By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

Yeah, gamer drift happens. Game developers' greatest enemy truly is disinterest, not each other.

Reflecting on it, Epic saying such things against the Wii ultimately aligns perfectly with their business strategy at large. They make most of their money licensing engines they make, like the Unreal 3 engine. And if the Wii cannot run that engine, why would they want to support it? They'd have to develop a new engine entirely for Wii games, or rely on an older one (which doesn't make sense in the minds of many businessmen; that would seem a downgrade).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

@rocketpig not attacking your experience but have you considered maybe not a large enough market share can keep up with technology?

His company is known for pushing technology, in a sense he is the mainstream that he's seeking to please and by sharing his IP at a price, incites others to please them.

The issue is UE4 comes out in 3 years and it's well ahead of the PS3, meaning it's PC only , with this guys mentality Ps3 is old news and then what?

By no means does the next iteration of the Wii have to be par with the current PS3.

You slipped that in there and had me going "Patcher much?"

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
@rocketpig not attacking your experience but have you considered maybe not a large enough market share can keep up with technology?

His company is known for pushing technology, in a sense he is the mainstream that he's seeking to please and by sharing his IP at a price, incites others to please them.

The issue is UE4 comes out in 3 years and it's well ahead of the PS3, meaning it's PC only , with this guys mentality Ps3 is old news and then what?

By no means does the next iteration of the Wii have to be par with the current PS3.

UE4 will be aimed at the PS4 and Nextbox. Epic will find a way to get the engine running on at those consoles, even if they're a bit underpowered. There's too much money to be made from high definition middleware and that market will only grow as developer costs rise.

Riddle me this:

Why wouldn't the Wii 2 be on par with the 360 or PS3? Shit, if anything, it will be more powerful than either. By 2012, the high definition market will be very large and Nintendo's next machine will have to cater to that market. Besides, what's the point of replacing the Wii if its replacement isn't enough of an improvement to warrant the R&D costs? Why not just stick it out with the Wii until 2016 if that's the case?

Besides, by 2012, the Wii will have to be down to $100-120, meaning that Nintendo's hardware profit will be minimalized. It's in their best interest to replace the unit with a more upscale (and more profitable) model that can again reach the $250-300 price range. Using 5 year old tech (similar to 360/PS3) makes sense because it will be dirt cheap and they'll basically be selling a $250 machine with similar specs to the 360 and PS3, which will be in the $100-150 range at that point. They will also have momentum on their side going into launch and will have the opportunity to make even more money than they are now. And just like with the Wii, they will have developers slobbering at the thought of 360/PS3 ports for the new console.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

its for the best. Bad hardware can't handle the U3E. It can handle the Original unreal engine though. I think.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Shadowblind said:
its for the best. Bad hardware can't handle the U3E. It can handle the Original unreal engine though. I think.

You mean the original engine that came out in 1998? Yeah I think it can handle that....

Heck UE2 could work on the GC so it would definitely work on the Wii.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
BTW, did it occur to a single person in this thread that when the Wii replacement hits, it will probably be on par with the PS3 or 360?

Meaning that UE3 will run on it from launch... Why on Earth would Epic devote those kinds of resources to make a Wii engine when in 3-4 years, they'll have the Wii 2 market drop right into their lap?

Because all the developers who made a killing on the Wii and are looking to put out a Wii 2 version of their game will stick with a scaled-up version of the engine they used to make their Wii titles. Gamebryo, Quantum 3, various in-house engines such as Square's Crystal Tools and whatever Factor 5 is calling their creation.

I'm sure UE3 will be able to compete with all these engines, but ceding the Wii engine market away means that a lot of these devs will be tempted to use an old, familiar toolset revamped for Wii 2 rather than license a new, unfamiliar product.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Shadowblind said:

Do I have to put this link in every page of the thread?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/23/unreal-engine-3-coming-to-wii-but-not-by-epic/

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

rocketpig said:
dib8rman said:

UE4 will be aimed at the PS4 and Nextbox. Epic will find a way to get the engine running on at those consoles, even if they're a bit underpowered. There's too much money to be made from high definition middleware and that market will only grow as developer costs rise.

To back this up i'm fairly sure they said that UE 4 would actually be the first UE that caters to console games... and will be marketed to them first.  So if anything it "should" run as well on the consoles as PCs the engine itself will be a little less powerful, well unless they go back on their word. 

@rocketpig: I'd say that UE4 will be on Nintendos next console, as well as to the other next-gen consoles.
I'd also say, that the next gen consoles won't be noticeably more powerful than the current generation consoles, around 2-3 times as powerful as PS3, with single processors.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

bdbdbd said:
@rocketpig: I'd say that UE4 will be on Nintendos next console, as well as to the other next-gen consoles.
I'd also say, that the next gen consoles won't be noticeably more powerful than the current generation consoles, around 2-3 times as powerful as PS3, with single processors.

It's possible that UE4 could run on Nintendo's next console, though I doubt it because developers will have the quite-capable UE3 to run on it already.

We won't go back to single processors... Multi-core is here to stay. The benefits of multi-core greatly outweigh the marginal extra cost. As for pure processing power, I agree. We won't see a huge leap in the next generation of consoles... Nintendo has proven that it just isn't necessary. Besides, games will easily be running 1080p with even a marginal boost in power.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/