By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Should Give Metroid Prime Federation Force Another Go

If they ever make another Metroid like that, I'd rather see a new one.

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:

Decent game had bad timing to be announced when the series had nothing to go for it in almost a decade back then.

Imagine if Triforce Heroes was announced when we hadn't got A Link Between Worlds or any 2D Zelda games since Spirit Tracks. People would've gone balistic too.

More like if we hadn't gotten any 2D Zelda games since Minish Cap.

Also, let's not forget that the very first footage we saw of Fed Force was of a Rocket League-like mini-game. People's first impression of FF very much appeared to be Metroid Soccer. I can't even remember if they showed footage of what the main crux of gameplay would be like in the reveal, but that should say something about how much they screwed that thing up from the get-go.

Last edited by burninmylight - on 16 June 2021

jason1637 said:

But Zelda games get spin-offs too. Just look at Hyrulr Warriors. Mario is Nintendo A rated biggest franchise and has been able to branch out to things like Mario General nis and Paper Mario which have grown their own canvases. Hyrulr Warriors seems to be doing the same with the Zelda IP. 

Mario General?

burninmylight said:
jason1637 said:

But Zelda games get spin-offs too. Just look at Hyrulr Warriors. Mario is Nintendo A rated biggest franchise and has been able to branch out to things like Mario General nis and Paper Mario which have grown their own canvases. Hyrulr Warriors seems to be doing the same with the Zelda IP. 

Mario General?

Sorry, Mario golf. Typed that on my phone and didnt get a chance to re read before i hit send

Illusion said:
jason1637 said:

This is true, but I think that part of the problem here is that it has been almost 15 years since we were given a proper 3D Metroid.  There have also been numerous subpar efforts since then such as Other M and Federation Force (even if it wasn't a terrible game, it was not well-received).  Imagine if this was the case with Zelda?  There comes a point where, as a fan, you wonder if Nintendo is even capable of supporting the franchise the way that they did in the generations past.  Putting out B-rated spinoffs during such a drought only reaffirms these doubts and creates frustration for us fans.

I think were at a point now that it should be safe for Nintendo to try another multiplayer Metroid spin off now. There is a traditional 3D Metroid in development and a 2D one is launching this October.

Around the Network

Ew, hell no.

Leave it in the dustbin of history where it belongs.

mZuzek said:
jason1637 said:

I think were at a point now that it should be safe for Nintendo to try another multiplayer Metroid spin off now. There is a traditional 3D Metroid in development and a 2D one is launching this October.

Yeah but like, what's the point?

I'd take any other kind of Metroid content instead of that. Samus Returns would greatly benefit from a port that removes it from the shackles of the 3DS. Metroid Prime Trilogy would be fantastic on the Switch and is still lingering far back on the Wii. Even Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion are currently unavailable on the Switch.

With all those games unavailable on their current platform, where they're trying to sell Metroid 5 and Metroid Prime 4... yeah, I wouldn't dislike more than a few ports/remasters. And ideally for the two main teams making the two games right now, would like to see them continue making more - in the case of MercurySteam, that in itself could mean a new take on traditional Metroid since Dread is supposed to be the end of the story arc up to this point.

I'm not against experimenting, but forcing multiplayer in a series that is traditionally single-player is just... no, why.

Because the gameplay would work for it and federation force is a fun game. A lot of Nintendo IPs nowadays either have multiplayer in the main game or spin-offs that have substantial multiplayer experiences and these games are traditionally single player IPs. There is a lack of FPS multiplayer shooters on the switch and Metroid is a franchise that can fill that niche. It’s not like they have to build from scratch, Federation Force can be a foundation.

curl-6 said:

Ew, hell no.

Leave it in the dustbin of history where it belongs.

I think a redemption arc would be nice.

Yeah, sure, why not. Had Federation Force looked like Dread, there wouldn't have been a backlash to begin with, maybe people would've become upset over the fact that Samus wasn't the protagonist, but that's it. Nonetheless, critics also say it is average, so this new attempt would need to step up its game as well.

But, again, why not. The idea behind it isn't terrible.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

The resources it would take would be better spent on a million other potential projects with more potential for both quality and commercial success frankly.