By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - America = The main arena of this generation's console war? (Wii vs 360)

Louis277 said:

The target audience for Halo and Mario is very different. How can Halo destroy Mario ? doubt of it....how an FPS game destroy a platformer game.....hahaha

I can't resist posting this about Halo's target audience:

So who's the target audience for Mario?

In all fairness, though, the Halo community isn't as bad as the Starcraft community.  I'm really worried about Starcraft 2. 

Around the Network
albhum said:
a.l.e.x59 said:
North America is the richest continent in the world, so I guess more people can afford the consoles.

Not really, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

Add up (on the IMF side) USA+Mexico+Canada and see if it is greater than or less than the EU+Russia. Add up World Bank's USA+Mexico+Canada v. England+France+Germany+Russia+Spain+Portugal+....GDP of NORTH AMERICA is greater than Europe or Asia. North America is more than just US.

The buying power of the people of the US is greater than the buying power of any other nation. Median Income-Cost of living= discretionary income. discretionary income * population = national buying power for nonessential products (including, video games).

When it comes to US arrogance some times I feel like we (I am a US citizen) can overestimate our own political influence and international power. However, it is an accepted fact that the US market is the most powerful market in the world. That is why international bodies and foreign governments put up with all of our crap.

Yippie for lower taxes. Some people think it is sad that in the US we have seniors and parents having to decide between perscription medicines or rent and food. I am glad I get to pick video games or saving for my own families well-being instead of paying for the medicines for people more irresponsible than me. (For the record I am 25, not rich, make US$8/hour from my job, goto a college that I have to pay for, save 20%+ of my income, and choose not to have kids until after I can provide for them)

Because of lower GDP and higher taxes you don't get to keep the money you make for the things you want to buy.

Edit: By the way I am not really a republican, I was shootiing down health care to explain why US has so much buying power. I do not think it is fair for Children (who can't do for themselves) or Seniors (who were made promises) to have to make those choices.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

cjpierciiw said:
Here is a CRAZY prediction for all you xbox fans. HALO 3 will have lower WW shipments than at least the five top games on Wii. I will even buy it on its release day to boost sales by one to help you all out. (it has been one of my most wanted games for several years anyway) Now if 2 years ago I would have told you the DS would have at least 8 games that would out sell GTA on PSP. Would you have believed me? GTA series has had far better sales than HALO has.

Yeah that is crazy prediction.  I'm curious what do you consider the top 5 upcoming Wii games (for sales)?

Quantum-Tarantino said:
mrstickball said:
 Please name one game that's sold 1,000,000 copies worldwide that's getting it's franchise sent to Wii-only.

Dragon Quest

I know Dragon Quest 9 was announced for the DS but have they announced Dragon Quest 10 for the Wii and I missed it?

*Edit: oops my mistake, I just checked wikipedia and I guess there is a future Dragon Quest spinoff game for the Wii, Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors. 

davygee said:

Developers have put too much time into the PS3 and 360 so far, to back down now...and they've been too late to join the Wii bandwagon.

As someone else posted earlier...it will be well into next year before we see decent 3rd party titles, and it's like to be nearer the end of 2008 before we see truely good 3rd party titles.

This effectively gives the PS3 some breathing space to rack up some sales. Now don't forget, they already have a whole host of titles in development and most are not due until next year. And because the developers have dedicated so much time and money on them already, then will not quit. They may and probably have, tried to pressurise Sony into a PS3 price reduction...we will see.

I expect the Wii and 360 to have approximately the same lifespan...but the 360 has 12 months of an advantage. The PS3, will slowly, but IMHO surely come from behind (ahem) and build up some solid sales. Although it needs to do this over the next 12 months, so Sony have their work cut out. The Wii IMHO will begin winding down from 2009 onwards, this is when the PS3 will be picking up momentum IMHO. The 360 has slowed already, and although there will be bursts (Halo, GT4)...it will slowly wind down from the end of 2008 onwards.

Yes, power isn't everything...but in the case of this generation; the power difference between the 360, PS3 and Wii is so different, that I reckon, this will the the eventual downfall of the Wii. It's just too similar to last generation and that and long with the Wiimote etc have seen people flock to buy it. It's easy, cheap and cheerful....but how long will this last?

Funny you should say that, because from what I've seen so far, games on the 360 and PS3, while looking far better than last generation, play too similar to last generation, while the Wii, while looking too similar to last generation, have games that play very differently from last generation!

Around the Network
zaphodile said:
Reason why developers has not shifted resources towards the wii: Because it's a step backwards. The best graphics I've seen on the wii has been achieveable on the PC for at least 5 years. There is nothing exiting about developing for the wii, besides the controller. Obviously that is not enough. I wouldn't want to be limited to the hardware the wii has to offer when I'm trying to make the best game ever. If the gaming business was all about money everyone would shift to the wii immediatly. That said, EA probably soon will.

I think you may be partially right:

There are many existing developers who have hedged their bets on ever-improving graphics (Epic, id, Crytek, Bioware and Factor 5) to name a few so for them to have spent millions on research and development into advanced graphics and physics to suddenly change direction and develop for an underpowered platform sounds pretty far out on left field.  But these are existing developers who already have their entire business revolving around creating the most sophisticated engines to create the most sophisticated games (and frequently, licensing the engine as well).  In order to do that these "big guns" are doing you need a lot of money. Loads of it.

The Wii is the indie developer's dream come true: you don't need bleeding-edge technology that costs a fortune, huge development, design, animation and art teams to get the game going, and you don't need nearly as much startup capital to get the proverbial ball rolling. Even the Wii's dev kits are offered for what, less than 3k?

That gives developers new to the field the possibility to actually jump in with their own company, doing games that they have envisioned or they want to work on, and frees them from marketing and corporate shackles. It gives them the freedom to do what they want at an unbeatable price.

So if you just graduated you can think about starting a game company without having bazillions of dollars of startup capital. If you have been working for a developer and want to break free and do your own "thing", you can start with the console that allows you to do so for far less money.

Not all games have to be graphics and physics extensive nor do they have to be mega-productions on the level of, say, Final Fantasy XIII, and for this purpose "last-gen" technology is not only more economically feasible, the growing number of developers jumping on the Nintendo bandwagon shows that this is also the preferred route.

America is not going to be where this is won at yet. America has been very able in the years to support more than one console with a lot of sales. Europe and Japan on the other hand have only been able to support one. I personally think it'll be won in Japan. Just because I think that 360 and Wii will be pretty close in America and all 3 will be close in Europe. I think it's really going to come down to Japan. But still Europe as well I guess. But America is the last place I say this war will be won in.

I think that Zucas is right, gaming growth in America will actually continue more than one console.

steven787 said:

Add up (on the IMF side) USA+Mexico+Canada and see if it is greater than or less than the EU+Russia. Add up World Bank's USA+Mexico+Canada v. England+France+Germany+Russia+Spain+Portugal+....GDP of NORTH AMERICA is greater than Europe or Asia.

That was true in the past, but things have changed. Today Canada has a GDP of 908 million EUR, Mexico has a GDP of only 618 million EUR, the US has a GDP of 10.4 trillion EUR -- total: 11.9 trillion EUR. The EU-27 plus Switzerland and Norway have a GDP of 11.7 trillion EUR. Add in Russia and Turkey, which trade mostly with Europe and are as closely tied to its markets as MExico is to the US, and European GDP easily tops 13 trillion EUR. East Asia (Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan, SE Asia etc.) has a GDP of around 8 trillion EUR, which isn't too shabby. This is all data from Eurostat, at 1 EUR = 1.2 US$. 

More importantly, the less wealthy regions of Europe and Asia are growing like mad. So short term (5 years), Europe is likely to become the largest game market of the world; longer term (10 years), Asia will probably become the largest. 

This might be true, they are conflicting sources. IMF, World Bank, and Eurostat. But that part of my comment lead to the next part, Total discretionary income time population in North America is higher than total discretionary income times population in Europe.

Not to mention that population and income aside, gaming is still bigger in the US and Canada. We should probably take out the developing countries. Europe is a very important market, and shows alot of room for growth. Asia will probably pass North America before Europe does.