By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces new game: Game Builder Garage (Releasing June 11th)

How interested are you in this title?

Game of the Year 2021! 4 10.00%

I'm very interested in this title 11 27.50%

I'm somewhat interested in this title 12 30.00%

I'm indifferent to this title 10 25.00%

I'm disinterested in this title 3 7.50%

This isn't Breath of the Wild 2, Nintendo... 0 0%

Total:40

I always find making games a totally unfunny experience, the hardcore programming is a mix of science and engineering which I love, but coding isn't all what games are about we need creativity and artistic vision which I severely lack. I joined two or three game programming teams in college (they are very abundant I can easily say a third of IT students dreams to be game developers), it was the moment when indie games were booming 

Ultimately never could get myself really into the art always resorting in coding whatever anyone else decided for me and even the most basic Unity games are a nightmare of bugs and mechanics to polish, I just dropped and started to study fields that interests me more like Statistics and Machine Learning 

That's said I'm truly curious to see what Nintendo is bringing in. Even if I myself don't enjoy making games, I hope this game becomes a success. This is actually some kind of Software I've seen many professors and scholars trying to create: A software to teach people (generally kids) high-level programming. This game can be really meaningful for future teaching graduates let's see what Nintendo is bringing in

Around the Network

Very cool. Take Mario Maker, a dash of Labo sans cardboard, and generalize it. A great offbeat creative game coming out of nowhere and only five weeks away! My only concern is that apparently you can only share your games with your Switch friends or locally over wifi. If that is true that is just another boneheaded move by Nintendo to intentionally hamstring a promising product. Open this up so you can play anyone's game and this could be a hit.

Like every new IP from Nintendo this gen, its not for me.

KLXVER said:

I will say, while I'm personally interested in this title, it would be nice to get one new IP from Nintendo EPD that's traditional on the Switch. I guess you could say Arms is kind of close, but it didn't feel quite there. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
KLXVER said:

I will say, while I'm personally interested in this title, it would be nice to get one new IP from Nintendo EPD that's traditional on the Switch. I guess you could say Arms is kind of close, but it didn't feel quite there. 

Yeah I feel similarly, as nice as it is to see them trying experimental stuff, none of their new IPs on Switch live up to their core franchises. Splatoon's still their last new IP I felt was worthy and that was 6 years ago.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Have you played Astral Chain?

curl-6 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Yeah I feel similarly, as nice as it is to see them trying experimental stuff, none of their new IPs on Switch live up to their core franchises. Splatoon's still their last new IP I felt was worthy and that was 6 years ago.

Ahem, Astral Chain.

HoangNhatAnh said:
KLXVER said:

Have you played Astral Chain?

Well I consider that a Platinum Games game. Just like The Wonderful 101. But if you count it, then sure, I like 1 new IP from Nintendo this gen.

mZuzek said:
KLXVER said:

Well I consider that a Platinum Games game. Just like The Wonderful 101. But if you count it, then sure, I like 1 new IP from Nintendo this gen.

The difference being that Nintendo gave the Wonderful 101 IP to Platinum because they didn't see value in it anymore, whereas they bought Astral Chain from Platinum because they probably see a big future for it. And now that future is guaranteed to always be Nintendo exclusive unfortunately.

Either way, the game would've turned out a lot different had Nintendo not been involved. They played a big part in establishing what the IP is, even if they didn't develop the game.

True, but at the time of release they were both in the same situation. So if Astral Chain counts, then TW101 should count as well.

Kids are so much luckier with stuff like this these days, game development/design was so much harder in the past.