By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 24, 2021 - (June 7 - June 13)

RE8 PS5 is gone from the Top 30 so it looks like it won't be a mainstay for the system in the charts long term, Guilty Gear will probably be gone next week too.
Japanese PS gamers still mostly sticking with their PS4 games for now.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 June 2021

Around the Network

XBS up over 400% wow!!

also seems we were missing one genre tag on the last thread TBL or tabletop and board games.

Ratchet's first week sales are abysmal, its such a great franchise, what a damn waste

Otter said:
Wyrdness said:

Except the are examples where this is false, MK8 was on WiiU and released early on NSW yet performed just fine you can argue that the audience differs but then that contradicts your PS5 argument as the audience can differ as well.

A number of games ported in fact have done fine look at TLOU on PS3 and PS4 both platforms would have the same audience yet different outcome. Or if you think it is a regional thing Miitopia as well would have the same audience as Switch as on 3DS yet is performing in a comparable manner on both platforms currently it is better.

PS4 version of VIIR already underperformed in itself and if the PS5'S hopes of sales were double dipping consumers that further leans into his stance of a big under performance of a franchise that once rubbed shoulders with the likes of MH and DQ sales. 

This is not a good comparison.

MK8 Switch does not have a free upgrade for Wii U owners.

Switch is a portable.

Switch has a highly distinct userbase from the Wii U.

-----

In regards to decline of FF, all the data you need is in 2020s release. This free upgrade for existing owners doesn't add much to this narrative and has no examples of free upgrades to be compared to.

Switch sold way more than Switch Lite. If they care about portable only, just Lite model is enough.

HoangNhatAnh said:
Otter said:

This is not a good comparison.

MK8 Switch does not have a free upgrade for Wii U owners.

Switch is a portable.

Switch has a highly distinct userbase from the Wii U.

-----

In regards to decline of FF, all the data you need is in 2020s release. This free upgrade for existing owners doesn't add much to this narrative and has no examples of free upgrades to be compared to.

Switch sold way more than Switch Lite. If they care about portable only, just Lite model is enough.

This logic doesn't get you anywhere. The base system is a hybrid, it will always benefit and be distinct from a device (like Wii U) that can only be played at home. If someone play 95% portable they may still prefer the option to "Switch" lol. Better yet they might like the option of tabletop or the bigger screen. The portability of it is just one of the many, many  reasons why comparing FFVII intergrade sales to MK8 Switch is nonsensical. If anyone who owned the game on Wii U wanted to continue playing on Switch they have to buy a new copy, it's also a multiplayer game which means it has a longer shelf life in peoples homes. And this without touching on the fact that the audience Switch attracted largely did not own Wii U's.

But I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, so I will just concede....  FFVII intergrade is the biggest flop of the last decade. A new FF game opening to 21k is shocking, they should cancel part 2's Japanese release. Can we move on now? :) 

Edit: oopsie HoangNhatAnh, sorry I thought I was responding to someone else. This sentiment was not targeted at you... but it still applies to the topic lol

Last edited by Otter - on 18 June 2021

Around the Network
Otter said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

This logic doesn't get you anyway. The base system is a hybrid, it will always benefit and be distinct from a device (like Wii U) that can only be played at home. If someone play 95% portable they may still prefer the option to "Switch" lol. Better yet they might like the option of tabletop or the bigger screen. The portability of it is just one of the many, many  reasons why comparing FFVII intergrade sales to MK8 Switch is nonsensical. If anyone who owned the game on Wii U wanted to continue playing on Switch they have to buy a new copy, it's also a multiplayer game which means it has a longer shelf life in peoples homes. And this without touching on the fact that the audience Switch attracted largely did not own Wii U's.

But I feel like we're beating a dead horse here, so I will just concede....  FFVII intergrade is the biggest flop of the last decade. A new FF game opening to 21k is shocking, they should cancel part 2's Japanese release. Can we move on now? :) 

Edit: oopsie HoangNhatAnh, sorry I thought I was responding to someone else. This sentiment was not targeted at you... but it still applies to the topic lol

Except Switch price >>> Switch Lite price.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Except Switch price >>> Switch Lite price.

Not everyone is poor :p 

Seriously though, people like options and fearful of missing out. I buy games exclusive digital atm but I still paid extra for the Bluray PS5. I play my Switch 98% in docked mode but would still buy the hybrid over a cheaper Switch TV 

FFVII Re undeperformance on PS4 is a fact, but to somewhat extend this underperformance to PS5 version sales is far too much

The pool of PS5 owners who owned PS4 might be closer to 100%. If you offer your whole library for free your only reason to rebuy games you already own is for collective purposes, which is absolutely the case here 

So any PS5 game that is free delivered from PS4 isn't expected to sell at all, except for collectors or for the very small non-PS4 owners who have a PS5

All comparisons for non free delivered games are ultimely pointless, unless the system is fully BC. If you want a fairer comparison I think SMT Devil Survivor is the way to go

DS version sold 310k, 3DS version sold 4 years later sold 120k. Need to point however to play additional content you really needed to buy the 3DS version, for FF VII you can skip it and just buy the DLC

If some day Sony reveal the DLC sales numbers for 7RE and they are abysmally, then I would be worried, until there it's hard to be concerned with people choosing to not buying a game again after just 1 year

Agente42 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

You do know that people who own the PS4 version can upgrade for free right? 

I know.  it's a final fantasy mainline. Not a spin-off. Try to spin this for a good sale its wrong because of game scope, franchise size, and investment. 

Full price Nintendo port of Mario 2d sell gangbusters. 

Ok Sale, for the FW in the range 50-75k, with scalpers theory on. 

Final Fantasy doesn't have long legs usually, most people buy it early on, these sales are not surprising at all, especially considering the free upgrade.

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

There's honestly no precedent with this kind of topic. franchise etc mean very little here. Typically what you would compare this to is a re-release that we've seen in past like with Monster Hunter etc. But they do not have free upgrades. Essentially there is no reason for a fan of the series to rebuy the game cos' their PS4 version automatically updates. All they need to do is buy the $10 DLC from the PSN store.

Re-releases typically depend on fans double dipping, free upgrades completely eliminate the need for that. 

Thing is the PS4 version in itself only moved about 1m retail in the region going by Famitsu's numbers so even with the free upgrade the game is already well below expectations before we consider if everyone upgraded especially as we had people expecting it to sell 10 to 15m in total WW which would require a much more significant performance in the region.

Even the argument of double dipping here doesn't really offset the underwhelming performance as a game development tool basically outsold the much requested remake of a popular game. 

People who expected the game to sell 10-15mil WW have no idea how these games actually sell nowadays. The original FF7 didn't sell 15mil with all skus combined.

In Japan the game didn't underperform either, the franchise was in decline for 15 years already. People who expected the game to be that popular WW overestimated it because they didn't realise they're in an internet bubble on a small forum where most people are enthusiasts.

Square Enix had realistic expectation though and they were happy with 5mil.

I don't get why people here are suprised GBG outsold FF7R Intergrade. There is a free upgrade, most people who wanted to play it already did, PS5 software sales are abysmal and preorders for GBG were big. Did anyone here expect FF7RI to sell 100k at launch?