By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox Series X|S Lifetime Sales Predictions

How well do you think Xbox Series X|S will sell lifetime?

Under 25 million 2 3.13%

25-50 million 11 17.19%

50-75 million 38 59.38%

75-100 million 11 17.19%

100+ million 2 3.13%

Total:64
Kyuu said:
holzi said:

Why would they stop supporting Series S? They likely already sold millions of it and it leads to them having the cheapest 'next gen' console on the market which makes it an enticing option for parents, people who mostly play the yearly FIFA/Madden/COD and everyone with a tight budget. Also there is practically no technical reason to not continue scaling down the resolution down a bit and simply releasing the game on Series S.

You yourself said that Series X should sell well once first party output starts. Xbox One never sold well and still managed to sell 50 million consoles. In general I don't get how it should manage to sell less than One except if the console space starts to shrink in the near future in general. And nobody is predicting that right now. 

1. Phil Spencer downplayed the significance of hardware sales.

2. Series S has been widely available in parts of Europe and Australia despite the limited production (Series X on the other hand tends to sell out within minutes). This doesn't bode well at all for its future in these regions.

3. The hardware isn't a great value compared to Series X, PS5/5DE, and soon Switch Pro. These consoles in addition to the standard Switch, Switch Lite, and PC, will completely overshadow it.

4. Aggressive Xbox ONE pricing (+ Game Pass!) barely helped it remain somewhat competitive in its best region; the US. Why would the Series S be any better? Hardware wise, PS5DE is a far better deal (MUCH bigger gap than X1S vs PS4). If Sony manages to manufacture a decent amount of them, MS is gonna have to undercut them by $150 if they REALLY want to compete.

5. DLSS is a game changer. Assuming Switch Pro supports it, it wouldn't surprise me if it's capable of somewhat comparable performance at just $50 more (I'm expecting slightly higher resolutions, but lower fps and settings). The Series S is underpowered right out of the gate, but Tensor Core and AMD's future equivalent are about to make things worse. "Super Resolution" alone won't cut it; as far as I know, the hardware itself is the problem. Series X and PS5 can reduce the damage of lacking a proper DLSS equivalent with brute force. Series S has nothing and will age like milk! I'd be shocked if MS continued to support it throughout the generation like they promised.

Playstation's momentum and 1st party growth constantly get underestimated. Microsoft is taking too long to respond meaningfully, which will cost them. Xbox Studios expansion won't necessarily sell too many Xbox consoles if the PS5 install base entices Microsoft to release games on it. What MS decides to do with Bethesda will be vital to hardware sales. If they make them exclusive (disregarding the active PS5 userbase and the potential decline in software sales), the Series XS may reach or exceed the high end of my prediction. If they don't, I honestly just don't see it getting there!

I'll bump this thread in a year or two if VGC and myself are still around.

2.  Add to that the very little supply MS sent to regions outside of the US. The gap in theese regions wich are already heavy sony sided is gona be bigger than last gen. These region should not be neglected by MS as by the time their games might show up the entire region might be deep blue. And the US and UK alone are not gona help grow the installbase from the x1.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Speaking off @trunkswrd doew the UK have sales data? Any way to remove it from the EU total to see whats the impact in the other regions?

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Kyuu said:
holzi said:

Why would they stop supporting Series S? They likely already sold millions of it and it leads to them having the cheapest 'next gen' console on the market which makes it an enticing option for parents, people who mostly play the yearly FIFA/Madden/COD and everyone with a tight budget. Also there is practically no technical reason to not continue scaling down the resolution down a bit and simply releasing the game on Series S.

You yourself said that Series X should sell well once first party output starts. Xbox One never sold well and still managed to sell 50 million consoles. In general I don't get how it should manage to sell less than One except if the console space starts to shrink in the near future in general. And nobody is predicting that right now. 

1. Phil Spencer downplayed the significance of hardware sales.

2. Series S has been widely available in parts of Europe and Australia despite the limited production (Series X on the other hand tends to sell out within minutes). This doesn't bode well at all for its future in these regions.

3. The hardware isn't a great value compared to Series X, PS5/5DE, and soon Switch Pro. These consoles in addition to the standard Switch, Switch Lite, and PC, will completely overshadow it.

4. Aggressive Xbox ONE pricing (+ Game Pass!) barely helped it remain somewhat competitive in its best region; the US. Why would the Series S be any better? Hardware wise, PS5DE is a far better deal (MUCH bigger gap than X1S vs PS4). If Sony manages to manufacture a decent amount of them, MS is gonna have to undercut them by $150 if they REALLY want to compete.

5. DLSS is a game changer. Assuming Switch Pro supports it, it wouldn't surprise me if it's capable of somewhat comparable performance at just $50 more (I'm expecting slightly higher resolutions, but lower fps and settings). The Series S is underpowered right out of the gate, but Tensor Core and AMD's future equivalent are about to make things worse. "Super Resolution" alone won't cut it; as far as I know, the hardware itself is the problem. Series X and PS5 can reduce the damage of lacking a proper DLSS equivalent with brute force. Series S has nothing and will age like milk! I'd be shocked if MS continued to support it throughout the generation like they promised.

Playstation's momentum and 1st party growth constantly get underestimated. Microsoft is taking too long to respond meaningfully, which will cost them. Xbox Studios expansion won't necessarily sell too many Xbox consoles if the PS5 install base entices Microsoft to release games on it. What MS decides to do with Bethesda will be vital to hardware sales. If they make them exclusive (disregarding the active PS5 userbase and the potential decline in software sales), the Series XS may reach or exceed the high end of my prediction. If they don't, I honestly just don't see it getting there!

I'll bump this thread in a year or two if VGC and myself are still around.

Xbox isn't going to stop supporting the Series S and there is zero evidence to back that claim up.

The parts I highlighted are irrelevant to the general public when deciding on what console to buy, and the Series S was not designed for the enthusiast such as those on a video game forum who care about those things. As long as it's getting the same games and services as the Series X, then people will buy it. It's funny, the reactions I've seen from those who actually own a Series S have been overwhelmingly positive regardless of it being less powerful. 

Using the past generation as a measuring stick is irrelevant. To humor your point though, The X1 fate was sealed after it's disasters reveal and bad press early on. Not much was going to possibly remedy the issue except if it got excellent exclusives throughout it's generation, which it didn't. The Series X|S has way more going for it now than the X1 ever did, and a service like Game Pass that launched late in the gen wasn't going to fix it. 

Playstation is definitely not underestimated in any regard lol. The fact you still believe there is a possibility for Bethesda games(besides those with contractual obligations) will still come to Ps5, shows you have no idea. They already commented on this so it's time to leave this idea behind. 

Regarding the main topic, I picked 50-75M. Seems like a safe bet for the Series X|S to at least outsell the X1. My estimation is 65-85M. 

77 mil

trunkswd said:
eva01beserk said:

Speaking off @trunkswrd doew the UK have sales data? Any way to remove it from the EU total to see whats the impact in the other regions?

Xbox Series X|S sales in Europe:

Europe with UK: 1,414,984

UK: 557,942

Europe without UK: 857,042

So the UK is 11.75% of the total xbox series sales so far. While EU is 29.79%.

Add that the US is 55.37% of the sales. We are now talking that 67% of the sales is coming from 2 regions.

The x1 ended up with the US making 64.12% of its sales and EU 24.73%

If we are taking those numbers at face value we see that so far the series has gained a little market in EU. Some more in rest of world. But these are very early numbers. We know of many regions where the series s is readily on stock. Not to mention that thus time the xbox launched in more than 13 markets. This tells me that the US gap will increase some more as the supply issue stabilised. 

Again the xbox needs to appeal more to the rest of the world. As long as it dosent the increase some people seem to think will never happen. The US & UK are big markets. But they are small compared to the rest of the world. 

Around the Network

I'm still not entirely sure that Bethesda's future games will even be console exclusives, I'm expecting stuff like the next Elder Scrolls, Doom, etc to be timed exclusives on Xbox so folks will just wait for them to hit PS5.

curl-6 said:

I'm still not entirely sure that Bethesda's future games will even be console exclusives, I'm expecting stuff like the next Elder Scrolls, Doom, etc to be timed exclusives on Xbox so folks will just wait for them to hit PS5.

Things far off are sure to be build from the ground up for Xbox and therefore exclusive. Games coming out soon like starfield will sure to come to the ps5. Theres no way a game thats almost ready they will just dump and say no to PlayStation. Pretty much anything releasing this year and next year from bethesda I think will come to PlayStation. 

65m tops.

It seems to be a big difference between Xbox optimists and pessimists, and optimists seem to be homogeneous people who accept the claims of the gaming media (many of them prefer xbox Brand the most).
Pessimists are very unique.
Each person has a different opinion because they think for themself.

Kyuu said:
smroadkill15 said:

Xbox isn't going to stop supporting the Series S and there is zero evidence to back that claim up.

The parts I highlighted are irrelevant to the general public when deciding on what console to buy, and the Series S was not designed for the enthusiast such as those on a video game forum who care about those things. As long as it's getting the same games and services as the Series X, then people will buy it. It's funny, the reactions I've seen from those who actually own a Series S have been overwhelmingly positive regardless of it being less powerful. 

Using the past generation as a measuring stick is irrelevant. To humor your point though, The X1 fate was sealed after it's disasters reveal and bad press early on. Not much was going to possibly remedy the issue except if it got excellent exclusives throughout it's generation, which it didn't. The Series X|S has way more going for it now than the X1 ever did, and a service like Game Pass that launched late in the gen wasn't going to fix it. 

Playstation is definitely not underestimated in any regard lol. The fact you still believe there is a possibility for Bethesda games(besides those with contractual obligations) will still come to Ps5, shows you have no idea. They already commented on this so it's time to leave this idea behind. 

Regarding the main topic, I picked 50-75M. Seems like a safe bet for the Series X|S to at least outsell the X1. My estimation is 65-85M. 

"Xbox isn't going to stop supporting the Series S and there is zero evidence-"

An underpowered console's support is decided by its sales. Microsoft won't blindly support the Series S if the sales are weak in comparison to the much more expensive model. They will be inclined to drop/replace it (as a mandatory extension) otherwise it would hold back the Series X and eventually the MidGen upgrade(s) for little to no return. They can't allow Sony to keep destroying them with visual and technical juggernauts.

"The parts I highlighted are irrelevant to-"

It's already struggling to sell the small amount of stock they have available in the regions I mentioned, because the demand just isn't high. PS5 at roughly 4X more stock (likely much more but I'm assuming the XS split is 50/50) and $100-200 higher pricetag is selling out near instantly everywhere. The difference in demand is staggering.

"Using the past generation as a measuring stick is irrelevant-"

The "disastrous reveal" had a minimal impact on the average consumer buying a product in 2017-2019 when Xbox ONE S was still struggling despite Game Pass, backwards compatibility hype, consumer-friendliness!!!, and the aggressive prices. It's clear MS hasn't done enough to slow down Playstation's momentum, which may or may not cause them to lose more potential consumers than they will gain.

The Series XS is actually doing a few things worse that forum dwellers overlook or forget about. The X1 had a notably stronger first year lineup than PS4 and Series XS. It was fairly packed with great looking new true exclusives, platform exclusives, and well received games. Series XS has one mediocre timed exclusive, some ports, and the Craig demo disaster. Whereas PS5 is doing everything better than PS4 barring the whole "consumer friendly" thing and price advantage (though they do have the price advantage over Series X) which both get oversold by a lot of people (Perceived value >>> Price).

"Playstation is definitely not underestimated in any regard lol-"

Yes it is. And I've already said I don't trust Microsoft's word. The market will influence Microsoft's, Sony's, and Nintendo's decisions. Not everything they claim or promise early in a generation is set in stone; you're being naive. The larger the install base disparity by the time Bethesda deliver their games, the less likely it is for MS to ignore it. It's anyone's guess, but completely denying that possibility is ridiculous. My bet is some will be exclusive and others timed-exclusive.

I'm not going to go back and forth with someone who thinks MS is just going to abandon one of their consoles because it's not selling out in certain regions lol. It's still selling out in most countries, and most importantly in the United States where it will sell the most. I've still never seen one in any store I've been. 

"They can't allow Sony to keep destroying them with visual and technical juggernauts." Okay buddy, whatever you say. 

Obviously the Ps5 is selling amazingly well, and was always going to sell more than the Series X|S. That doesn't mean MS needs to go into panic mode. 

Btw for the 100th time this has been said, Phil already said Bethesda games won't be coming to systems not supporting Game Pass or if they have prior obligations ie Tokyo Ghostwire. Unless Sony allows Game Pass on their system, which they won't, then those games won't be on there. 

You talk more about Sony even though this is a prediction thread about Xbox. It's not hard to see bs console warring you are trying to ignite. I'm done with this conversation.