FF XII 0 0%

FF XIII 1 1.69%

Total:59
Hynad said:
The Fury said:

6 without a doubt but it's got to stay more true to the original. Button mashing gameplay should not be the future of the series.

Good thing FFVII Remake isn’t part of that future your describe.

Of course not, that game is out already so it's not the future anymore, it's the present... sorry part 1 of that game.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Hynad said:

Good thing FFVII Remake isn’t part of that future your describe.

Of course not, that game is out already so it's not the future anymore, it's the present... sorry part 1 of that game.

It’s not a button masher is what I meant, but I guess you tried to dodge that.

Hynad said:

I know, still a button masher compared to FF7, which it was meant to be based on, which wasn't.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Hynad said:

I know, still a button masher compared to FF7, which it was meant to be based on, which wasn't.

It’s not. You press buttons, sure, it’s a video game, but you don’t mash them. Because if you do, you won’t make it far into the game.

Personally I think the rest of VII deserves a remake, really hope they get on that.

But if we're being serious, what I would like to see most is a IX remake since that's my second favorite after VII.
The NES era games would defintely benefit most though since they haven't aged very well imo, but since I'm not a big fan of those they wouldn't be my first pick.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network

4, 6, and 9 are my favorites and could all be solid remakes. I enjoyed 7 remake, and wouldn't mind one of these games get similar treatments. I would rather them just remake them like the recent Legend of Mana or similar graphics to Octopath Traveler.

Yeah, I also miss turn based but we have to move passed the idea of that turn based equals tactical and action equals button mashing. You cannot button mash your way through FFVIIR lol

For me, things I miss about turn based.
1. Full input on all characters
2. clear overview of all combat actions
3. Cinematic angles and presentation of your characters, enemies and attacks.
4. Not concerning yourself with reflexes allows you to focus on tactics more (if battle calls for it)

Ka-pi96 said:
EnricoPallazzo said:

Thats bad. At the same time, didnt you guys have imports, or game rental places?

I was able to beat it twice around 1995 living in Brazil and believe me, it was really hard to find stuff at that time.

Region locking was a thing back then. We were in the PAL region so anything from Japan/the Americas would be unplayable to us. If there were any import stores they were probably just imported from elsewhere in Europe which obviously wouldn't help. Rental places would only rent stuff that was also sold in the country.

I assume Brazil was the same region as the US? So it would've been easier to import stuff there.

Plus there wouldn't have really been any demand. I'm pretty sure FF7 was the first FF game to release in Europe, so the franchise was literally unknown prior to that. Even if it were easy, people aren't going to import a game they've never heard of.

Thanks for the info, I didnt know about all that. Brazil actually uses a system called PAL-M, I dont know the details but I know that american consoles and VCR's did work for us but the screen would be black and white. Therefore you had to buy a kind of small conversor that you needed to use to make it appear in colour. I really dont know if the PAL-M system use din Brazil has any relation to the PAL system from europe.

One thing that I always wanted to know is if we played the games on a wrong framerate, now I am curious and will do some research on it as it seems games on NTSC and PAL actually used to run at different framerates.

Back to the availability stuff, the game rentals would import the game mostly from US or Japan. We would have those rental places everywhere in big cities.

As for the demand, I dont know, again in Brazil there was demand so probably in Europe there would be demand as those games were covered extensively by games magazines. The first time I beat the game I used one of those guides as I did not know english by then.

Anyway, it's such a great game, so many memories.

Ka-pi96 said:
haxxiy said:

They also had almost no marketing though. I didn't know about the 4 remake until years later when I saw it in a Steam sale. Had no idea about the initial DS release, not as if I would have bought it on DS anyway, but still.

Didn't know about the 3 remake until even more recently (this decade, I believe). So yeah, if they want to sell remakes maybe they should actually market them? They're marketing the hell out of 7 and that's selling.

I mean, put yourself in their shoes. If "marketing the hell out of it" is the solution, they might as well do it for FFXIV or the upcoming FFXVI instead of looking back to an older title... since most of these sold less than XIV or XV back then, to begin with.

Not that it wouldn't be cool if Square Enix outsourced past FFs to a lesser third party dev to do remakes of these games with a mid-sized budget. You have examples of that out there such as Tony Hawk or Metroid 2. But "cool thing that developers won't do" is a gigantic list and has always been, so yeah.

None!

Stop making and stop asking for remakes of old games, give us new games instead.