By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu sales: Week 24, 2021 - (June 7 - June 13)

rapsuperstar31 said:

What the hell Japan, if you like Mario games you should like Ratchet games!  I really do think that higher $70 is having an effect on total sales.  Hopefully it did well digitally.

Ratched doesn't have a good history, I don't know why. The good pace sales, with not mistaken, only on Ps2

FFVII remake maybe will have good legs, I hope so. 

Around the Network
Signalstar said:

2 PS5 games in the top 10.

Xbox Series will probably outsell Xbox One in Japan.

indeed great rebound. 

XS is doing comparatively well in Japan. It will certainly outsell the XBO quickly like that. It should sell about as well as the original Xbox in Japan in the end, so over half a million total compared to 120k for the XBO.

PS5 is doing fine. Nothing huge, but no bad sales yet more than make up for this so far.

Switch is definitely supply-limited. Even the lite model, which was used as a fall-back so far, is now affected. Considering the chip crunch, I doubt Nintendo could even increase production if they wanted to. So those supply woes will stay with us for a while at the very least.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 17 June 2021

Agente42 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

You do know that people who own the PS4 version can upgrade for free right? 

I know.  it's a final fantasy mainline. Not a spin-off. Try to spin this for a good sale its wrong because of game scope, franchise size, and investment. 

Full price Nintendo port of Mario 2d sell gangbusters. 

Ok Sale, for the FW in the range 50-75k, with scalpers theory on. 

There's honestly no precedent with this kind of topic. franchise etc mean very little here. Typically what you would compare this to is a re-release that we've seen in past like with Monster Hunter etc. But they do not have free upgrades. Essentially there is no reason for a fan of the series to rebuy the game cos' their PS4 version automatically updates. All they need to do is buy the $10 DLC from the PSN store.

Re-releases typically depend on fans double dipping, free upgrades completely eliminate the need for that. 

Otter said:
Agente42 said:

I know.  it's a final fantasy mainline. Not a spin-off. Try to spin this for a good sale its wrong because of game scope, franchise size, and investment. 

Full price Nintendo port of Mario 2d sell gangbusters. 

Ok Sale, for the FW in the range 50-75k, with scalpers theory on. 

There's honestly no precedent with this kind of topic. franchise etc mean very little here. Typically what you would compare this to is a re-release that we've seen in past like with Monster Hunter etc. But they do not have free upgrades. Essentially there is no reason for a fan of the series to rebuy the game cos' their PS4 version automatically updates. All they need to do is buy the $10 DLC from the PSN store.

Re-releases typically depend on fans double dipping, free upgrades completely eliminate the need for that. 

Thing is the PS4 version in itself only moved about 1m retail in the region going by Famitsu's numbers so even with the free upgrade the game is already well below expectations before we consider if everyone upgraded especially as we had people expecting it to sell 10 to 15m in total WW which would require a much more significant performance in the region.

Even the argument of double dipping here doesn't really offset the underwhelming performance as a game development tool basically outsold the much requested remake of a popular game. 

Around the Network
Pinkie_pie said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I was hoping for more for Intergrade and Ratchet & Clank but still position #2 and #3 is nice to see.

I'm surprised Intergrade made the top 10 considering the free ungrade and how did the previous Ratchet games do in Japan?

Is there a time limit on this free upgrade from PS4 FFVII:R to PS5 FFXII:R Intergrade? I do own the PS4 game but I don't plan on buying a PS5 just yet, hopefully I'll have access to the upgrade still when I do purchase one.

Signature goes here!

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

Thing is the PS4 version in itself only moved about 1m retail in the region going by Famitsu's numbers so even with the free upgrade the game is already well below expectations before we consider if everyone upgraded especially as we had people expecting it to sell 10 to 15m in total.

Even the argument of double dipping here doesn't really offset the underwhelming performance as a game development tool basically outsold the much requested remake of a popular game. 

I'm only talking about the expectations for the ps5 re-release. Unless the game is being sold to a userbase who didnt have access to the PS4, the free upgrade should decimate sales expectations.  Why would PS5 users rebuy the game for full price? 

If the discussion is on the underperformance of the original FFVIIR release, we've known its sales for a while and the PS5 release wasn't going to alter this really 

Otter said:
Wyrdness said:

Thing is the PS4 version in itself only moved about 1m retail in the region going by Famitsu's numbers so even with the free upgrade the game is already well below expectations before we consider if everyone upgraded especially as we had people expecting it to sell 10 to 15m in total.

I'm only talking about the expectations for the ps5 re-release. Unless the game is being sold to a userbase who didnt have access to the PS4, the free upgrade should decimate sales expectations.  Why would PS5 users rebuy the game for full price? 

If the discussion is on the underperformance of the original FFVIIR release, we've known its sales for a while and the PS5 release wasn't going to alter this really 

You ignored the point the PS4 version itself well underperformed so if your argument is on people double dipping that further backs his stance. It would be understandable if the PS4 version sold like prior games in the region of 2 to 3m but it didn't even do that which is why the PS5 version was expected to perform better than what we see here.

Edit: Even if we look at the angle of the game being on PS4 look at the games ported from 3ds/WiiU to Switch they are performing in a comparable manner to the prior versions sometimes better. 

Last edited by Wyrdness - on 17 June 2021

Mar1217 said:

Game Builder Garage against every expectations surpasses the prolific FFVIIR and Sony big 1st party release of the week.

Pretty sure R&C numbers are not as good as the reboot title on PS4 ... do we have the numbers to compare ?

[PS4] Ratchet & Clank # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2016.08.09} (¥5.900) - 27.534 / NEW

Almost 2x for R&C 2016 but it was launched on a userbase of 4x (3m) the current PS5 userbase. 

Wyrdness said:
Otter said:

You ignored the point the PS4 version itself well underperformed so if your argument is on people double dipping that further backs his stance. It would be understandable if the PS4 version sold like prior games in the region of 2 to 3m but it didn't even do that which is why the PS5 version was expected to perform better than what we see here. 

The PS5 version was never going to have an appeal the PS4 version lacked. The fact that the PS4 version underperformed doesn't mean you'd expect more people to buy the PS5 version since its appealing to the same audience. Logically PS5 early adopters are are mostly PS4 owners.

If FFVIIR Intergrade was released on Switch that would be a different situation as it has a distinct userbase who has not previously had a chance to buy it. 

Last edited by Otter - on 17 June 2021