By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

My god, just suck it up and deal with it.

Ioi does the ads so he can pay the retailers provding him with sales info. Do you mind paying $14.95 a month to visit so the website can look cleaner?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Around the Network

"Just my two cents. "

THE NEXT TIME SOMEONE DOES THIS I AM GOING TO TAKE DOWN THE INTERNET.

Especially if they think they're being clever by putting $0.02.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.

Game_boy said:
"Just my two cents. "

THE NEXT TIME SOMEONE DOES THIS I AM GOING TO TAKE DOWN THE INTERNET.

Especially if they think they're being clever by putting $0.02.

I think you're taking it too seriously.  That's just my buck o' five, though.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I never read Ioi's explanation of the amazon widget, but what you described is a hopeful alternative to the numerous ads we have now.

AFAIK however, amazon pays only 4% commission on every item sold through one of its affiliates. After each game sold vgchartz will essentially be making about 2-2.5$. Ioi would probably find a better alternative with commission junction which pays a much higher commission after sold items.

Nonetheless the current setup of ads is becoming very obtrusive, unfortunately, and looking at most of the ads on here they're extremely untargeted which means ioi is getting an even smaller cut for each ad impression then would they be targeted to the demographic of the site. He would best start by fixing up his adsense account and making the ads far more targeted, because it's no surprise he isn't making much with the ads showing now.

dtewi said:

Ioi does the ads so he can pay the retailers provding him with sales info. Do you mind paying $14.95 a month to visit so the website can look cleaner?
 The thing is, the sales numbers on this site are largely innaccurate so no one in their right mind would pay a dime for them. And I seriously doubt ioi pays retailers for sales info.  As for the other guy mentioning advertising with the big guys, the diffiulty this site faces when doing that is that it still lacks credibility in the industry, Ioi first needs to work on making the numbers more accurate and once that happens sponsors would follow.

Around the Network

i don't see how the ads are intrusive... they're about average compared with other sites i visit. plus, it's actually improved so i'm quite happy about that.

the Wii is an epidemic.

If there is one guy on the intergoogles that I hope can make a living off of his efforts, then its the boss. That means cover all costs related to the site AND some nice money to live it up (50-100K* maybe?).

I mean look at the shithead from facebook who is now swimming in a freakin billion bucks.

*Pound that is

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

The sales numbers are generally within 10% which I judge to be very accurate considering the limited resources compared to professional trackers

Hi, i'm solojohlo and i'm pretty fucking awesome

billy07 said:
dtewi said:

The thing is, the sales numbers on this site are largely innaccurate so no one in their right mind would pay a dime for them. And I seriously doubt ioi pays retailers for sales info. As for the other guy mentioning advertising with the big guys, the diffiulty this site faces when doing that is that it still lacks credibility in the industry, Ioi first needs to work on making the numbers more accurate and once that happens sponsors would follow.

Ok...now that we understand your agenda...

solojohlo said:
The sales numbers are generally within 10% which I judge to be very accurate considering the limited resources compared to professional trackers
 The software numbers are largely off. The hardware numbers are solid.