By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - epic games wont ever make games for the wii

bdbdbd said:
ToastyJaguar said:

Who brought the Red Steal game for the Wii? That uses Epics engine. So stop complaining lol

There just not creating any new middleware for use on the Wii because their previous engines can easily be used on the Wii by other developers.

So Epic does make money off the Wii in other ways.

From Wikipedia

The associate producer of Red Steel Jean-Baptiste Duval, said in an interview with Australian video game magazine Hyper that the game runs on a modified Unreal Engine 2.5. He said that much of the Ubisoft staff had worked on the engine and knew its strengths and weaknesses. The graphics of the game have been designed to achieve a defining artistic style rather than photorealism.

The thing is, that UE 2.5 isn't the most optimal engine for Wii (as the wiki article said: modified) and i have hard time to believe that Epic would be really making money with Wii by having two games use its engine. Or can someone tell me how common Unreal Engine is in Wii games? Redsteel propably wasn't the best example of showing the systems power (although, it was one of the best looking launch games), so maybe a Wii specific engine would be preferred by the developers.

Ok this is going to be my last post on this topic.

Epic are always making improvements on their game engine, right now that is the Unreal 3 engine and Unreal 4 is being researched by Tim Sweeney the CEO of Epic. They invest huge sums of cash into creating next gen game engines and i'm not saying the Wii isn't next gen but what Epic are creating now is not possible to be implemented on the Wii, if it could, then they would. Alot of effort is put into creating the Unreal 3 engine, they are not going to go back to the Unreal 2 engine and optimise it for the Wii because there is little money to be had, the real money for them is in next gen titles like Gears of War 2.

So a lot of people are complaining about the virus comment, it is his view, respect that, other people at Epic will no doubt have other views of the Wii and they probably love it.

What i'm trying to say is, if your going to have a go at Epic for not creating games on the Wii, then you may aswell have a go at Nintendo for making their console's hardware unable to run the Unreal 3 engine. See what i'm getting at?

There you have it. Don't hate me for it though...

Around the Network

Most people must have missed the post where I put the link saying that UE3 is in fact being ported to the Wii (though not by Epic).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

dib8rman said:
I really get hurt when people say something like:

"I bought (insert console here) played a 'game' and (sold it the next day or never played it again or sold it later)"

Since when did the console make the games?

If they didn't like the controller or they wanted HD or Dvd movies or something the Wii doesn't, isn't and seems like it will never offer then sure.

Aside from that comments like the above should just be tossed into the:

"Processor lolsz!" section.

For the record - the Xbox had the most horse power "last gen" but the ugliest chip set and was only able to go about 17 million polygons (The highest count is 16 currently) without serious frame drops, the GC could go IDK but the highest count is 20 million atm rendered on the screen at one time, by todays standards thats amazing still, specially to do that in HD, not sure if they have yet, but thats expensive.

So saying the Wii is graphically under par is true if your saying the PS3 is par.

Ok there...can you put down a refference for this bold statement?

I've read different reports stating that xbox could do 30 mil easily in real game conditions and 125 mil without other effects. Not to mention render in 480 and 720p.

http://faq.teamxbox.com/detail/1/Xbox-Console-FirstGeneration/

I've also read that Gamecube could do 32 mil max and 12 mil with in game effects.

NJ5 said:
Most people must have missed the post where I put the link saying that UE3 is in fact being ported to the Wii (though not by Epic).

Can you share a link then please, that's quite interesting

NJ5 is correct and many of you people seem to be repeatedly missing this major point.

Disolitude, you're going to find conflicting reports about polygon count. The most I've been told by developers is 18 million with in game effects for both Xbox and GC. 30 million on Xbox with in game effects is blatant BS unless it was running at 10 fps.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
ToastyJaguar said:
bdbdbd said:
ToastyJaguar said:

Who brought the Red Steal game for the Wii? That uses Epics engine. So stop complaining lol

There just not creating any new middleware for use on the Wii because their previous engines can easily be used on the Wii by other developers.

From Wikipedia

The associate producer of Red Steel Jean-Baptiste Duval, said in an interview with Australian video game magazine Hyper that the game runs on a modified Unreal Engine 2.5. He said that much of the Ubisoft staff had worked on the engine and knew its strengths and weaknesses. The graphics of the game have been designed to achieve a defining artistic style rather than photorealism.

The thing is, that UE 2.5 isn't the most optimal engine for Wii (as the wiki article said: modified) and i have hard time to believe that Epic would be really making money with Wii by having two games use its engine. Or can someone tell me how common Unreal Engine is in Wii games? Redsteel propably wasn't the best example of showing the systems power (although, it was one of the best looking launch games), so maybe a Wii specific engine would be preferred by the developers.

Epic are always making improvements on their game engine, right now that is the Unreal 3 engine and Unreal 4 is being researched by Tim Sweeney the CEO of Epic. They invest huge sums of cash into creating next gen game engines and i'm not saying the Wii isn't next gen but what Epic are creating now is not possible to be implemented on the Wii, if it could, then they would. Alot of effort is put into creating the Unreal 3 engine, they are not going to go back to the Unreal 2 engine and optimise it for the Wii because there is little money to be had, the real money for them is in next gen titles like Gears of War 2.

So a lot of people are complaining about the virus comment, it is his view, respect that, other people at Epic will no doubt have other views of the Wii and they probably love it.

What i'm trying to say is, if your going to have a go at Epic for not creating games on the Wii, then you may aswell have a go at Nintendo for making their console's hardware unable to run the Unreal 3 engine. See what i'm getting at?

Well you've got the right idea... but the wrong application of it. Their real money isn't in next gen games like gears of war 2. It's in next gen games NOT like gears of war 2. Their real money is in games that they don't make. That use the unreal engine.

Which a much greater number of PS360 developers are going to use then Wii developers do to the Wii's ease of use and lower costs. The unreal engine's main bonus is that it's cheaper to liscense then create your own.

Therefore the demand on such middleware is going to be much higher on a system that has 4 times the development costs.

They could make a game on the Wii, and it is going to profit a lot more then say... Unreal Tournament, however it isn't going to be a demo of the unreal engine which is their main product.

They have to keep looking "ahead" technology wise so they are sure they always have one of the better engines to liscense. 

ToastyJaguar said:
NJ5 said:

Can you share a link then please, that's quite interesting

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/23/unreal-engine-3-coming-to-wii-but-not-by-epic/

Epic Vice President Mark Rein has said repeatedly that they will not port their popular Unreal Engine 3 to the Wii, but that isn't stopping others from doing the conversion for them. In an interview with Kikizo, Rein has stated that an unnamed licensee is bringing the engine to Nintendo's console.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Kasz216 said:
ToastyJaguar said:
bdbdbd said:
ToastyJaguar said:

From Wikipedia

Well you've got the right idea... but the wrong application of it. Their real money isn't in next gen games like gears of war 2. It's in next gen games NOT like gears of war 2. Their real money is in games that they don't make. That use the unreal engine.

Which a much greater number of PS360 developers are going to use then Wii developers do to the Wii's ease of use and lower costs. The unreal engine's main bonus is that it's cheaper to liscense then create your own.

Therefore the demand on such middleware is going to be much higher on a system that has 4 times the development costs.

They could make a game on the Wii, and it is going to profit a lot more then say... Unreal Tournament, however it isn't going to be a demo of the unreal engine which is their main product.

That's what i meant. Nex- gen games like Gears of War. A game that uses the Unreal 3 engine like Bioshock or Mass     Effect is next-gen.

ToastyJaguar said:
Kasz216 said:
ToastyJaguar said:
bdbdbd said:
ToastyJaguar said:

From Wikipedia

That's what i meant. Nex- gen games like Gears of War. A game that uses the Unreal 3 engine like Bioshock or Mass Effect is next-gen.

Except it's not. Cause it's the same generation. It's a higher level of techonology that uses the current unreal engine, however unreal doesn't determine the generations. A more accurate term is "Unreal Engien 3 using games."

Or games that use the current generation of unreal engine.  As next gen urneal engine is UE4.

I've read people saying the PS2 had 60 million polys and that the GC had 12 million.

Don't want you to think I'm running from this so, just give me a sec to google it.

(I can't remember my source as I read the article just after the Wii's specs were announced.)

The article I read was a direct comparison, but heres basically GC, I'll get Xbox and edit as soon as I find it.

link:  http://tinyurl.com/4a4osq

link 2: http://tinyurl.com/4p3vlc

Link 2 is the xbox one 

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D