By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Sales Comparison Charts May 2021 Discussion Thread

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Well, looking at those charts, it's pretty clear that Switch will outsell the PS4. Maybe even by a respectable lead.

The only thing that could stop it would be a new console from Nintendo next year. And I don't think that's going to happen, since we have some big titles coming in 2022, like Splatoon 3 and the BotW sequel.

As long as Nintendo doesn't replace it in the next couple of years I can see the Switch outselling the DS and PS2. If the Switch Pro rumors are true and it is a mid-gen upgrade that comes out this year or early next year I don't see a successor to the Switch until March 2024 or later. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl remakes are the biggest confirmed games for this holiday. While Metroid fans are excited for Dread, the series has never been that popular compared to other Nintendo franchises. 

I'm still holding out for Mario Odyssey 2 (or possibly a Galaxy 3 or 64 2.)

Yeah I don't think the Diamond/Pearl remakes will be system sellers as they're remakes of old games, low effort ones at that, and the Pokémon fanbase seems to already be on board by now. Switch will cruise out the rest of the year on its evergreen catalogue, which is enough for it to sell well, but I think hopes of a 30 million year are over.

I do own Lets Go Eevee and Sword, but Diamond/Pearl remakes don't interest me with how lazy it looks of a remake. Legends looks interesting. I just need to see more from it before deciding on buying it or not. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Share the article here.

Switch vs DS Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo DS.

The DS launched in November 2004 in North America, December 2004 in Japan, and March 2005 in Europe, while the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. DS Global:

Gap change in latest month: 22,644 - DS

Gap change over last 12 months: 1,103,062 - DS

Total Lead: 8,677,177 - DS

Switch Total Sales: 86,323,860

DS Total Sales: 95,001,037

May 2021 is the 51st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the DS by 22,644 units when compared to the Switch during the same timeframe. In the last 12 months, the DS has outsold the Switch by 1.10 million units. The DS is ahead of the Switch by 8.68 million units.

The 51st month on sale for the Nintendo Switch is May 2021, while for the DS it is January 2009. The Switch has sold 86.32 million units, while the DS sold 95.00 million units during the same timeframe.

The Nintendo DS sold 154.02 million units lifetime. The Nintendo Switch is currently 67.70 million units behind the lifetime sales of the DS.

Whether Switch has a shot at dethroning the DS will come down pretty much solely to how long it's supported for. If it's not replaced til 2024 (and is properly supported til then) it may very well come out on top.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 June 2021

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

DS will be tough, to be honest I'm not sure if Switch can outsell it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Whether Switch has a shot at dethroning the DS will come down pretty much solely to how long it's supported for. If it's not replaced til 2024 (and is properly supported til then) it may very well come out on top.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

DS will be tough, to be honest I'm not sure if Switch can outsell it.

This holiday is a good test. Can it close the gap to under 2 million again? If yes, it has a decent chance. 

I'm confident that the Switch will outsell the DS in the end.

Kakadu18 said:

I'm confident that the Switch will outsell the DS in the end.

I'm not so sure it will. It definitely has a shot at outselling the DS and if it does most likely the PS2 as well. I'm 50/50 on its odds. It will definitely outsell the PS4 and Game Boy. 

Share the article here.

PS5 vs PS3 Sales Comparison - May 2021

This monthly series compares the aligned worldwide sales of the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 3.

The PlayStation 5 launched in November 2020, while the PlayStation 3 launched in November 2006 in North America and Japan and in March 2007 in Europe. This does mean the holiday periods for the two consoles do lineup.

PS5 Vs. PS3 Worldwide:

Gap change in latest month: 578,662 - PS5

Total Lead: 5,286,066 - PS5

PlayStation 5 Total Sales 8,800,474

PlayStation 3 Total Sales: 3,514,408

May 2021 is the seventh month the PlayStation 5 has been available for. In the latest month, the gap grew in favor of the PlayStation 5 when compared to the aligned launch of the PlayStation 3 by 578,662 units. The PlayStation 5 is currently ahead by 5.29 million units.

The PlayStation 5 has sold 8.80 million units in seven months, while the PlayStation 3 sold 3.51 million units. Month seven for the PlayStation 5 is May 2021 and for the PlayStation 4 is May 2007.

The PlayStation 3 did not reach current PlayStation 5 sales until month 14 where it had sold 9.17 million units.

The PlayStation 3 crossed 10 million units sold in month 15, 20 million in month 27, and 30 million in month 38. The PlayStation 3 sold 87.4 million units lifetime.

The PS5 will easily outsell the PS3.