By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Whether Switch has a shot at dethroning the DS will come down pretty much solely to how long it's supported for. If it's not replaced til 2024 (and is properly supported til then) it may very well come out on top.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 June 2021

Around the Network

DS will be tough, to be honest I'm not sure if Switch can outsell it.

I'm confident that the Switch will outsell the DS in the end.

The PS5 will easily outsell the PS3.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs PS4 Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 launched in November 2013, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. PS4 Global:

Gap change in latest month: 188,334 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 7,989,929 - Switch

Total Lead: 11,395,884 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

PS4 Total Sales: 74,927,976

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 188,334 units when compared to the PlayStation 4 during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the PlayStation 4 by 7.99 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the PlayStation 4 by 11.40 million units.

The 51st month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is May  2021, while for the PlayStation 4 it is January 2018. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the PlayStation 4 sold 74.93 million units during the same timeframe. The PlayStation 4 did not reach current Switch sales until month 61.

The PlayStation 4 has sold 115.65 million units through May 2021. The Nintendo Switch is currently 29.33 million units behind the lifetime sales of the PlayStation 4.

I'm not sure how, but these Switch vs. PS4 charts got changed to PS5 vs. PS3.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Xbox Series X|S vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - May 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Xbox Series X|S and Xbox 360.

The Xbox Series X|S launched in November 2020, while the Xbox 360 launched in November 2005 in North America and December 2005 in Europe and Japan. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

XSX|S Vs. X360 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 36,669 – XSX|S

Total Lead: 1,920,930 – XSX|S

Xbox Series X|S Total Sales: 5,217,300

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 3,296,370

May 2021 is the seventh month the Xbox Series X|S has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Xbox Series X|S when compared to the aligned launch of the Xbox 360 by 36,669 units. The Xbox Series X|S is currently ahead by 1.92 million units.

The Xbox Series X|S has sold 5.22 million units in six months, while the Xbox 360 sold 3.30 million. million units. Month seven for the Xbox Series X|S is May 2021 and for the Xbox One is May 2006.

The Xbox Series 360 did not reach current Xbox Series X|S sales until month 13 where it had sold 5.94 million units.

The Xbox 360 crossed 10 million units sold in month 19, 20 million in month 34, and 30 million in month 43. The Xbox 360 sold 85.81 million units lifetime.

Looking good for Xbox Series so far but the 360 had very long legs and a late peak, so XS has its work cut out for it staying ahead in the long term, it would be a near miracle if it sold more lifetime.

Yeah, short of a $250/$200 PS4 which is becoming less and less likely, PS3 and 360 got this. For all its sales power during its prime, PS4's late life legs aren't living up to its predecessors, and Xbone is already a non-factor.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

For all its sales power during its prime, PS4's late life legs aren't living up to its predecessors, and Xbone is already a non-factor.

Again, because they are not dropping the prices .. Xbox one should get price drop last year to 199$ or even 149$ for the base model

and the PS4 at least tp 199$. Then XB1 would do at least 1 or even 2M more, and PS4 at least some 5M more units.

I'm pretty sure Xbox One has gone on sale for $199 and even less numerous times.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

PS4 and Xbox One vs PS3 and Xbox 360 Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One with the combined aligned sales of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

The 91st month for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One is May 2021, while for the Xbox 360 it is May 2013 and for the PlayStation 3 it is May 2014. This does mean the holiday periods for all four consoles are lined up.

Now that we are far off along in Generation 8, I think it is become clear that PS+XBox did not sell higher in Generation 8.  It simply sold faster.

Why?  My best explanation has to do with the Wii (and also hardware prices).  The Wii sold really well for about the first 4 years which is also the time period where Generation 8 was gaining ground on Generation 7 in these charts.  After that the Wii sold poorly, while PS3+XBox360 came down to that $300 sweet spot that really drove sales.  Based on these charts I'd say about 25m people bought a Wii during the first few years of Gen 7 and then transitioned over to one of the other consoles after the first few years.

yo33331 said:
curl-6 said:

I'm pretty sure Xbox One has gone on sale for $199 and even less numerous times.

Yes.. only sometimes when some retail decides so .. only in some regions

I am talking about worldwide official price cut.

Remember 2009 ones ? when they annouce official pricecuts for both consoles worldwide the sales just explode.

That I am talking about.

Of course in this point in time they will not explode such massive but still, official permanent worldwide pricecut have much bigger effect than some small temporary pricecut for only some stores in only some country.

I just don't think there's any real demand left for the Xbox One, it was never a really popular console even at its peak, and now its replaced, including by a $300 version of its successor.

trunkswd said:

Share the article here.

Switch vs 3DS and Wii U Sales Comparison - May 2021 

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide Nintendo Switch sales with the combined Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U sales.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan), the Wii U launched in November 2012, and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The holiday periods between the Switch and 3DS lineup, however, the Wii U holiday is offset from the Switch.

Switch Vs. 3DS and Wii U Global:

Gap change in latest month: 1,307,336 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 17,928,173 - Switch

Total Lead: 21,665,231 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

3DS and Wii U Total Sales: 64,658,629

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the Switch by 1.31 million units when compared to the combined sales of the 3DS and Wii U during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the gap has grown in favor of the Switch by 17.93 million units. The Switch leads by 21.67 million units.

The 51st month for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, for the Nintendo 3DS it is May 2015 and for the Wii U it is November 2016. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the 3DS and Wii U have sold 64.55 million units during the same timeframe.

The 3DS and Wii U did not reach current Switch sales until month 93 where the two platforms sold a combined 86.79 million units.

The 3DS and Wii U have sold 89.50 million units lifetime. The Switch is 3.18 million units behind the 3DS and Wii U.

Almost there now; should overtake in the August comparison charts. Once this and maybe some others are finished, could we please get an Xbox Series vs 3DS chart? I think that'd make for a very interesting one.