By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I prefer...

3DS 77 77.78%

Vita 22 22.22%

Total:99

Hah, what a match up. This is like if the US would play Gibraltar in an all-star American Football match.

I have both these systems too actually. I got the Vita, for which I had to scour heaven and hell already to find back in 2015, because I wanted to play Uncharted Golden Abyss. A little afterwards I got Resident Evil Revelations 2 on it because I thought it would be fair to get that game on a handheld due to Revelations 1 being a 3DS game. Uncharted was fine, actually better than like say Lost Legacy, but Revelations 2 sucked. After that I never got any other game. If there ever was a system where the trope “it has no games” was applicable it is the Vita. There’s literally nothing else I wanted to buy and nothing else that even remotely interested me. I also wasn’t exactly fond of the hardware either because it was way too heavy to comfortably hold for a longer period of time, the useless back touch pad was in the way making me cramp my hands and I was never impressed by its graphics. For all its supposed power the two games I had didn’t look better than what 3DS had to offer, on the contrary. Lastly, my PSN was hacked like two weeks after I got it. Really, Vita is in the lowest region for me.

Meanwhile 3DS was great. One of the best systems there is, and perhaps the best handheld. It has plenty of games that made it to my list of favorites. To keep the comparison with Resident Evil, Revelaitons 1 was amazing, and looked a hundred times better. The 3D effect was a hit with me personally, because I could better judge distances between objects in games, most notably I got much better at jumping gaps for example. It even made me worse at jumping gaps in games on other ‘flat’ systems. It’s kind of sad that it is gone now on Switch. I ended up with a sizable collection of games over the years. The 3DS still has games I wanted but never bought, and I still haven’t finished a lot of the ones I own. There’s really only one downside about 3DS; with Triforce Heroes is has the questionable distinction of being home to the worst Zelda game.

So yeah, in case you couldn’t tell yet, 3DS with the biggest of landslides.

Around the Network

I want to like the Vita and I even consider buying one now that it's pretty cheap, but I can't think of a single Vita game I would ever want to play.

3DS has better games. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns, Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash Bros. 4, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, RE Revelations, Monster Hunter 4/Generations, AC: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Shin Megamo Tensei IV, Mario Kart 7, all the Pokémon games, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Kirby Triple Deluxe/Planet Robotot...

And those are just some of the big exclusive names. Then you have things like Rhythm Paradise Megamix, the Professor Layton saga, Bravely Default/Second, Mario and Luigi saga, Persona Q and Q2, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Etrian Odyssey IV, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/StarFox 64/Dragon Quest VII remakes, ports of old games like Xenoblade, Dragon Quest VIII and Donkey Kong Country Returns, ports of Wii U games like Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wolly World... The list is long.

And then you have to take into account that the thing is BC with the original NDS, which has an even bigger and better library. So... There's no contest. 3DS has more and better games by a long shot. And in the end that's what matters most more for a videogame console.

THAT BEING SAID... The Vita is and incredible machine. It's design is pretty much the best a portable console ever got. It's small enough to actually fit in a mid-big pocket, it's super comfy to game on it and the quality of the materials is unmatched to this day. Even the Switch pales in comparison, let alone the 3DS.

It also had some monstruous specs for its time, sitting between the 6th and 7th generations of home consoles... while the 3DS was barely at Gamecube level specs wise.

All in all, as a piece of portable hardware, the Vita just destroys the 3DS in my book and easily sits on the top of the best portable consoles of all time. In the last year, I still play with my Vita from time to time because it's just joy to play in (and I have a few remaining games). The 3DS... Not so much.

And while the 3DS has more and overall better games... The Vita is not as bad as people think it is. Sure, Sony's support was limited and most big third parties abandoned the boat in its first years of life... But even under those circumstances, the machine managed to end up with a very solid library, specially if you are into JRPGs, indies and visual novels. Gravity Rush, Muramasa Rebirth, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Little Big Planet, Killzone Mercenary, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Wipeout 2048, Persona 4 Golden, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Atelier Series, Trails of Cold Steel Series, Danganronpa Series, Stein Gate Series, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth...

Plus a bunch of great PS3 ports/cross platform games like Street Fighter X Tekken, The Sly and Ratchet and Clank Collections, Rayman Origins and Legends, Dragon's Crown, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered, Dragon Quest Builders, Playstation All-Star Battle Royale...

And also a crap ton of indies like Axiom Verge, The Swapper, Salt and Sanctuary, Guacamelee, Resogun, Undertale, Minecraft, Hotline Miami...

And finally we can ignore that the thing has access to the PSP store, so it has PSP games and PS1 games as well.

So... All in all, 3DS wins because it just destroys the Vita in terms of quality and quantity of its games. But the Vita is an incredible console from a design and specs point of view and with access to lots of great games. Both consoles are amazing. 

Never owned a Vita, so the 3DS kinda wins by default. Not really though since I could have gotten a Vita, but theres just not many games Im interested in on it.

3DS

Around the Network

The Vita has some good games, but the 3Ds library is fantastic, so I dont really see much of a competition.
As much as people want to praise the Vita's hardware; software is where its at.

3DS for me, no question. There was a long while before the Nintendo Switch that I carried my 3DS with me everywhere. I actually enjoyed the depth that the 3D function gave to games that utilized it. I bought a ton of games for it. I had fun with all of the Street Pass functions. I enjoyed the AR functionality and wish that had been taken advantage of more throughout the 3DS incredibly long lifespan. And for a long time, I was even using the camera on it more than my phone for outdoor travel pictures with family because I could set it down and start the timer on it without having to hold it awkwardly in one hand like my phone. It also didn't have the handicap of requiring price-gouging memory cards like the Vita did.

Leynos said:

VITA easily. Hands down. Without question. I'm not a fan of the 3DS. Vita is like the SEGA Saturn of handhelds. It's so full of great hidden gems. From Uppers. Macross Delta. Soldner X. A ton of RPGs, Action games that are console quality. Of course, there is also Persona 4 G and Gravity Rush. Thankfully the RPGs don't have that fucking hideous Chibi shit 3DS games have. A lot of Mecha games on Vita as well. 3DS sure it had SMT IV and DQVII on it but for the most part, 3DS was such a boring, lame system for me.

VITA is still a class-looking system. Wonderful screen. Dual analog. The only real downside was yes the memory cards. That's the one area 3DS wins. There is not a day where I'd choose 3DS over Vita.

Bold: vita has less chibi games, sure. But it still has over 10 chibi games and way more otaku fanservice games than 3ds.

Bold 2: um, L2/R2 buttons?

FragileSurface said:

Vita because it has much better games than the 3ds.

What games? So curious...

Vodacixi said:

3DS has better games. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Metroid: Samus Returns, Kid Icarus Uprising, Smash Bros. 4, Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates, RE Revelations, Monster Hunter 4/Generations, AC: New Leaf, Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land, Shin Megamo Tensei IV, Mario Kart 7, all the Pokémon games, Kingdom Hearts DDD, Kirby Triple Deluxe/Planet Robotot...

And those are just some of the big exclusive names. Then you have things like Rhythm Paradise Megamix, the Professor Layton saga, Bravely Default/Second, Mario and Luigi saga, Persona Q and Q2, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Etrian Odyssey IV, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask/StarFox 64/Dragon Quest VII remakes, ports of old games like Xenoblade, Dragon Quest VIII and Donkey Kong Country Returns, ports of Wii U games like Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wolly World... The list is long.

And then you have to take into account that the thing is BC with the original NDS, which has an even bigger and better library. So... There's no contest. 3DS has more and better games by a long shot. And in the end that's what matters most more for a videogame console.

THAT BEING SAID... The Vita is and incredible machine. It's design is pretty much the best a portable console ever got. It's small enough to actually fit in a mid-big pocket, it's super comfy to game on it and the quality of the materials is unmatched to this day. Even the Switch pales in comparison, let alone the 3DS.

It also had some monstruous specs for its time, sitting between the 6th and 7th generations of home consoles... while the 3DS was barely at Gamecube level specs wise.

All in all, as a piece of portable hardware, the Vita just destroys the 3DS in my book and easily sits on the top of the best portable consoles of all time. In the last year, I still play with my Vita from time to time because it's just joy to play in (and I have a few remaining games). The 3DS... Not so much.

And while the 3DS has more and overall better games... The Vita is not as bad as people think it is. Sure, Sony's support was limited and most big third parties abandoned the boat in its first years of life... But even under those circumstances, the machine managed to end up with a very solid library, specially if you are into JRPGs, indies and visual novels. Gravity Rush, Muramasa Rebirth, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Tearaway, Little Big Planet, Killzone Mercenary, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice, Wipeout 2048, Persona 4 Golden, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Atelier Series, Trails of Cold Steel Series, Danganronpa Series, Stein Gate Series, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth...

Plus a bunch of great PS3 ports/cross platform games like Street Fighter X Tekken, The Sly and Ratchet and Clank Collections, Rayman Origins and Legends, Dragon's Crown, World of Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remastered, Dragon Quest Builders, Playstation All-Star Battle Royale...

And also a crap ton of indies like Axiom Verge, The Swapper, Salt and Sanctuary, Guacamelee, Resogun, Undertale, Minecraft, Hotline Miami...

And finally we can ignore that the thing has access to the PSP store, so it has PSP games and PS1 games as well.

So... All in all, 3DS wins because it just destroys the Vita in terms of quality and quantity of its games. But the Vita is an incredible console from a design and specs point of view and with access to lots of great games. Both consoles are amazing. 

Some 3ds games are just as good or even better graphic than GameCube/Wii such as Resident Evil Revelation, Monster Hunter 3U, Ironfall Invasion, Kid Icarus Uprising, Monster Hunter Stories, Lightspeed.

Vodacixi said:

I think you should add 3ds virtual console games (NES,SNES,GBA) too.

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 09 April 2021

Leynos said:

VITA easily. Hands down. Without question. I'm not a fan of the 3DS. Vita is like the SEGA Saturn of handhelds. It's so full of great hidden gems. From Uppers. Macross Delta. Soldner X. A ton of RPGs, Action games that are console quality. Of course, there is also Persona 4 G and Gravity Rush. Thankfully the RPGs don't have that fucking hideous Chibi shit 3DS games have. A lot of Mecha games on Vita as well. 3DS sure it had SMT IV and DQVII on it but for the most part, 3DS was such a boring, lame system for me.

VITA is still a class-looking system. Wonderful screen. Dual analog. The only real downside was yes the memory cards. That's the one area 3DS wins. There is not a day where I'd choose 3DS over Vita.

Bold: I like chibi style games. 

The system with Kid Icarus, Etrian Odyssey and Fire Emblem. Interestingly both had Resident Evil Revelations, although different ones.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]