By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unpopular gaming opnions

Jpcc86 said:

Ooooof. I have a number of those

On the negatives:

Super Mario 64 is terrible, and was terrible even when it originally released. The jump from 2d to 3d did Mario wrong. 
Super Mario Odyssey is massively boring

Maybe don't agree to quite the same extent but agree with the overall sentiment, damn did you nail it.

Around the Network
Ultrashroomz said:

Most of mine probably aren’t THAT unpopular...

-Smash Ultimate’s roster is pretty bloated and the core gameplay is kinda meh.
-Mega Man & Bass is one of the best classic Mega Man games.
-2D (Top-Down) Zelda > 3D Zelda.
-Xenoblade Chronicles X is boring.
-The amount of praise and crossover promotions Shovel Knight gets in relation to the actual quality of the game itself makes no sense.
-I like the lack of music on the Nintendo Switch’s menus and eShop.

@Bolded definitely a popular sentiment.

- Old school Tomb Raider handles like a dream.
- Powerslave is the best FPS ever.
- If you think Yoshi's Story is easy, then you're playing it wrong. Saying it can be completed in a couple of hours means you've misunderstood the point of the game.
- The first Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System is the best game in the series.

Secret of Evermore is a better game than Secret of Mana

The SNES is the most overrated Nintendo system, both NES and N64 are better.
Super Mario Bros 3 > Super Mario Bros. > Super Mario World (all are great though)

The Super Mario All-Stars remasters of NES games look inferior to the originals.

A Link to the Past is the most overrated Zelda game. It lacks in the creativity department. It sacrifized most of the freedom of Zelda 1, but didn't compensate with a better story or gameplay. A Link Between Worlds pretty much makes ALTTP obsolete. It is that much better.

Most RPGs overstay their welcome.

Video games should be shorter. 5-20 h is a reasonable amount of time to put in a video game. 100 h is usually not.

Racing games are better with few tracks and cars. That's one of the reasons Sega Rally Championship is the best racing game ever, though it only has 4 tracks and 3 cars. It makes it possible for the player to go in depth with the stages and mechanics.
Fighting games are better with less characters, around 10 is a reasonable amount. Again, this makes it possible for the player to go in depth.

GTA: Chinatown Wars is superior to GTA4 and GTA5.

Mario Kart Wii is a bad video game.

Around the Network

Some other unpopular opinions from myself:

Tokio Mirage Sessions is a great RPG, just the theme is handled badly (glorifying an abusive industry like J-pop and the Idol industry).
The Wii U was a great console.
The Gamecube was a great console.
The Wii was a great console, especially if you like indie games with the WiiWare titles.
The 4th gen (N64, PSOne, Saturn) was a mediocre gen all around. They had some good games, but their 3D is bad they are really off-putting to me
Speaking of N64, I never get the fascination for Mario Kart 64. Imo the worst of all Mario Kart titles by a country mile
The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is better than Ocarina of Time (not a big fan of 3D Zelda in general apart from BotW) and Link to the past. (I love it's difficulty and duels with the different knights).
KotOR ain't all that good, KotOR II is miles above, especially with the lost content mod.
Fallout 1+2 are much, much better than anything Bethesda has made with the franchise. Speaking of which:
Fallout Tactics is better than Fallout 4.

Got a new one.

Killzone series have the best and most fun FPS MP.

drbunnig said:

- If you think Yoshi's Story is easy, then you're playing it wrong. Saying it can be completed in a couple of hours means you've misunderstood the point of the game.

Exactly. Same goes for Starfox Zero.

Vinther1991 said:

Most RPGs overstay their welcome.

Video games should be shorter. 5-20 h is a reasonable amount of time to put in a video game. 100 h is usually not.

- RPGs are really boring, worst genre ever. Even sports games are more fun to play
- JRPG are by far the most boring sub-genre of the RPG genre
- FF7 on the PS1 is ugly and pointless, doesn't make any sense, and 3D sprits walking on 2D backgrounds is the worst choice ever
- Pretty much all FPS are pointless
- Online multiplayer is pointless, either go local or play alone
- Xbox fans and PS fans arguing about which console is better is even more pointless since Nintendo is killing it for years
- 3rd party games are played better on the Switch
- Cloud gaming on the Switch is the best way to enjoy cloud gaming

Sony's first-party games are mostly formulaic, unnecessarily dramatic, and overstay their welcome.

Super Mario 64, Sunshine, and Odyssey are repetitive collect-a-thons with a very limited number of stages. Give me Galaxy or the 3D games any day of the week.

All these AA JRPGs like Xenoblade, Tales, Nier, etc. are just cringy bad.

Miyamoto is overrated and responsible for a number of poor decisions inside Nintendo, perhaps just as much as good ones.

The entire 'silent protagonist' concept should be buried in the dirt and quickly forgotten.

Semi-voiced dialogue (specially when the character says something that isn't even in the subtitle) is a terrible sound design choice. Do it properly or not at all.