By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America = The main arena of this generation's console war? (Wii vs 360)

robjoh said:

I must say that I agree with this question why this fait in PS3?

The other thing is why Wii should stop selling in 2009 or more important stop selling meanwhile PS3 sells even more when it can't even sell today?

A lot of people seem to be thinking most gamers will magically get bored with the "crappy graphics" of the Wii and want to "upgrade" to "better" consoles. You know, like what happened with the PS2. A technically less advanced gaming machine being popular for longer than more expensive and powerful ones? An utter impossibility!

I hate using "these things" too much, but I feel compelled to over-emphasize how ridiculous all that is. -_-

If anything the Wii has a good chance of having a longer lifespan than normal, with graphics playing a lesser role than before, and the modular controller offering a myriad of potentially fresh approaching to gaming. Then there's also the minor factor of being the fastest selling piece of gaming hardware in history, which a lot of people seem to ignore.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Darc Requiem said:
Why would developers, given the even higher development costs of this generation, continue to poor money into to PS3 projects over 360 and Wii projects when both of those consoles provide them with the most potential profit?

Maybe they'll still port their games to PS3, but probably not taking much advantage of Blu-ray storage and any potential speedups given by the Cell (for specific things, as it has been proven that the Cell is not exceptionally fast for every single aspect of a game engine).

If the trend of poor porting and no anti-aliasing on the PS3 continues, and there's no price drop on the PS3, we can all see where things are going...

PS: One negative aspect of Blu-ray is that read speed is less than what the 360 has for DVDs. One more problem for PS3 developers... A quite interesting article:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/1/17/6658

A quite shitty article I'd rather say.  How can supossed tech-savy sites write so much fanboyish crap? 

BD reading speed is constant, whereas DVD is not, it goes half as fast near the center of the disk.

360 DVD speed: 65.6–132 Mbit/s  

PS3 BD speed: 72 Mbit/s 

Besides, I don't know about your experience, but mine is that DVDs never really perform anywhere near their theoretical maximum speeds.  Do yours do?  Have you checked? BD has to at the very least play at 54 Mbit/s as it is their spec for playing movies.  

Whatever Bethesda did with their PS3 version they seem to get it to load much faster than their 360 version as all analysis testify.  For what I've read it seems to load twice as fast.

Sorry, but I don't like lies hidden under a pseudo tech review. If somebody claims the PS3 is 3 times more powerful  than the 360 I'll also point out it is not true. So, right, the PS3 costs more money, but DVD is not better than BD.  It is in fact a worse technology. Period. If it is enough for you, fine.  I also was very happy with the Dreamcast.  But I never read anybody claiming CD was better than DVD beyond the price advantage. And of course a couple of years after I bought it it felt outdated. Let's see how it is time around.

North America is the richest continent in the world, so I guess more people can afford the consoles.

a.l.e.x59 said:
North America is the richest continent in the world, so I guess more people can afford the consoles.

Not really, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

a.l.e.x59 said:

Wow, the ignorance on this forum is simplly outstanding.

Around the Network

(Going by NPD numbers) 

360 - 5.58m (19 months)

Wii - 2.80m (7 months)

Nintendo is on it's way to catching M$ in america by end of this year.  No if,ands or buts about it.

Once again Ninty will rule the gaming industry.

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

mrstickball said:
Also, if your wondering "how can a platformer get destroyed by an FPS", one only needs to start glancing over the way of Goldeneye 007. Yes, it didn't outsell SM64, but it's the highest selling 3rd party game for Nintendo in history. Also, arguing how well a platformer will do vs. FPS, will reveal the fact that platformer sales have kind of been on the decline vs. FPS. One only can question how that'll effect SMG. Finally, I wonder: Has Nintendo even confirmed ALL 3 games are coming out this year?

not meaning to Nitpick but Goldeneye was made by Rareware which would make it a second party title.

Wii number: 2758-1649-6225-4782

Click here to level up my license!

zaphodile said:
Reason why developers has not shifted resources towards the wii: Because it's a step backwards. The best graphics I've seen on the wii has been achieveable on the PC for at least 5 years. There is nothing exiting about developing for the wii, besides the controller. Obviously that is not enough. I wouldn't want to be limited to the hardware the wii has to offer when I'm trying to make the best game ever. If the gaming business was all about money everyone would shift to the wii immediatly. That said, EA probably soon will.

Are you serious?!?

Everyone who has read your post is now dumber. Sometimes you have to step back, in order to step forward. Since when is the gaming industry not all about money? All three consoles are in it for money.

Also,Some developers are cautious to switch to the Wii because it is different.

albhum said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

Not really, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

In this case, I think GDP matters less than median discretionary spending. China is making tons of money, but most of it is not ending up in the hands of the average people.

mrstickball said:
 Please name one game that's sold 1,000,000 copies worldwide that's getting it's franchise sent to Wii-only.

Dragon Quest

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play