By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Lifetime Sales Predictions

How well do you think PS5 will sell lifetime?

Under 50 million 2 1.38%

50-75 million 4 2.76%

75-100 million 24 16.55%

100-125 million 85 58.62%

125-150 million 29 20.00%

150+ million 1 0.69%

Total:145
IcaroRibeiro said:
Runa216 said:

GamePass was released first on June 1st 2017. Almost four years ago, now. And the Sony brand has only increased in reputation since then. There seems to be little to no correlation or causation between them. 

I find it so odd how insistent people are that GamePass is going to change the industry. (PSNow, as well). If it was going to, it would have had a larger impact by now. As it stands, the reality of the situation is that it's good for a niche audience but the nature of games as an interactive medium means it really won't ever replace owning games. They've have plenty of time to prove its usefulness, and while it certainly has its appeals and certainly has its audience, it's not as big a mover and a shaker as people insist. 

Honestly, the only correlation/causal links I can find that differentiates Nintendo/Sony from Microsoft are exclusives and unique gameplay opportunities or features. I just...come on guys, go with the data. 

Ok boomer

We talk in 10 years if we still here

PM sent

Exactly, it's too early to tell and what we've seen so far is NOT lining up with the narrative people have been pushing. if I'm wrong and 10 years from now the  entire industry has changed...well, then that will suck for the rest of us. It's been 4 years, that's a long time in the games industry and PSNow and Gamepass, although popular, are not as widespread and influential as many people claim. 

It's like Scott Pilgrim vs the World. it was well-reviewed, well-liked, and stunningly gorgeous, but no matter how good it was it didn't translate to a huge box office because the market for gamers into quirky, high-energy movies about Canadian living video game characters is not that big. Those who watched and liked that movie LOVED it, but the market is tiny. Gamepass has a market, but the, what, 18 million gamers on there is a tiny fraction of the total gaming populace. and a huge portion of those are on PC. It's really not doing that much for Xbox or Sony. It's having a tiny little effect on consoles, positive or negative. 

I don't personally like game subscriptions but I want it to succeed because it's good to have options. However, the reality is that...it's really not having that significant of an effect regardless of its critical reception or Microsoft/Sony's insistence on it being the future of gaming. Too many people still like owning their games, or already have a huge collection. It will be years before a new generation starts from scratch and finds it easier to just buy GamePass/Now than keep the games they already own. 

I could be wrong, but all signs point to this being the case, at least for now. You can't dictate your on reality based on theories and wishes and hope. that's not how this works. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
ice said:
curl-6 said:

If it was really such a system seller I reckon we'd have see Xbone get a late life bump and the Series S being sold out as well. Guess for now we will just have to agree to disagree and see where things go.

I will reinstate that sub services take a while to build up, Gamepass on Xbox One didn't have the day 1 3rd party releases and MS's first party didn't have the studios to support such a service, things are vastly different now. 

How ? There is no new 1st party title since November last year, it's got even worse from this perspective actually.

SKMBlake said:
ice said:

I will reinstate that sub services take a while to build up, Gamepass on Xbox One didn't have the day 1 3rd party releases and MS's first party didn't have the studios to support such a service, things are vastly different now. 

How ? There is no new 1st party title since November last year, it's got even worse from this perspective actually.

Some people just want to believe and have hope, man! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

SKMBlake said:
ice said:

People here thinking that every studio added translated to a game added like if they are playing the studio themselves. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

SKMBlake said:
ice said:

Oh dear god, the anti-Xbox people are after me

I never once mentioned their output, i said they now have the studios to support such a service. You keep driving this point about their output being weak this year, something that myself and others have agreed on. If you don’t think going from 4 to 23 studios is a vast difference in MS’s first party, idk what to tell you. If you think future output with 23 studios is going to comparable to the 4 studios during the Xbox one era, i still don’t know what to tell you. 

edit: Literally not even worth a reply and I don't want to move this thread off-topic.

Last edited by ice - on 20 May 2021

Around the Network

too early to say, but i think +100m is very likely

Error post 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

ice said:
SKMBlake said:

I never once mentioned their output, i said they now have the studios to support such a service. You keep driving this point about their output being weak this year, something that myself and others have agreed on. If you don’t think going from 4 to 23 studios is a vast difference in MS’s first party, idk what to tell you. If you think future output with 23 studios is going to comparable to the 4 studios during the Xbox one era, i still don’t know what to tell you. 

Calling me "anti-Xbox" (which I am not btw, I have Game Pass, and I like the service) kind of proves my point actually.

And it's like in every discussion, "they have 23 studios", been repeated over and over as the sole argument against "what about the games ?"

Do I think the output of 23 studios will be similar to 4 studios ? No, of course not. But I also don't put a huge amount of faith in studio amount, that metric was never been a thing until now and I don't see why it would matter now.

SKMBlake said:
ice said:

Calling me "anti-Xbox" (which I am not btw, I have Game Pass, and I like the service) kind of proves my point actually.

And it's like in every discussion, "they have 23 studios", been repeated over and over as the sole argument against "what about the games ?"

Do I think the output of 23 studios will be similar to 4 studios ? No, of course not. But I also don't put a huge amount of faith in studio amount, that metric was never been a thing until now and I don't see why it would matter now.

Right? Like, don't get me wrong, having 23 studios is a big deal, in theory. None of that matters if none of them are making games with any semblance of consistency or quality. we've yet to see any shocking new games come from this, anything new or interesting or fun. 

Insomniac alone has released more high-quality games since PS5 released alone than all of Microsoft's 23 have put together since the Xbox Series X released. and we're talking high metacritic, good-selling games. you know, ones people actually talk about and are buying. That's not to say that we won't see a sudden boom 2-3 years from now, but we've been hearing this story for a decade now. I WANT GAMES. I WANT to see more new and unique stuff coming out. I want to see all this money and investment capital being put to good use. Even if I don't get an Xbox I do know plenty of people who game on PC and would love for there to be even more games for them to play. I know plenty of people who have GamePass and would love to try out all this other stuff. 

All the potential in the world means nothing if nothing is coming of it. People need to stop using this 'they have 23 studios' argument until we actually see something come of it. (and for the record, I also was skeptical of Sony's claim of '25 new exclusives, half of which are new IP' claim. I'd love for this to be true but it just sounds way too lofty to not come with a heap of salt and caveats)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

For game pass when very big games like Elder Scrolls 6 are on the service day 1 that will have an impact for sure. Unless Microsoft screws up with game pass or a very good competing service is introduced soon I'll be surprised if the total subscription number across Xbox consoles, PC and mobile devices doesn't get close to 100m or even surpasses that later this decade.