By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should Give Metroid Prime Federation Force Another Go

Ew, hell no.

Leave it in the dustbin of history where it belongs.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Illusion said:

This is true, but I think that part of the problem here is that it has been almost 15 years since we were given a proper 3D Metroid.  There have also been numerous subpar efforts since then such as Other M and Federation Force (even if it wasn't a terrible game, it was not well-received).  Imagine if this was the case with Zelda?  There comes a point where, as a fan, you wonder if Nintendo is even capable of supporting the franchise the way that they did in the generations past.  Putting out B-rated spinoffs during such a drought only reaffirms these doubts and creates frustration for us fans.

I think were at a point now that it should be safe for Nintendo to try another multiplayer Metroid spin off now. There is a traditional 3D Metroid in development and a 2D one is launching this October.

Yeah but like, what's the point?

I'd take any other kind of Metroid content instead of that. Samus Returns would greatly benefit from a port that removes it from the shackles of the 3DS. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be fantastic on the Switch and is still lingering far back on the Wii. Even Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are currently unavailable on the Switch.

With all those games unavailable on their current platform, where they're trying to sell Metroid 5 and Metroid Prime 4... yeah, I wouldn't dislike more than a few ports/remasters. And ideally for the two main teams making the two games right now, would like to see them continue making more - in the case of MercurySteam, that in itself could mean a new take on traditional Metroid since Dread is supposed to be the end of the story arc up to this point.

I'm not against experimenting, but forcing multiplayer in a series that is traditionally single-player is just... no, why.



mZuzek said:
jason1637 said:

I think were at a point now that it should be safe for Nintendo to try another multiplayer Metroid spin off now. There is a traditional 3D Metroid in development and a 2D one is launching this October.

Yeah but like, what's the point?

I'd take any other kind of Metroid content instead of that. Samus Returns would greatly benefit from a port that removes it from the shackles of the 3DS. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be fantastic on the Switch and is still lingering far back on the Wii. Even Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are currently unavailable on the Switch.

With all those games unavailable on their current platform, where they're trying to sell Metroid 5 and Metroid Prime 4... yeah, I wouldn't dislike more than a few ports/remasters. And ideally for the two main teams making the two games right now, would like to see them continue making more - in the case of MercurySteam, that in itself could mean a new take on traditional Metroid since Dread is supposed to be the end of the story arc up to this point.

I'm not against experimenting, but forcing multiplayer in a series that is traditionally single-player is just... no, why.

Because the gameplay would work for it and federation force is a fun game. A lot of Nintendo IPs nowadays either have multiplayer in the main game or spin-offs that have substantial multiplayer experiences and these games are traditionally single player IPs. There is a lack of FPS multiplayer shooters on the switch and Metroid is a franchise that can fill that niche. It’s not like they have to build from scratch, Federation Force can be a foundation.



jason1637 said:
mZuzek said:

Yeah but like, what's the point?

I'd take any other kind of Metroid content instead of that. Samus Returns would greatly benefit from a port that removes it from the shackles of the 3DS. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be fantastic on the Switch and is still lingering far back on the Wii. Even Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are currently unavailable on the Switch.

With all those games unavailable on their current platform, where they're trying to sell Metroid 5 and Metroid Prime 4... yeah, I wouldn't dislike more than a few ports/remasters. And ideally for the two main teams making the two games right now, would like to see them continue making more - in the case of MercurySteam, that in itself could mean a new take on traditional Metroid since Dread is supposed to be the end of the story arc up to this point.

I'm not against experimenting, but forcing multiplayer in a series that is traditionally single-player is just... no, why.

Because the gameplay would work for it and federation force is a fun game. A lot of Nintendo IPs nowadays either have multiplayer in the main game or spin-offs that have substantial multiplayer experiences and these games are traditionally single player IPs. There is a lack of FPS multiplayer shooters on the switch and Metroid is a franchise that can fill that niche. It’s not like they have to build from scratch, Federation Force can be a foundation.

Exactly.

Nintendo does multiplayer games too much. Just look at that Nintendo Direct from E3, how many multiplayer-centric games and how many single player? Most of the major reveals and trailers were for multiplayer games. The last thing we need is making one of their core narrative-driven series into another multiplayer thing. Heck, they've already tried it twice before, first with the multiplayer mode in Prime 2, then with Federation Force. Both were massively unpopular.

I don't think they need a FPS multiplayer shooter at all. But if they were to make one, I'd much rather it be a new IP (which itself is also something they're lacking in).



I think that with Dread we are already getting more than expected, better they focus on Prime 4 and finish Dread. Once Prime 4 is out, they can do whatever they want.

If they can do a good job with Federation Force, I don't see why not. But they should change the title the game had a bad rap.



Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Ew, hell no.

Leave it in the dustbin of history where it belongs.

I think a redemption arc would be nice.



Yeah, sure, why not. Had Federation Force looked like Dread, there wouldn't have been a backlash to begin with, maybe people would've become upset over the fact that Samus wasn't the protagonist, but that's it. Nonetheless, critics also say it is average, so this new attempt would need to step up its game as well.

But, again, why not. The idea behind it isn't terrible.



My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

The resources it would take would be better spent on a million other potential projects with more potential for both quality and commercial success frankly.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

I wouldn't be against the idea of making games about other characters from the Metroid Universe like other bounty hunters/mercenaries or the soldiers from the federation if it weren't for the fact that the last games starring Samus both 2D and 3D or that weren't remakes came out more than a decade ago, this comment basically sums it up pretty well:

Illusion said:
jason1637 said:

But Zelda games get spin-offs too. Just look at Hyrulr Warriors. Mario is Nintendo A rated biggest franchise and has been able to branch out to things like Mario General nis and Paper Mario which have grown their own canvases. Hyrulr Warriors seems to be doing the same with the Zelda IP. 

This is true, but I think that part of the problem here is that it has been almost 15 years since we were given a proper 3D Metroid.  There have also been numerous subpar efforts since then such as Other M and Federation Force (even if it wasn't a terrible game, it was not well-received).  Imagine if this was the case with Zelda?  There comes a point where, as a fan, you wonder if Nintendo is even capable of supporting the franchise the way that they did in the generations past.  Putting out B-rated spinoffs during such a drought only reaffirms these doubts and creates frustration for us fans.

They haven't released a original game in a very long time and then they release a "chibi" spinoff that no one asked for, a "chibi" spinoff for God's sake, Metroid is one of the first few Nintendo franchises that deviated from the cute, tiny, cartoony or goofy aesthetics, how did they expect the people to react when they announced it, moreso with the blastball minigame upfront, if anything it should have been as this comment says:

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I'd be more interested in a Star Wars: Republic Commando-style tactical shooter starring Federation Marines. This seems like such a slam dunk.

That said, I think Federation Force gets a bad rap. It's a game no one asked for, sure, but I enjoyed it.

Finally while i'm not totally against the idea of reimagining a game with similar thematic, i would first go with what mZuzek says: 

mZuzek said:
jason1637 said:

I think were at a point now that it should be safe for Nintendo to try another multiplayer Metroid spin off now. There is a traditional 3D Metroid in development and a 2D one is launching this October.

Yeah but like, what's the point?

I'd take any other kind of Metroid content instead of that. Samus Returns would greatly benefit from a port that removes it from the shackles of the 3DS. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be fantastic on the Switch and is still lingering far back on the Wii. Even Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are currently unavailable on the Switch.

With all those games unavailable on their current platform, where they're trying to sell Metroid 5 and Metroid Prime 4... yeah, I wouldn't dislike more than a few ports/remasters. And ideally for the two main teams making the two games right now, would like to see them continue making more - in the case of MercurySteam, that in itself could mean a new take on traditional Metroid since Dread is supposed to be the end of the story arc up to this point.

I'm not against experimenting, but forcing multiplayer in a series that is traditionally single-player is just... no, why.

why aren't they releasing the older games as with e-shop/virtual console? lots of new gamers whose first console is the switch could learn about the best metroid releases: Zero Mission and Samus Returns (to make it accessible), Super Metroid and Fusion in the 2Ds, and Metroid Prime trilogy and maybe a reworked Prime hunters for the 3D case, all of those are great games even to this day, they have been too cautious? or uninterested after the Other M fiasco, and lots of people only know Samus as the sexy latex action Barbie-like girl with stupid high heels from Smash Bros for almost a decade now.

Last edited by foxmccloud64 - on 17 June 2021

As a person who genuinely liked Federation Force I still think it would be best to leave it behind. I still challenge people to play it before judging it, however. It's really not that bad of a game. People would have liked it a lot more if Nintendo simply said that they were working on a bigger Metroid game next to it.



Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism