By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Movies/Shows You Thought Would Suck But Didn't?

Any movies or shows you had low expectations for that then really pleasantly surprised you when you gave it a chance?

The commercials for How To Train Your Dragon made it look like the most childish drivel I'd seen in ages. I reluctantly accompanied my little brother to see it in theaters and was shocked at how good it was. It's become one of my favorite animated films.

Around the Network

I can think of a couple of those for me

John Wick.
Expected it to be bad, wasnt really looking forward to it. Keanu Reeves was pretty much a washed up actor at the time, nothing from the trailers made me think the film would stand out in any way, shape or form. Came out and was a blast.

Split.
I had zero hopes for anything directed by MNightShylaman at that point. Wasnt even planning on watching Split until the critical reception convinced me otherwise.
Shame Glass wasnt as good.

GLOW.
Gorgeous Women Of Wrestling? Didnt care for it one bit. Watched just recently because a friend recommended it constantly. Loved it. Shame it was cancelled after only 3 seasons.

Bojack Horseman.
The animation style repelled me at first. And yet, now it is my favorite animated show ever. 10/10.

Dark Matter. It actually got quite enjoyable after a while. Of course as always with Sci-fi tv, as soon as something gets good it gets cancelled.

Love and Monsters, when Netflix recommended that I thought it would be pure trash. It still doesn't have a right to work at all, but I quite liked it, my wife and kids got into it as well. A rarity.

Alita battle angel was quite good as well, saw it on a plane ride otherwise I would never have watched it.

I expected Pacific Rim to be basically just a Transformers rip-off but it turned out to be one of my favorite action movies.

Other than that, I don't usually watch movies that I don't think I'll like so I can't think of anything.

I went into Godzilla vs Kong expecting the worst but ended up really enjoying it.

Around the Network

Ugly Americans. Back when I used to watch Comedy Central fairly often. I didn't really plan to watch it, but left it on for a little bit, probably because there was nothing else to watch. At first I thought I was going through some weird phase; it didn't seem like something I should enjoy, but the more I watched it the more I loved it. So sad it ended after 2 seasons.

Initially when i heard about the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, i thought it was going to be one of the under-performing game movies. In fact, it proved me wrong.

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Ready player one