By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

These past months you can't help but notice how much effort this site has put into making money off it's members in every way immaginable. I understand the hosting of this site is expensive, but the amount the webmaster of vgchartz probably makes considering the immense of traffic of this site and aggressive advertising is probably considerably more than what is enough to cover costs.

I'm taling about the numerous adsense ads, now there's an amazon affliate shop ad, new kontera ads and even paid for advertisements. For A site that according to the "advertise section" brings in over 3 million views a month and posts largely inaccurate sales numbers from a much smaller(unknown) sample compared to NPD this sort of in your face advertising feels uncomfortably aggressive and even alienating for members that don't want to be a part of another self made corporate website. Just my two cents.

Around the Network

i kinda agree
there are much more ads now than in the past

agrrred

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

Let us know in our new poll brought to you by the good people at McDonalds. I'm lov'n it!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Hey...if you want to start paying a premium to visit this site then feel free to complain. Otherwise, deal with it and find your own personal solution. Web-based economics is nothing new; we want something that ioi has...and the most we can do is not complain when he actually tries to make it worthwhile for himself.

Around the Network
stof said:
Vgchartz taking advertising too far?

Let us know in our new poll brought to you by the good people at McDonalds. I'm lov'n it!

ROFL

I mean I can handle it but it gets annoying once in a while 

There's more of them, but they aren't as bad as they used to be.

I'll always remember the "How to make your woman climax every single time!" one. That made me giggle.

spice it up man, we need the money. \
brought to you by spice gum, anything else is pure crap. lol

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

If you had read the post where Ioi announced the amazon widget, you would have learned 2 things:
1) Ioi wants to expand the site by hiring someone to work on it.
2) If the Amazon widget is successful, Ioi will consider eliminating the other ads.

Considering the annoyance of some of the other ads, the relative simplicity and unobtrusiveness of the Amazon widget, and the fact that the Amazon widget is way more useful to the vast majority of people on the site... I personally support this new move and hope that it is successful enough to justify eliminating the other ads altogether.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Since VG Chartz is quite a large site now (7,500th or so in the rankings), couldn't ioi negotiate personally with one of the big advertisers? The default, non-negotiated plans provide a fraction of the revenue that larger sites can get if they try.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.